'20 TN SG Matthew Murrell

In the last 2 recruiting cycles how many misses has he had? Early on there definitely were some, but of late he’s absolutely hitting a much higher percentage.

I'm still interested to know the long list of recruits Barnes lost to Stackhouse. Guess I'll have to wait until @Roustabout finishes his tantrum.

In the last 2 recruiting cycles how many misses has he had? Early on there definitely were some, but of late he’s absolutely hitting a much higher percentage.
I guess I’ll have to go do the homework.
Cone and Mann jump out from this cycle

Are you telling my that Kent and Walker were worthy prospects and that Barnes couldn’t have done better than that? And that they didn’t miss on better recruits to have to fill those spaces with them?

Reactions: Steven5198
We’ll see who ends up signed. As I said Cone and Mann are the most recent. Jalen Johnson, Kent and Walker were all below spec and you can’t convince me that those were the best players Barnes was capable of getting.
It’s certianly impressive who UT is in on, and that is kind of my point. Our recruiting prospects look much better now than they did. Doesn’t change what I stated. I’m suspect on both transfers, but we’ll see. I’m sure there are Nebraska fans who are pumped about Walker.

Reactions: Steven5198
I guess I’ll have to go do the homework.
Cone and Mann jump out from this cycle

Are you telling my that Kent and Walker were worthy prospects and that Barnes couldn’t have done better than that? And that they didn’t miss on better recruits to have to fill those spaces with them?
Josiah James > Cone and Mann

Jalen Johnson, Kent and Walker were all below spec and you can’t convince me that those were the best players Barnes was capable of getting.

At the time he signed, I'm sure you would have included Grant W. in that group.

You seem to be under the impression that Barnes inherited a program on par with Duke, rather than the dumpster fire that it actually was. Maybe we could have signed "better" players than those three, but I don't remember a bunch of Top 100 kids falling over themselves to sign with UT in the first few years of the Barnes tenure.

At the time he signed, I'm sure you would have included Grant W. in that group.

You seem to be under the impression that Barnes inherited a program on par with Duke, rather than the dumpster fire that it actually was. Maybe we could have signed "better" players than those three, but I don't remember a bunch of Top 100 kids falling over themselves to sign with UT in the first few years of the Barnes tenure.
My history on Williams is on this forum. I was a huge supporter of his recruitment. So, your wrong as hell.

More nonsense. I expected some equity from a coach like Barnes. There was virtually none.

I’d be shocked if we get this guy. UT just can’t infiltrate Memphis hoops recruits. That really goes for a lot of programs. The only chances UT has are with the private school kids and suburban area players. They’re more likely to leave their hometown.

I saw that Matthew is transferring to IMG for his senior season in this thread. Well done young man..God’s speed!

Making a major move within the recently updated Rivals150, Matthew Murrell is everything one looks for in a next-level scoring guard. The highly athletic junior discussed his ongoing recruitment and when he might make his college decision. Just last month, Murrell’s former high school coach, Faragi Phillips, was named an assistant coach at Vanderbilt. Many believed that a commitment would follow, a move that Murrell made sure to clarify. “Some coaches have brought it up but I have told them that my recruitment is open,” he stated. Vanderbilt is a heavy presence within his recruitment, though, as is Florida, Iowa State, Memphis, NC State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and a handful of others, he told Rivals.com.
Florida: “They are just telling me that they love my motor and how I play going up and down.”
Iowa State: “They just talk about how they transform their guards and that they are able to get high-level guards and that I would fit into their system.”
Memphis: “He (Penny Hardaway) hasn’t really reached out to me much since the end of the season, but he just tells me that he likes me as a player and that I need to find a way to use my athleticism in the best way possible.”
NC State: “They have been there a long time. Coach (Kevin) Keatts has always been there. They just love my athleticism.”
Ole Miss: “They said they see me as a Terrence Davis-type and as someone that can get stuff done.”
Tennessee: “That has been Coach (Kim) English talking to me since he came in. They are obviously a good school. I may try and go up there in the fall.”
A timeline towards a commitment has yet to be set. “My recruitment is still open. I plan on cutting my list in August,” he said. “I just feel like there are still more opportunities out there.” Murrell will complete his high school career at IMG Academy but, beforehand, will likely trim his school list. “I probably won’t make any visits before I leave for school,” he said. “I will probably cut my list and then schedule my visits.” The definition of a two-way guard that can get it going with the long-range jumper, Murrell is one of the top priority prospect out of the southeast. A 6-foot-3 scoring guard that can make for a giant impact on the defensive end, too, Vanderbilt is a strong suitor thanks to the employment of his former coach, but more time will play out before a college commitment takes place.
-VQ

Made All Tourney team at UAA Finals
Simply put, Murrell was a monster over the final two days at UAA while leading his Team Thad squad to a championship win. Look, he's always been a big-time athlete but when he's hitting shots and handling the ball like he was the last couple of days, he's on another level and he looks like a potential All-Conference type talent wherever he ends up. Jerry Stackhouse has made him a major priority at Vanderbilt (he even hired Murrell's high school coach) while Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Memphis, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Tennessee among others are involved to one extent or another.
-Bossi

Does anyone have any current info on the recruitment of Murrell? Would love to see Tn take him and Johnson. That would be make a great backcourt for the Vols after a year playing in the SEC.

A top target for some of the best programs in and outside of his region, Matthew Murrell is ready to take the next step in his recruitment. A 6-foot-4 scoring guard that plays both ends, Murrell discussed his successful summer, the schools that remain involved in his recruitment and when he plans on trimming his school list. “It went successful. We won the (Under Armour) Finals,” he said about his time with the Team Thad program this summer. “I just bring the desire to get after it on defense, but I am also going to make shots. Defense just makes offense much easier.” About nine or ten schools have been in constant contact with Murrell, including Florida, Iowa State, Memphis, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and, a newcomer to his recruitment, Texas, he told Rivals.com.
Florida: “They have a nice program. They have a top 10 team this season and I think that they are going to do something special.”
Iowa State: “They are all about their guards there.”
Memphis: “They have just said that I can come in and be a big-time player there. I have no problems staying at home for college, but I also have no problems going away for college.”
Ole Miss: “They see me as someone like Terence Davis, so that isn’t bad.”
Texas: “They have just been telling me that they need some big-time guards to come in there.”
Vanderbilt: “We have a good relationship. I feel like I can help coach Stackhouse and that he can help me get better.”
Murrell has not been willing to show his hand with who has stood out in his recruitment, but he is ready narrow things down to a more condensed list. “I will probably cut my list some time in the fall to five or six,” he said. Headed to IMG Academy this fall, Murrell saw his former high school coach, Faragi Phillips, hired at Vanderbilt as an assistant coach. However, such a move will not bring an immediate commitment from Murrell to the Commodores. “No matter the situation, if I don’t feel that it is the right fit for me, I am not going to go,” he said. Murrell has yet to schedule any of his five official visits, but he is expected to take each this fall. In the meantime, look for a final school list to be produced in the coming weeks and a commitment to be made thereafter with a signing in November.
-Rivals

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back