2005 - 2006 Seasons: What happened?

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
In 2005 UT had 5 guys drafted into the NFL, and they were picked as National Champion preseason.
They went 5-6. Had a nice win against LSU, but not much else.

2006 they dismantle heavily favored #9 California with Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett, Desean Jackson.
They end the regular season 9-3

In 2005 they averaged 18 ppg
In 2006 they averaged 30 ppg
- Remember this was in an era when defense could still be played properly.

What caused the big jump in wins and production?
How did a 5-6 ball club that lost 5 NFL Draft picks suddenly become better? They started scoring.
Where did the talent come from to all of a sudden produce points? Transfers? Big time 2006 recruiting class??
No. They used the exact same personnel and improved by two scores. BECAUSE THE TALENT WAS ALREADY THERE. .....David Cutcliffe was the difference

Some of you think we don't have any offensive talent.
Yall are saying we go 4-8, 6-6 at best???????

We just got a coach that improves offense everywhere he goes the past 5 years including two of those in the SEC.

2020 we averaged 21.5 points a game in the Era of explosive offense.
Do you all really think Heupel won't improve on that?
Qb avg 4 star
RB avg 4 star
Wr avg 4 star
Ol avg 4 star

Yall better wake TF up!

JG aint at QB, and we sure as hell don't have Pruitt and his ancient concepts of winning football around anymore.

Ya I agree. When we named fulmer ad amd he said he was looking for a defensive minded coach that was the first sign of things to come. That’s not what the game is anymore. Then combine a coach that’s a defense first guy that didn’t understand the significance of qb play and you get what we got

Reactions: 08Vol and LittleVol
Ya I agree. When we named fulmer ad amd he said he was looking for a defensive minded coach that was the first sign of things to come. That’s not what the game is anymore. Then combine a coach that’s a defense first guy that didn’t understand the significance of qb play and you get what we got
Yup. Two guys that were way out of style.

Pruitt is still a good coach, but limited.

2005 Rick Clausen started a lot of games because of the LSU meltdown in the first half by Ainge. In 2006, the coaches came to their senses and restored Ainge as the full time starter.

Reactions: MSCE09
If cut hadn’t called that Illadvised “Hail Mary” before the half vs ND, they’d only lost 1 game that year and that would have been by 1 pt to fla. Ainge getting hurt on that play cost Tennessee the ND & LSU games.

Reactions: macrovol and Kinger
We played Rick Clausen hoping to land Jimmy for a few too many games. when they should've gone back to Ainge.

We played Rick Clausen hoping to land Jimmy for a few too many games. when they should've gone back to Ainge.
Ainge was injured too iirc.

But it wasnt just that. Our offense was just stagnant period.
Cutcliffe was the difference.

That 06 team with a little luck could have been unbeaten. The refs screwed us vs Florida for brushing Chris Leakes Facemask taking away a pick six. Ainge was hurt vs LSU and Arkansas which cost us big. Tennessee’s last truly elite team. The 07 one was good but no where close to how special that 06 one was. I’ll always remember Justin Harrel playing with one arm vs Florida. What a man that was his last game. He did Reggie White proud wearing the 92 like that.

Reactions: BartW
i think fans are the only ones who play that game... have a tough time thinking that's why rick played as much as he did. he was just good at managing the offense imo

That 06 team with a little luck could have been unbeaten. The refs screwed us vs Florida for brushing Chris Leakes Facemask taking away a pick six. Ainge was hurt vs LSU and Arkansas which cost us big. Tennessee’s last truly elite team. The 07 one was good but no where close to how special that 06 one was. I’ll always remember Justin Harrel playing with one arm vs Florida. What a man that was his last game. He did Reggie White proud wearing the 92 like that.
Reading this made me think of something- names & history of numbers. It’d be cool if incoming players received a “history lesson” of numbers; if you wear this number you have to uphold the type of play and respect for the game this player had in order for you to wear this number. So many numbers worn by outstanding players for us.

Reactions: lukeneyland
If cut hadn’t called that Illadvised “Hail Mary” before the half vs ND, they’d only lost 1 game that year and that would have been by 1 pt to fla. Ainge getting hurt on that play cost Tennessee the ND & LSU games.
Actually, that was 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: lukeneyland

That wasn't Cut, it was Sanders and it was in 2004. I agree, though, it was a stupid call. Just go to the half in that instance.

Last edited:

That was a good time..... me and a buddy were tailgating when a large group of college girls came by with a bunch of beer...... they had us shotgunning within five minutes. Apparently they thought 38 year olds were older than dirt and couldn’t believe we could hang

VN Store

Back