2019 Hot Seat

As much as I love to rag on the Haslams, they also were involved and donating gobs of money when we were really good. There are a lot of other things in play, and our group of boosters at large, ex-Haslams, are also incompetent.

The problem is that they've tied their donations to defacto control of the athletic department. I'm fine with with big money donors getting the ear of the AD, and to some extent, having a voice in the discussion, but Jimmy's "take my money and go home if I don't get my way" mindset is what got us in this mess with centering on Shiano as the only target after Butch's termination

The problem is that they've tied their donations to defacto control of the athletic department. I'm fine with with big money donors getting the ear of the AD, and to some extent, having a voice in the discussion, but Jimmy's "take my money and go home if I don't get my way" mindset is what got us in this mess with centering on Shiano as the only target after Butch's termination
I agree, but almost all of our boosters, not just Haslam, act that way. Charlie Ergen is the only one to seems to think that his donations are just that, donations. Everyone else acts like their donations buy them shares of ownership of the athletic department. I wish we had more Tim Cooks among our boosters...people with gobs of money and are generous with it, but aren't interested in (or are just too busy themselves) throwing their weight around within the AD. I've actually heard rumblings that since Jimmy bought the Browns, he's been somewhat less involved/focused on UT, but the Schiano mess had his fingerprints all over it, so who knows.

As incompetent as Haslam is, on the flipside if Thunder Thornton, Allan Jones, Charlie Anderson, and that faction had their way, Fulmer would probably still be the head coach, and would be able to hold on to that position until he was ready to walk away, even if that meant going 0-12 before doing so.

Derek Mason is supposedly on the hot seat. He is NOT the problem. The problem is that he’s coaching at Vanderbilt, which is the problem. He took the program to 2 bowls in 4 years.

It’s difficult to recruit there, the facilities are terrible, and there’s zero fan support. He plays a ‘road’ game virtually all season.

But...if they fire Mason, the smart move would be to look at Jeff Monken at Army. Vandy isn’t going to compete with the SEC by trying to do what everyone else does. Switching to a triple option offensive philosophy could be the key to them being more competitive in the SEC.

Hopefully Vandy doesn’t share the same thoughts as me, but it is a bold and wise move. I would hate having to face a triple option offense every season.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Derek Mason is supposedly on the hot seat. He is NOT the problem. The problem is that he’s coaching at Vanderbilt, which is the problem. He took the program to 2 bowls in 4 years.

It’s difficult to recruit there, the facilities are terrible, and there’s zero fan support. He plays a ‘road’ game virtually all season.

But...if they fire Mason, the smart move would be to look at Jeff Monken at Army. Vandy isn’t going to compete with the SEC by trying to do what everyone else does. Switching to a triple option offensive philosophy could be the key to them being more competitive in the SEC.

Hopefully Vandy doesn’t share the same thoughts as me, but it is a bold and wise move. I would hate having to face a triple option offense every season.
Actually 2 bowls in 5 years, and headed to make that 2 in 6.

IMO James Franklin being there, in addition to there just being more money in the conference than ever before, has raised expectations generally for football programs. Even Vandy. They certainly don't expect James Franklin era results every year, but they do think they can make a bowl most years. That's the impression I get and that's what I've been told by a Vandy friend of mine and a family member who went to Vandy but is a Tennessee fan. They even have an outside shot of making a bowl with 5 wins (if there weren't enough 6-win teams) because their APR is always really good.

Personally, I think the only reason Mason is still there because he's 3-2 against us. In 2016 and 2018, their 6th victory of the season came in the finale against us, and was the reason they got to a bowl. Those are the only bowls he's been to.

Vandy has had a real gift for the last decade - their big in-state rival has been awful. That used to be an automatic L on the schedule, now it isn't. In large part due to Tennessee's struggles, their path to a bowl isn't necessarily easy for them but it also isn't incredibly difficult, especially if they aren't playing a great P5 non-conference team in any given year. To get to a bowl, they need to go 3-5 in SEC play. They could even afford a 2-6 if they beat their P5 non-conference team. Then just take care of business in the other non-conference games.

If I'm Vandy, I'd make it a goal to beat Kentucky (because they are the next-worst SEC East program), then hope you catch a couple of your other conference opponents and/or your P5 non-conference on a bad day.

