'20 FL SF Corey Walker (Committed 3/3/2019)

These are strange times for everyone in our country and that certainly includes prospective college athletes who were expecting to be joining their future programs next month for the start of summer school. Tennessee signee Corey Walker Jr. is one of those athletes dealing with the uncertainty of the current situation. “My trainer and my brother and myself do our best to find empty outdoor courts where we can do skill work, and we do that just about everyday,” he said. “I have some weights at home, so I’m lifting everyday, but nobody’s going to a gym or anything like that where there’s a lot of equipment.” He’s also in frequent contact with Tennessee coaches and strength and conditioning staff, conversations that both are intended to keep him motivated as well as to provide some direction on drills and areas that he needs to focus on. “I talk to the coaches at least three or four times a week and they’re good talks, about a lot more than basketball,” Walker Jr. said. “Then I get texts all the time from G giving me advice on what to eat, what kind of lifts or drills to do. Then I talk or text with Keon and Jaden a lot.
“It’s obviously different than what we all wish it was but we’re staying connected and just waiting things out.” In addition to getting in as much work as he can, Walker’s days also include finishing up his academic requirements at Hargrave. “We’re doing online classes every day, usually from about 9-to-3,” he said. “It’s an adjustment but it’s been going smoothly and I’m finishing everything up in good shape.” Things started shutting down and sporting events were being cancelled while Walker Jr. and his team were competing in a national prep school tournament in Connecticut. To say that the cancellation of that tournament and his attempts to return home to Florida were a struggle is an understatement. “We had just finished playing a game when we found out they were cancelling the rest of the tournament. We had taken buses up there, so we had to bus back to Hargrave (in Central Virginia),” he recalled. “Once we got back to campus they wouldn’t let us go back in the dorms because they didn’t know if anyone was infected.
“I ended up having to leave a bunch of stuff there and just try to figure out how to get home. Half my clothes, a bunch of my shoes and my iPad are still there.” Getting home to Florida brought another challenge. Walker’s parents had been in Connecticut to watch him play and headed home themselves with no one aware that Hargrave was going to be shutting everything down and sending players home for the year. “Luckily one of my teammates lives in Florida too and his parents hadn’t made it back yet. They were able to change direction and pick us up thankfully and I was able to get home that way. Luckily I didn’t have my Playstation at school with me,” he said with a laugh. Walker is part of what is arguably the best recruiting class in program history, certainly the best during Rick Barnes’ time in Knoxville. He, Johnson and Springer comprise a class that was ranked No. 4 nationally and was recently bolstered by the addition of graduate transfer E.J. Anosike.
-VQ

VN Store

Back