2006 AFCA Coaches' All America Team Announced

Johnson has been the media darling all year. Even with stats greatly surpassing Johnson Meachem has been looked over.

Johnson is a man among boys out there; I like Meachem a lot, but he's nowhere near as good as Calvin Johnson. Johnson's been severely handicapped by having Reggie Ball throw at him all year; give him Ainge and their stats wouldn't be close.

Having said that, an argument could certainly be made that it's a team sport and Meachem deserves the slot because he's been able to do more on the field this year. But Johnson's easily the better receiver.

Johnson is a man among boys out there; I like Meachem a lot, but he's nowhere near as good as Calvin Johnson. Johnson's been severely handicapped by having Reggie Ball throw at him all year; give him Ainge and their stats wouldn't be close.

Having said that, an argument could certainly be made that it's a team sport and Meachem deserves the slot because he's been able to do more on the field this year. But Johnson's easily the better receiver.

Johnson is the only one to get receiving yards for them. We actually have other guys who have stats.

I'm glad for Arron Sears, but some of the guys they've put on that roster are a bit ridiculous.

We have other guys who have stats because we have a good quarterback. Johnson and GT are saddled with Reggie Ball, who is so schizophrenic he makes Jamarcus Russell look like Johnny Unitas back there. If Johnson had Erik Ainge throwing to him all year he might have won the Heisman.

There's no question Meachem's stats are better; he's got 67 catches for 1265 yards ands 11 TDs, while Johnson has 59 catches for 899 and 13. So if the question is, "in the context of a team sport, who has the most quantifiable accomplishments?", then it's Meachem. If it's "who is the best player?" then it's Johnson.

We have other guys who have stats because we have a good quarterback. Johnson and GT are saddled with Reggie Ball, who is so schizophrenic he makes Jamarcus Russell look like Johnny Unitas back there. If Johnson had Erik Ainge throwing to him all year he might have won the Heisman.

There's no question Meachem's stats are better; he's got 67 catches for 1265 yards ands 11 TDs, while Johnson has 59 catches for 899 and 13. So if the question is, "in the context of a team sport, who has the most quantifiable accomplishments?", then it's Meachem. If it's "who is the best player?" then it's Johnson.

Meachem has only 8 more catches than Johnson and 366 more yards? How does that make Johnson better?

Meachem has only 8 more catches than Johnson and 366 more yards? How does that make Johnson better?

Both players are dependent on someone else to get the ball to them. Meachem's quarterback could be all-SEC next year; good old Reggie Ball can barely throw downfield. Therefore, Meachem has better statistics.

Look, this is nothing against Meachem; I'll go turn a cartwheel out in the yard if he decides to come back for his senior year. He's the best receiver UT's had in a long time. But I see a lot of Tech games down here, and Johnson's spectacular. (He has to be, because everything he catches is either over- or underthrown.) He's Randy Moss, but with a great attitude. He's an easy top 5 pick if he comes out early.

Both players are dependent on someone else to get the ball to them. Meachem's quarterback could be all-SEC next year; good old Reggie Ball can barely throw downfield. Therefore, Meachem has better statistics.

Look, this is nothing against Meachem; I'll go turn a cartwheel out in the yard if he decides to come back for his senior year. He's the best receiver UT's had in a long time. But I see a lot of Tech games down here, and Johnson's spectacular. (He has to be, because everything he catches is either over- or underthrown.) He's Randy Moss, but with a great attitude. He's an easy top 5 pick if he comes out early.

I have to agree. No disrespect to Meachem, but Calvin Johnson is an absolute freak; especially in light of the fact that his QB is a destitute man's Michael Vick.

sorry but the coaches may know a tad bit more than you

That's possible. It's also possible I know more. Those are the possiblities. But thanks for apologizing for your ridiculous post. If you'll notice, I didn't insult Aaron Sears, which is the only reason I can surmise is the motivation for this. As for the rest of the picks: I look forward to some receiver from UTEP being drafted ahead of Robert Meachem, Jeff Smardjzia, and Dwayne Jarrett.

VN Store

Back