2019 Expectations in Retrospect

Hacksaw

BELIEVE THE HEUP!
Seeing that @MontyPython created a prediction thread for 2020 reminded me how rarely these are ever revisited. So I thought it might be fun to ask how close you came to predicting the outcome of the Vols' 2019 season.

I did some quick digging and the most accurate one I found was this prediction by @DougVol from way back in August in a thread started by @ArmyVol697:

"I’m going 8 wins. Also, everyone will say we should have won ten."

Uncanny. Kudos to @DougVol!

So what was your expectation and how do you feel now that 2019 is in the books?

Seeing that @MontyPython created a prediction thread for 2020 reminded me how rarely these are ever revisited. So I thought it might be fun to ask how close you came to predicting the outcome of the Vols' 2019 season.

I did some quick digging and the most accurate one I found was this prediction by @DougVol from way back in August in a thread started by @ArmyVol697:

Doug was spot on, we should have won 10. Doubtful anyone would've picked the two games we lost that we should have won before the season started, but that's life I guess.

Reactions: Hacksaw
I had low expectations before the season started. Even with some bad losses at the beginning of the year, I now feel hopeful about the Vols for the first time in a long time.
The future looks bright.

IIRC I called 7-5. Season met expectations but could have been better if we did not stink in the first 2 games.

Doug was spot on, we should have won 10. Doubtful anyone would've picked the two games we lost that we should have won before the season started, but that's life I guess.

Yeah, I'm glad Doug didn't predict our 2 losses, because then I would have no other choice but to believe in time travel.

IIRC I called 7-5. Season met expectations but could have been better if we did not stink in the first 2 games.

My expectations for 19' were 7-5 as well. But, I aint claiming to know crap. After those first 2 games I forgot everything predicted. After winning seven, it felt like we just won the natty in comparison to the end of the UF game.

My bet is that nobody(and I mean nobody) picked the season game by game results accurately. Sorta like a NCAABBall bracket, the odds are astronomical that someone gets it 100%. Nobody that I heard came close to predicting what happened this year. Wow.

That's what makes sports interesting is the unknown around every corner.

I believe I went 8-4 was the ceiling, 7-5 was expectation, and 6-6 would be upsetting. I think I predicted losses to Miss St and Missouri as well as the usual suspects (UGA, Fl, Bama).

Said 6-6 initially, revised it to 7-5 after we hired Chaney.

Of course, we did not take the path to 7-5 that I thought we would

I didn't know what to expect but I did know and repeatedly said it would be a season of strange sights and implausible wonders. Darn if it wasn't right up to the bowl game. So as I'm wont to say:

StarHawk.jpg

Normally I'm not one to brag .... ..... .....

How long until Pruitt builds an elite-D?
My take -
Given the status of our DL don't get mad at 6 wins, be happy if we win 7, and jump for joy if we win 8. Our defense will probably still be improved over last year but we're not gonna be elite starting JUCO's on the DL.
COUGH ... COUGH.....GEORGIA STATE & BYU DL ALIGNMENT ANYONE?
If our offense actually shows marked improvement we could actually be a 7-8 win 2019 team with momentum and a realistic shot at the East next year.

EDIT: It's taken 3 years but I've finally got the taste early 2016 Butch-support Crow out my mouth. Ewww... I didn't have anything to wash it down with but a jug of Vandy pi$s either.

Last edited:
I believe I went 8-4 was the ceiling, 7-5 was expectation, and 6-6 would be upsetting. I think I predicted losses to Miss St and Missouri as well as the usual suspects (UGA, Fl, Bama).

Same here. 6-6low, 8-4hi, 7-5 projected. Had losses to UF, UGA, UA, and any two of UK, USC, UM, MSU. I even believed we'd get a Vandy win. Had you told me that we sweep those 5, I would have been on the hype train pre-season.

I said the team could do better than 8 if JG had in fact improved and the O averaged more than 30 ppg. JG was inconsistent at best. The O averaged 24.2 ppg (22.8 ppg in 2018). Some complain of being "sick" of JG being brought up so often. Fortunately, the other position groups have taken some nice steps forward. He and the QB group as a whole has not.

We should have won 10. I predicted 9. Didn't expect to beat Missouri

Hilarious! Let me check the bourbon Genie

I picked 7 wins (did not include a bowl game win or loss). Don't know if it was ever put in a thread.

How Tennessee got there was entirely unexpected. I had (preseason) Tennessee losing to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi State, and Missouri). My "bold" prediction was that Tennessee would get the Will Muschamp monkey off their back.

VN Store

Back