1997 SEC championship on ESPNU

I remember watching that game. I was so frustrated I almost threw a beer at the TV.
Then didn’t we get abused by Nebraska in the bowl game?

I'm pretty sure we had 7 turnovers in that game, but Auburn also shot themselves in the foot a lot in the 2nd half. They had like 8 false start penalties, and negative rushing yards (against a pretty average Tennessee defense).

I remember watching that game. I was so frustrated I almost threw a beer at the TV.
Then didn’t we get abused by Nebraska in the bowl game?
Most teams got abused by Nebraska. They were beating the brakes off teams. Won the conference championship 54-15 vs A&M. They were dominating. They had to be co-champs because Michigan got to play Washington St, who was ranked 8th in the country, instead of a team like Florida St or Florida due to bowl game alliances. It was a flawed system, which is why they brought us the BCS. I have no doubt in my mind that if Nebraska and Michigan played for the title that year, Nebraska would have been unanimous champs.

Most teams got abused by Nebraska. They were beating the brakes off teams. Won the conference championship 54-15 vs A&M. They were dominating. They had to be co-champs because Michigan got to play Washington St, who was ranked 8th in the country, instead of a team like Florida St or Florida due to bowl game alliances. It was a flawed system, which is why they brought us the BCS. I have no doubt in my mind that if Nebraska and Michigan played for the title that year, Nebraska would have been unanimous champs.

That Nebraska team would have clownstomped Michigan, who were about as equipped as we were to play them. We were #3 or 4 heading into the game. A convincing win against us with Peyton should’ve been much more valuable than a win against Wa State with Ryan Leaf.

I have no doubt that Nebraska team would've murdered Michigan...And I mean badly.

I was at this one with my buddy from Auburn. We both managed to be reasonably good sports!

After last Saturday night, I’m surprised ESPN isn’t running a continual loop of all of Fulmer’s losses to Spurrier along with losses to Memphis and Wyoming, Georgia State, and Vandy
They showed the 1997 games against both Arkansas and Alabama the other night. Both teams of announcers in those games frothed at the mouth praising UT pretty much the entire game. The " ESPN hates us" narrative is false. They love the best teams. It's that simple, and will pile on the fallen teams as well. Especially programs like ours who bring grief upon themselves with stupid activity

VN Store

Back