2019 Nascar pick em contest rules

MyBloodRunnethOrange

Jesus is Lord
The rules are pretty much the same as last year. Any input welcome and appreciated.

2019 NASCAR Top 6 Pick'Em Contest Rules

1. Pick the top 6 finishers in each race, and enter your picks in the appropriate thread each week. Picks must be in the order of how you think they will finish.

2. There will be a Pole Position Pick thread for each event. Enter your pick for the pole winner and earn 5 bonus points if you pick correctly.

3. Picks are to be made from a seeded driver listing included in the entry thread. Drivers are split into three groups: A, B & C. You may ONLY PICK TWO drivers from each group. If A contestant picks 3 or more drivers from any group, then the highest finishing driver from that group will receive a score of 0.

4. As driver changes and drivers failing to qualify for races are common in Group C, contestants are responsible for making sure their picks are up to date before the deadline or risk receiving a 0 as a score for a driver not in the race. Updates will try to be given regularly to help avoid this.

5. Entries must specify the exact driver in the case of those with identical last names (example - Kyle/Kurt Busch) Entries with last name only will be awarded the points of the lowest finishing driver.

6. All picks must be entered by the deadline for each race and pole qualification. Generally that will be before the scheduled start time. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS!

7. Each race will have a tie-breaker pick which requires picking the finish position of a designated driver. If there is a tie for the winner, the contestant who most closely picked the finishing position of the tiebreaker will win. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker, then the person who made their picks first will be the winner.

Contest Format

1. Picking the pole position winner will earn 5 points. Note: If qualifying is canceled, there will be no bonus.

2. Picking the race winner will earn 5 points.

3. Picking any three of the top six will earn 3 points, picking four will earn 4, picking five will earn 5, and picking all six will earn 6.

4. Picking the top three in correct finishing order earns 3 points, four earns 4, five earns 5, and six earns 6.

5. Driver points are based on official NASCAR points awarded per finishing position, stage points, and bonus points.

Championship Rules:

The contest will follow the same format as the NASCAR Championship.

1. 16 people will make the Championship. A win in any of the first 26 races guarantees a spot in the field of 16. After all winners are filled in, the remaining spots will be added by overall points.

2. After the field of 16 is determined, all 16 will be reset to 2,000 points. After the points are reset, contestants will be given 15 bonus points for every regular season win.

3. After 3 races, points will be reset again and the field will be narrowed to 12 contestants. A win in any of the 3 races equals advancement into the next round. The rest of the field of 12 will be determined by order of points scored in the three races. The sequence will repeat for races 4-6, and again for races 7-9.

4. After The final 4 have been set, the highest finishing participant among the finalists at the final race at Homestead will be the champion.

@Freak can we get this thread stickied please?

Driver groups as of now. Any input welcome and appreciated.

A Group:
1. Kurt Busch
2. Brad Keselowski
4. Kevin Harvick
9. Chase Elliot
10. Aric Almirola
11 Denny Hamlin
12. Ryan Blaney
14. Clint Bowyer
18. Kyle Busch
19. Martin Truex
22. Joey Logano
42. Kyle Larson
48. Jimmie Johnson

B Group:
3. Austin Dillon
6. Ryan Newman
17. Ricky Stenhouse
20. Eric Jones
21. Paul Menard
24. William Byron
37. Chris Buescher
38. David Ragan
41. Daniel Suarez
43. Bubba Wallace
88. Alex Bowman

C Group:
00. Landon Cassill
7. JJ Yeley
8. Daniel Hemric
13. Ty Dillon
15. Ross Chastain
31. Tyler Reddick
32. Corey Lajoie
34. Michael McDowell
36. Matt Tifft
47. Ryan Preece
51. Cody Ware
52. TBA
62. Brendan Gaughn
66. Joey Gase
71. Ryan Truex
72. TBA
77. TBA
95. Matt DiBenedetto
96. TBA
97. Tanner Berryhill
99. TBA

Last edited:
I'm also curious about the prize from last season. I'm not really concerned about it, I had fun and was just glad to have the bragging rights lol but if there was one maybe @Freak can clarify if we were going to do that or not. It was never mentioned again after Drew's original post with the rules.

