2019 NBA Offseason - Beastmode Cowboy Edition

One of the guys on the Ringer NBA podcast network has Clarke at #4 on his draft board, which is crazy. I really like his athleticism, but he either needs to be a good 3 point shooter (he didn't shoot many 3's in college) or an elite switchable defender, and his short wingspan was very concerning. He's also 23 already.
I think the one elite skill he will have is his ability to switch on defense. But he’s the size of a wing player with the skills of a post player. His jumper looks completely broken and he was a poor FT shooter. And like you mentioned he’s already old for a rookie. I think you can find hustle and defense for a lot cheaper than a lottery pick.

If I were in charge of the team and had to have that type of player at the 4, I’d slide Covington to the 4 and draft NAW or Little

I think the one elite skill he will have is his ability to switch on defense. But he’s the size of a wing player with the skills of a post player. His jumper looks completely broken and he was a poor FT shooter. And like you mentioned he’s already old for a rookie. I think you can find hustle and defense for a lot cheaper than a lottery pick

He can guard lots of 3's and 4's, and can be your 5 against small-ball lineups, but against regular lineups, you're going to need to play a 5 who can shoot next to him.

He can guard lots of 3's and 4's, and can be your 5 against small-ball lineups, but against regular lineups, you're going to need to play a 5 who can shoot next to him.
Which is definitely KAT but I’d worry about offensive spacing when Clarke is on the floor. Clarke will largely be ignored by the defense and KAT still needs to keep improving his ability to pass out of the double. He’s decent at it but sometimes can get careless

Which is definitely KAT but I’d worry about offensive spacing when Clarke is on the floor. Clarke will largely be ignored by the defense and KAT still needs to keep improving his ability to pass out of the double. He’s decent at it but sometimes can get careless

I think they'd be a pretty good fit, tbh. I think you can have 1 guy who can't shoot in today's NBA, but he either needs to be a rim-runner or a slasher. 2 guys who can defend the rim and are both athletic high screen and roll guys can be a lot for an opponent to deal with.

Last edited:
Jazz beat writer saying Favors would not be included in a trade for Conley.

@n_huffhines how does the money work here?

If they waive Favors, they have like $34M. So I assume that means Memphis wouldn't want him, not that the Jazz wouldn't be giving him up to make the trade.

Favors going back to Nets would be a good storyline.

I think they'd be a pretty good fit, tbh. I think you can have 1 guy who can't shoot in today's NBA, but he either needs to be a rim-runner or a slasher. 2 guys who can defend the rim and are both athletic high screen and roll guys can be a lot for an opponent to deal with.
If they could somehow do a sign and trade for D-Lo then it’d make sense but right now he’d be playing next to Teague, Tyus, Okogie, and Wiggins. None of them are great outside shooters and most teams will pack the paint

If they could somehow do a sign and trade for D-Lo then it’d make sense but right now he’d be playing next to Teague, Tyus, Okogie, and Wiggins. None of them are great outside shooters and most teams will pack the paint

I didn't think about the other guys being so inept at shooting. That's a problem going forward no matter what, so sounds like you need to draft a 3 point shooter. Kabengele or PJ Washington might be your best options. I'm not big on Hachimura.

I believe Okogie's shooting will come around.

I'm hearing rumors about #4 pick + Ball for Bradley Beal. Ball + Wall doesn't make a lot of sense, but Wall is out for the year so maybe the plan is to drive up Ball's value and trade him?

I didn't think about the other guys being so inept at shooting. That's a problem going forward no matter what, so sounds like you need to draft a 3 point shooter. Kabengele or PJ Washington might be your best options. I'm not big on Hachimura.

I believe Okogie's shooting will come around.
Tom Thibodeau constructed the roster like it was the early 2000’s. But yeah Kabengele is my favorite PF in the draft in our draft range. He’s really flown under the radar. I’d prefer to trade down and acquire more picks but Boston is probably the only partner that has the picks to move up. I think it’s a deep draft of role players so I’d prefer to grab a few to round out the roster

I'm hearing rumors about #4 pick + Ball for Bradley Beal. Ball + Wall doesn't make a lot of sense, but Wall is out for the year so maybe the plan is to drive up Ball's value and trade him?
Ball to the Wall sounds like a marketing plan

Last edited:
The CP3/Harden relationship is reportedly "unsalvageable".

Who says no to CP3 (3 years, $124M) for Wiggins (4 years, $121M)? Add Gordon for Teague?

Wow, Horford unlikely to re-sign. I guess they couldn't come to an agreement so he's looking elsewhere. Remember when we thought Boston was set to compete for the next 3 titles?

Where does he make sense?

What about this scenario?...Wizards take the #4, Ball, and Hill for Beal (and maybe a future pick?) and then NOP signs big Al. Who says no to any of that?

Jrue
Beal
Ingram
Zion
Horford

Dylan Windler is officially my steal of the draft. He should probably be a lottery pick and some lucky team is going to get him late in the 1st round. His combine measurements were good, his drills were good, he can pass, he shoots the fkn lights out (fairly quick release, high release point, and he has a great step back 3 he hits from deep), he's an animal on the boards, and he has the tools to be an adequate defender.

Reactions: volnbama_

VN Store

Back