2010/11 Vols, The Streetfighters

MikeHamiltonFan

We have had the Fab 5 for Michigan, and some other famous teams over time. Reading the stories from Villanova the description that Jay Wright had of the Vols wanting to make the game a "street fight" stood out.

"Coach told us they were going to come out and make it a street fight," Stokes said.

Pearl and the Vols don't lose street fights.
Tennessee Vols win NIT preseason title for coach Bruce Pearl - CBK News | FOX Sports on MSN

NEW YORK - Villanova coach Jay Wright admitted he told his team that Tennessee would try to make the NIT Season Tip-Off championship game a street fight but said he meant it "in a complimentary way."

However, the seventh-ranked Wildcats, who never seem to mind that style of basketball, didn't have an answer for the physical play of the No. 24 Volunteers on Friday night. They shot poorly from the field and suffered their first loss of the season, a 78-68 decision at Madison Square Garden.

For Villanova (5-1), guards Corey Fisher and Maalik Wayns shot a combined 4 of 21 from the field, didn't make a three-pointer in eight attempts, and committed 11 of their team's 13 turnovers. The Vols (5-0) didn't allow them much in the way of penetration to the basket.

"I love how they play," Wright said. "You have to be smart in a street fight. I thought they were a little tougher and a little smarter. When they drove the ball and we helped, they made extra passes. We kind of tried to challenge the big guys every time. We have to get better at it."

Read more: Tennessee tops Villanova, 78-68, to win NIT Season Tip-Off championship game | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/27/2010
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Wright also said the Vols "soft blitzed" Volunteers beat 'Nova for NIT crown | SNY.tv: News

They are fighting the distractions from off court
They are fighting through screens to play hard defense
They are fighting for loose balls
They are fighting for rebounds
They are fighting for respect.

If TN stands up and does not lose a game against Memphis, Pitt, USC, and the first 8 without Pearl plus UConn, this team will be a lock for a number 1 seed barring a complete collapse.

If they stand up in March with Maymon and a 10 deep rotation that fights hard every play and is deeper and stronger and hungrier than their opponents, they will become the best and most famous team in the history of Tennessee basketball.

From Goins to Hopson, to Harris to Williams to Fields to Tatum to S. Pearl, I want them to become legendary as a group, as a family. I like the name "The Street Fighters."

viewpic.php

Streetfighters is absolutely the name I want attached to a Vols squad in the same year we had a tam that lost a player and had others suspended for an actual street fight.

Pinkston was suspended for being a real streetfighter at nova. Would have been a closer game if he played imo.

We should never be abused by a tougher team in the SEC. Kanter and jones would be real hard to stop, but kanter is unlikely to get eligible.

Fields and maymon are tough. Last time we had tougness on the interior like b will should be bringing was the black and hathaway era. Crews and chism could have been tough together if crews had no fought too much off the court.

Chip on our shoulder, I hope we roll people and still play like we are being disrespected no matter how much our ranking rises.

Us against the world. Warriors come out to play.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We have had the Fab 5 for Michigan, and some other famous teams over time. Reading the stories from Villanova the description that Jay Wright had of the Vols wanting to make the game a "street fight" stood out.

"Coach told us they were going to come out and make it a street fight," Stokes said.

Pearl and the Vols don't lose street fights.
Tennessee Vols win NIT preseason title for coach Bruce Pearl - CBK News | FOX Sports on MSN

NEW YORK - Villanova coach Jay Wright admitted he told his team that Tennessee would try to make the NIT Season Tip-Off championship game a street fight but said he meant it "in a complimentary way."

However, the seventh-ranked Wildcats, who never seem to mind that style of basketball, didn't have an answer for the physical play of the No. 24 Volunteers on Friday night. They shot poorly from the field and suffered their first loss of the season, a 78-68 decision at Madison Square Garden.

For Villanova (5-1), guards Corey Fisher and Maalik Wayns shot a combined 4 of 21 from the field, didn't make a three-pointer in eight attempts, and committed 11 of their team's 13 turnovers. The Vols (5-0) didn't allow them much in the way of penetration to the basket.

"I love how they play," Wright said. "You have to be smart in a street fight. I thought they were a little tougher and a little smarter. When they drove the ball and we helped, they made extra passes. We kind of tried to challenge the big guys every time. We have to get better at it."

Read more: Tennessee tops Villanova, 78-68, to win NIT Season Tip-Off championship game | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/27/2010
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Wright also said the Vols "soft blitzed" Volunteers beat 'Nova for NIT crown | SNY.tv: News

They are fighting the distractions from off court
They are fighting through screens to play hard defense
They are fighting for loose balls
They are fighting for rebounds
They are fighting for respect.

If TN stands up and does not lose a game against Memphis, Pitt, USC, and the first 8 without Pearl plus UConn, this team will be a lock for a number 1 seed barring a complete collapse.

If they stand up in March with Maymon and a 10 deep rotation that fights hard every play and is deeper and stronger and hungrier than their opponents, they will become the best and most famous team in the history of Tennessee basketball.

From Goins to Hopson, to Harris to Williams to Fields to Tatum to S. Pearl, I want them to become legendary as a group, as a family. I like the name "The Street Fighters."

Goog post, thanks

GBO

Definitely thought I was going to see a comparison of the characters and the players.

B Williams reminds me of the Brazilian cat.

VN Store

Back