I'd put Armirola or Bowyer (leaning Bowyer) in B (just to try to even A and B out a little, A is +2). I'd put Bubba in C (28th in points), Ty Dillon ended up with more points.

I'd put Armirola or Bowyer (leaning Bowyer) in B (just to try to even A and B out a little, A is +2). I'd put Bubba in C (28th in points), Ty Dillon ended up with more points.
I considered leaving Almirola in B, but at the end of last year it got predictable with everyone picking him every week. Same reason I moved Buescher up to B. I may drop Bowyer down to B.

I considered leaving Almirola in B, but at the end of last year it got predictable with everyone picking him every week. Same reason I moved Buescher up to B. I may drop Bowyer down to B.
Buescher in B makes more sense than Bubba. It'll be interesting to see if Amirola continues his success (I'd kinda of be surprised).

Ok, so I'll drop Bowyer to B, and Bubba to C. That'll leave 12 in A group and 11 in B. I could bring another driver up from C, but anyone else in that group is a stretch. Maybe Ty or McDowell, but I don't know about either of them. Thoughts?

I'll also look at adjusting the groups around race 8-10.

Almirola honestly should have won 2-3 races last year. I think he's solid in A. If I was gonna add anybody to B I'd maybe go with Ty like you mentioned but I'd still feel like that's a stretch. Unless something wild happens or he hits pit strategy right he's usually 20-25th

Ok, so I'll drop Bowyer to B, and Bubba to C. That'll leave 12 in A group and 11 in B. I could bring another driver up from C, but anyone else in that group is a stretch. Maybe Ty or McDowell, but I don't know about either of them. Thoughts?

I'll also look at adjusting the groups around race 8-10.
That looks good. I don't think any C driver needs to be moved. A and B are about even, and none of the drivers are worthy YET

Almirola honestly should have won 2-3 races last year. I think he's solid in A. If I was gonna add anybody to B I'd maybe go with Ty like you mentioned but I'd still feel like that's a stretch. Unless something wild happens or he hits pit strategy right he's usually 20-25th
It's his first decent year in 7 full years. Looks more like a fluke at this point.

I'm also curious about the prize from last season. I'm not really concerned about it, I had fun and was just glad to have the bragging rights lol but if there was one maybe @Freak can clarify if we were going to do that or not. It was never mentioned again after Drew's original post with the rules.

Heck man you win the contest...you deserve the hardware...
Did you contact Freak reference the prize? If so he may have forgotten it...in ‘17 it took a little time and contacting him twice but I ended up with $100 Amazon in the end

Heck man you win the contest...you deserve the hardware...
Did you contact Freak reference the prize? If so he may have forgotten it...in ‘17 it took a little time and contacting him twice but I ended up with $100 Amazon in the end
I did not man. I may do that. I just don't want to necessarily have my hand out cuz it was never said that there would definitely be a prize I just assumed there was cuz there had been every year lol I'm good with bragging rights though

I did actually try to contact him and every time I do for some reason it says I don't have access to do that. It's all good.

I’d put McMurray in group B for the 500. Not in the greatest equipment but would be an easy pick in group C for many.

Good question. I plan to use the driver points as awarded by NASCAR. If A driver is disqualified and docked points then that would be reflected in the final point totals. Thoughts?

I am fine with zero points for a DQ (I assume there isn’t a negative points situation). Not sure how quickly that will be determined by NASCAR though.

Good question. I plan to use the driver points as awarded by NASCAR. If A driver is disqualified and docked points then that would be reflected in the final point totals. Thoughts?
That would make sense. If I'm thinking right, it was the same type of rule for the pole pick em last year.

I am fine with zero points for a DQ (I assume there isn’t a negative points situation). Not sure how quickly that will be determined by NASCAR though.
If im understanding right (a big if), they're supposed to take the car through post race and make the call right away.

#15 Ross Chastain, #31 Tyler Reddick, and #66 Joey Gase are running for the xfinity championship, and as such, are ineligible to earn any points in the Cup series. I won't be including them in the pick em.

I did not man. I may do that. I just don't want to necessarily have my hand out cuz it was never said that there would definitely be a prize I just assumed there was cuz there had been every year lol I'm good with bragging rights though

I did actually try to contact him and every time I do for some reason it says I don't have access to do that. It's all good.
@Freak is the easiest way now

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9

VN Store

Back