2017 three stars player

EdEcEko77

Elite ★★★★★ Poster
2017 class should be the foundation of this 2019 program. We all know why that isn't the case, no need to rehash.

Here are some from that class that have gotten some positive pub during camp, either by media guys or the staff themselves.

Latrell Bumphus
Matthew Butler
Shannon Reid
Josh Palmer
K'Rojhn Calbert
Theo Jackson
Kivon Bennett
Jordan Murphy
Deandre Johnson

(there were others but they're never mentioned anywhere)

Give me the who's and why's from that list (or others if not listed) that you think end up contributing the most this coming season. Anyone you think could be a break out players?

Reactions: Jaws
Josh Palmer is the first name that stands out. He's a WR that can go and catch deep balls and make huge catches. Other than him, I'm really not sure. I've heard the best things about Reid out of that list, LBs are going to be a strength going forward for this team the next couple years for sure.

It appears Calbert is ready to step up and be a contributor at RG. He’s been running with the first team there since spring. Theo Jackson should continue to provide depth in the defensive backfield. Like a lot of guys, Butler has transformed his body and will see extensive time at DE this fall and may situationally slide in to the NT spot.

Palmer is THE name on the list.
Reid will contribute and has potential to move forward.
The others will compete for playing time.

If I'm not mistaken, Trey Smith was also '17. Also, Ty Chandler, Will Ignont, Maleik Gray, Timmy Jordan...

Throw in Brent Cimaglia and it would seem we have a better core of players from that class than we've had from some others in the past.

Butler looks like he is taking a major physical step forward
Palmer explodes this year
Calbert could friggin start
Bennett will be first up to give rest to 19
Murphy will be big for the shot play this year and start next year
Johnson better get better because he’s gonna start opposite 19

Reactions: tbones0711
2017 class should be the foundation of this 2019 program. We all know why that isn't the case, no need to rehash.

Here are some from that class that have gotten some positive pub during camp, either by media guys or the staff themselves.

Latrell Bumphus
Matthew Butler
Shannon Reid
Josh Palmer
K'Rojhn Calbert
Theo Jackson
Kivon Bennett
Jordan Murphy
Deandre Johnson

Give me the who's and why's from that list (or others if not listed) that you think end up contributing the most this coming season. Anyone you think could be a break out players?

all of them will have a breakout season !

Reactions: vegasvolfan

Love the optimism but with all the receivers we have, I don’t think any of them “explode”. Think they all flash and all make impact in games. But I also think all their stat lines will be relatively pedestrian based solely off the heavy rotation.

Latrell Bumphus
Matthew Butler
Shannon Reid
Josh Palmer
K'Rojhn Calbert
Theo Jackson
Kivon Bennett
Jordan Murphy
Deandre Johnson

3 star players, don’t want:)

Love the optimism but with all the receivers we have, I don’t think any of them “explode”. Think they all flash and all make impact in games. But I also think all their stat lines will be relatively pedestrian based solely off the heavy rotation.
I'd like to see Murphy get more touches or passes thrown to him. He looks small but cuts like a flash. He can make things happen after the catch fo sure.

Reactions: livefaith
I hope Bennett has a break out year. Seems like a great young man from a great family. Hope he gets his before he leaves Rocky Top.

Doesn't he deserve at least one win in Tuscaloser before leaving? I think he deserves it.

I'd like to see Murphy get more touches or passes thrown to him. He looks small but cuts like a flash. He can make things happen after the catch fo sure.

Watching practice clips got my attention with him. He looks really quick out there. Hoping he has a big year.

Others on the list that contribute could be ...
Bumphus - Glad they've got this guy pushed up to the dinner table and play DL ... he will contribute there.
Butler - Will be a key cog in our DL rotation
Reid - May start and will play plenty of snaps at our rising LB corp
Calbert - Important G in the OL rotation. May end up starting
Johnson - Hopefully makes waves on the edge
Bennett - Pushes Johnson for reps
Jackson - 3rd safety. Starts if Flowers is injured or doesn't make SO jump

All in all, this is what you want to see out of you "lower rated" recruits. Starting to become fixtures in the rotation and making plays as a upperclassmen.

/thread

Doesn't he deserve at least one win in Tuscaloser before leaving? I think he deserves it.

One thing is for sure and it's that is, it's too bad that Bennett is not quite the athlete that his dad was at Bama. His dad, Corneilus Bennett, was cut above the rest of the players playing at the time.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
One thing is for sure and it's that is, it's too bad that Bennett is not quite the athlete that his dad was at Bama. His dad, Corneilus Bennett, was cut above the rest of the players playing at the time.

Not many players in the CFB history were at that level. Honestly, that's not anything to hang his head @.

Ah, yes...that's what I get for posting before I've had my first cup of coffee.

In your defense, the comment made by the OP states:

“2017 class should be the foundation of this 2019 program. We all know why that isn't the case...” That is more of a holistic statement than the subject/title, so there are really two points presented here.

When you consider that and your point that Trey Smith, Chandler, Ignont and Jordan among others are part of that class, you have a point that negates the above statement. Also, our senior class should be the foundation of this class, not 2017.

We have had two full years for this class to prove whether or not it doesn’t live up to its hype. It is too soon to make the argument they are not. This offense played under one horrible OC and another OK OC. This will be the first year the commits from 2017 play under the same defensive coaches two years in a row.

The fact that underclassmen aren’t the foundation for a program in the most competitive league in college football isn’t just because of Jones and company. It is also because they are underclassmen competing in the most competitive league in college football.

So, it is important to consider all of this when determining their contribution the foundationthus far and whether or not they are on par. We will know so much more next year about our coaching ability and our players after this year and definitely by the end of next year.

In my opinion, it isn’t fair that anyone currently involved in this program including our seniors should be judged until they have completed their body of work or at least until the end of this year. Let’s hope those three stars contribute!

Touché that the players haven’t been set up for success and not getting on the NegaButch train! Go Vols!!!!

Last edited:
Palmer, Calbert, Murphy, Butler will be major contributors this season and the next few years barring any injury....

I think the team has alot riding on getting something out of the Johnson/Bennett competition....if one of the two becomes a consistent pass rusher, our D has a chance

Bumphus, Reid, and Jackson will be career backups and special teamers IMO

Last edited:
The fact they are still on campus, playing puts them above previous classes. Add better strength and they are prepared to give rest, make stops, get pushed, push back, and not fold. How long has it been since we could rotate players on the line of scrimmage without creating mismatches for ourselves. These 3 stars can hang.

There are good players on that list that at times can be great players in the right situation and against the right competition. Pruitt wants playmakers, not players. Playmakers elevate against all levels of competition.

Kind of off topic but how has McCullough been performing in summer camp. He had a huge spring game

VN Store

Back