20 Famous Lunches That Have FADED Into History!

VolFaninFla

I got a lot of nostalgic hunger from this video🤤😋

I’ve had some of these great dishes but I’ve never eaten Spam nor a few others

Last edited:
Reactions: malinoisvol
This would be more fun if it wasn't 17 minutes long. Holy cow. Several of these I never heard of, and several I remember quite well. The "SOS" and a few similar runny items I'm sure hit a surge of popularity when they came out in cheapo precooked boil-in-the-bag versions. I don't think anybody would eat Stroganoff for lunch unless it was the boil-in-the-bag version. The real thing is certainly not going out of style. I know guys in the army got plenty of SOS on uncle sam's dime, but I don't think they clamored for more of it at home.

Simliarly, I have to think tuna noodle casserole would not be on any list of "popular" lunches without hamburger -oops- tuna helper. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I ate a lot of those in my childhood, and some at my grandparents' house. About the only one we still do regularly is stroganoff, but it's a much different animal when made from the trimmings off a whole beef tenderloin (tail, chain, etc), portobello mushrooms, thickened bone broth, and Greek yogurt.

Ate almost all of those as a kid growing up. Now I'm hungry.

Call me silly, but if you've never had a fried spam sammi with cheese, you've led a boring life. Or spam fried rice hawaiian style.

This would be more fun if it wasn't 17 minutes long. Holy cow. Several of these I never heard of, and several I remember quite well. The "SOS" and a few similar runny items I'm sure hit a surge of popularity when they came out in cheapo precooked boil-in-the-bag versions. I don't think anybody would eat Stroganoff for lunch unless it was the boil-in-the-bag version. The real thing is certainly not going out of style. I know guys in the army got plenty of SOS on uncle sam's dime, but I don't think they clamored for more of it at home.

Simliarly, I have to think tuna noodle casserole would not be on any list of "popular" lunches without hamburger -oops- tuna helper. I could be wrong.
Did alot of hamburger and tuna helper in college on the poor student budget. A well as kraft mac n chesse blended with tomato soup and a grilled cheese. Don't let that one scare you. I still have a taste for that one.

There were times we knew money was tight. Many times growing up, we had the canned chicken ala king served on biscuits, or the chipped beef and gravy on toast for dinner.

Why would this guy think pimento cheese sammi's are out of style? They just a notch under PB. Jelly optional. Or a proper egg salad sammi. Still keep a few viennas in cabinet for quick snack but don't eat them much. The devil ham and potted meat had to stop a long time ago.

Maybe 3 or 4 on that list never had.

Last edited:
Heck, pimento cheese has made a comeback, if anything. It's on the menu at high end restaurants and better bbq joints across the south.
And Bojangles.

I like pretty much any pimento cheese, but for the slap yo mama pimento cheese we make our own. And no pre-shredded cheese. Too dry. We basically use two recipes.

One is Tyler Florence's: 16oz fresh shredded. Chopped roasted red pepper. Mayo. That simple and fantastic.

Forget who's this is: 16oz fresh shredded. 1/2C (or so to liking) chopped toasted pecans. 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion. 4oz jar pimento. 1tsp hot sauce. 1tsp worcestershire. Dash cayene if wanted. Mayo. We make this one when not whipping up the quick version above. Also fantastic.

Some lightly toasted baguette slices with EVOO. Dinner is served.

A PC stuffed summer tomato is also the bomb.

I always do one block regular sharp cheddar, and one block extra sharp white cheddar.

Last edited:
We had plenty of fried spam sammiches as a kid. Slap some mustard on there and it was good stuff.
It's one of those things you can't be a spam snob about. I did have spam fried rice for the first time a couple months ago. totally addicted.

My version is just fried span, slice of cheese and mayo. If garden tomatoes are in season, it'll get a slice.

IDK what it is about sloppy Joes, but I can throw down on those MFs. One time I ate 8 and could've kept going. That's not mormal for me

important question.

when people say "sloppy joe" what do they mean?

are we talking a Manwich, all ground beef with two buns?
or are we talking a real sloppy Joe, where its beef, beans, and only a single bun?

Heck, pimento cheese has made a comeback, if anything. It's on the menu at high end restaurants and better bbq joints across the south.
Love pimiento cheese! Especially fond of Mrs. Grissom's double entendre jingle: "If you've got the bread, Mrs. Grissom's got the spread."

Reactions: GVF
As a kid Sloppy Joe was an invitation to chow down any time of day. I don't know about "lunch" but beef stroganoff is to this day what mom will make for my birthday. Fried Spam sammies (or just baloney for that matter) was a common quick lunch. I can't begin to tell you how many vienna sausage/deviled ham and crackers were eaten out in the field or on boats back in the day.

important question.

when people say "sloppy joe" what do they mean?

are we talking a Manwich, all ground beef with two buns?
or are we talking a real sloppy Joe, where its beef, beans, and only a single bun?
SJ's to me are ground beef and a can of SJ mix off the shelf. No beans in my experiences. However...a baked bean sammie or a cold sketti sammie are fine quick snacks from leftovers.

VN Store

Back