Reactions: Volatility

I can't understand why more teams don't go ahead and switch to the triple option, if I'm a team that's historically bad this will at least make us scary especially if you have a fast/tough QB (looking at Mississippi State & Ole Miss). Hell this is why everyone hated playing Paul Johnson at GT and now one year removed from the triple option they lose to the citadel.

Actually 2 bowls in 5 years, and headed to make that 2 in 6.

IMO James Franklin being there, in addition to there just being more money in the conference than ever before, has raised expectations generally for football programs. Even Vandy. They certainly don't expect James Franklin era results every year, but they do think they can make a bowl most years. That's the impression I get and that's what I've been told by a Vandy friend of mine and a family member who went to Vandy but is a Tennessee fan. They even have an outside shot of making a bowl with 5 wins (if there weren't enough 6-win teams) because their APR is always really good.

Personally, I think the only reason Mason is still there because he's 3-2 against us. In 2016 and 2018, their 6th victory of the season came in the finale against us, and was the reason they got to a bowl. Those are the only bowls he's been to.

Vandy has had a real gift for the last decade - their big in-state rival has been awful. That used to be an automatic L on the schedule, now it isn't. In large part due to Tennessee's struggles, their path to a bowl isn't necessarily easy for them but it also isn't incredibly difficult, especially if they aren't playing a great P5 non-conference team in any given year. To get to a bowl, they need to go 3-5 in SEC play. They could even afford a 2-6 if they beat their P5 non-conference team. Then just take care of business in the other non-conference games.

If I'm Vandy, I'd make it a goal to beat Kentucky (because they are the next-worst SEC East program), then hope you catch a couple of your other conference opponents and/or your P5 non-conference on a bad day.

Meant to say he took them to two bowls in the last 4 seasons.

I can't understand why more teams don't go ahead and switch to the triple option, if I'm a team that's historically bad this will at least make us scary especially if you have a fast/tough QB (looking at Mississippi State & Ole Miss). Hell this is why everyone hated playing Paul Johnson at GT and now one year removed from the triple option they lose to the citadel.
I agree. It's a great option for programs that simply aren't going to be able to compete at a high level because they are resource-constrained. It's definitely an option Vandy should explore.

I was always a little surprised that Georgia Tech decided to go that route. Tech isn't a historically dominant program, but they have a higher standing than Vanderbilt or the service academies. I don't think Tech's best or only shot to be successful is the triple option.

I agree. It's a great option for programs that simply aren't going to be able to compete at a high level because they are resource-constrained. It's definitely an option Vandy should explore.

I was always a little surprised that Georgia Tech decided to go that route. Tech isn't a historically dominant program, but they have a higher standing than Vanderbilt or the service academies. I don't think Tech's best or only shot to be successful is the triple option.

Yeah I agree GT doesn't necessarily need it to be successful, they should be able to get recruits in that state even if they are 2nd tier to UGA.

Yeah I agree GT doesn't necessarily need it to be successful, they should be able to get recruits in that state even if they are 2nd tier to UGA.

It’s the unwillingness to upgrade facilities which is why I believe Georgia Tech went the triple option route when it hired Paul Johnson.

Academically, they are the Vandy of the state. Regardless of their offense, recruiting will be tough. What UGA passes on will go to Auburn, Clemson, and UT or SC. Kennesaw State will pick some up. GT doesn't have a big shot at too many elite in state players.

It’s the unwillingness to upgrade facilities which is why I believe Georgia Tech went the triple option route when it hired Paul Johnson.

They don't have much real estate to upgrade with. They basically can only over haul what exists. The stadium is not horrible. Went to the GT/FSU game there years ago. I've been in worse. Also been in some HS stadiums that are better.

[After AAA Hart County got renovated, it's better than quite a few colleges, on a smaller scale. Nice brick wall surrounds about half the complex. Nice brick arch main entrance. Good stands. A lot already existed. Replaced the grass with that fancy new turf. Just lost their 1st game this year on a PI no call in the end zone. Current Junior TE going to ND. Have sent kids to AU (Ben Leard), FSU, etc.]

Vanderbilt would be foolish to fire Mason. They will never be able to find another Franklin, so they might as well stick it out with a decent enough coach who has taken them to two bowls in four years.

Seeing Jimbo that high is a head scratcher. I get they have lost their last couple. But they have been to good teams. Plus buyout means he ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
And the coaches at the top of the food chain (according to this site) are:

College Football News Midseason Head Coach Rankings 1-130
SHARES
By: Pete Fiutak | 13 hours ago

00:22