1989 UCLA game

I was there too. It was so miserable that at halftime we retreated to the concourse to get out of the sun. I'm pretty sure that was the day that Smokey ended up with heat exhaustion. When a coondog passes out, it's HOT!
It was when Smokey got heat exhaustion. I forgot they put him on the injury report! He died later that year.

Smokey VI " During the 1991 UCLA game, Smokey suffered heat exhaustion in the 100+ degree temperatures and was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. A kennel mate named "Woody" took over for him while he recovered. Smokey VI died in late 1991 of brain cancer at 10 years old."

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I was there too. It was so miserable that at halftime we retreated to the concourse to get out of the sun. I'm pretty sure that was the day that Smokey ended up with heat exhaustion. When a coondog passes out, it's HOT!
That was back when I had season tickets and I was there at that game. Some folks were fighting in the stands because of the heat. Two rows down from me some girls were putting up umbrellas to shield from the sun and the people behind them asked them nicely to put the umbrellas down and were told no. After asking for the 3rd time and being told no, one of the guys went and got security and they made them take the umbrellas down or leave.

I made more than 1 trip to the concourse....In fact I stood in the concourse most of the 4th quarter. I would have to say that's the hottest game I've ever attended.

I was a SR in HS living in Charlotte, NC. I was able to listen to the game through my TV. Somehow, back then you could pick up AM signals through cable TV and I found the game on a channel.
It was strange, even back then, that the game was not televised. I remember listening to John Ward's call as well... and being mad that it wasn't on ESPN. The best running attack we have ever had was in 1989. Andy Kelly should have been the starting QB from the outset, however. We didn't make good enough use of our WR's, Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Vince Moore and Thomas Woods until much later in the season. That was one hell of an offense.

That game started about a 16 year run of great football. Coming off a 5-6 season, we went out there and absolutely beat the crap out of those guys. Between the Cobb-Webb combo and that o-line, that was about as good as it gets as far as a running game.

Don't forget the Fullbacks. ;)

Agree with the great players....I would argue that the offensive line which consisted of Antone Davis, John Fisher, Charles McRae, Tom Myslinski, and Eric Still was as good as any offensive line that UT has ever put on the field at the same time.
Best ever I agree

Yes, Pay per view. I remember going to a buddies house with several other guys watching it past midnight.
I listened to the game on a dock on Lake Oconee in Eatonton Ga. fortunately game started about 10 pm and I could pickup the Tennessee station. Couldn’t get it on pay per view in Ga.

I listened to the game with a great Vol Buddy; Johnny Holt (RIP) at his house in Mobile Al. John Ward was in his Prime then, and we paid to listen via a speaker Telephone! Cost us about $40! Worth Every Penny! Ah those Days were the best.

Don't forget the Fullbacks. ;)
Amsler... Poles... there was nothing not to like about that running game.

I’ve got a buddy who is a UGA grad that was with me as a 17 year old at the 89 GA/TN. The opening drive was something like 7 plays, 80 yards, all runs and I’m not even sure we ever ran it outside the tackles. To this day he’ll tell you that it’s the greatest opening drive he’s ever seen.

Amsler... Poles... there was nothing not to like about that running game.

I’ve got a buddy who is a UGA grad that was with me as a 17 year old at the 89 GA/TN. The opening drive was something like 7 plays, 80 yards, all runs and I’m not even sure we ever ran it outside the tackles. To this day he’ll tell you that it’s the greatest opening drive he’s ever seen.
Georgia had a future pro wrestling star (for the WCW) named Bill Goldberg playing DT back then. Antone Davis whipped his butt the whole game.

It was not on pay for view, the 1989 game was on espn. GBO!
The 1989 UCLA game wasn't on ESPN. I think Bob Kesling had the call on "video seat", a pay-per-view broadcast available in east Tennessee. I remember having to listen to John Ward's call and not believing ESPN wasn't carrying the game. It was ridiculous.

Reactions: Boca Vol
You had to pay for it. I tried to see Sterling running the team through the scrambled signal. Peyton took over as a freshman when JC's knee was destroyed at UCLA In 1994. That could have been an ESPN game. Or was 1994 in Neyland?
The 1989, 1994 and 1997 games were in Pasadena. The 1985, 1991 and 1996 games were in Neyland. We had a good series with UCLA. The 1994 game was on ABC. Keith Jackson and Bob Griese had the call.

The 1989 UCLA game wasn't on ESPN. I think Bob Kesling had the call on "video seat", a pay-per-view broadcast available in east Tennessee. I remember having to listen to John Ward's call and not believing ESPN wasn't carrying the game. It was ridiculous.
Yep... no cable for that game. Back then, it was 3 broadcast stations, 1 ESPN channel, a game of the week on TBS and a syndicated game put out by Raycom. It was a good year if we got 6 or 7 games televised.

Reactions: lewis co vol
Yep... no cable for that game. Back then, it was 3 broadcast stations, 1 ESPN channel, a game of the week on TBS and a syndicated game put out by Raycom. It was a good year if we got 6 or 7 games televised.

And WE couldn't watch the 1985 Florida game on TV because THEY were on probation being punished for cheating. Pretty poor logic by the league or NCAA administrators.

I remember that game very good and John Ward was the “best” that day.
Someone help me but I believe this was the UCLA team, highly ranked and on a high horse. They called this game a tune-up game.
Following Monday in “USA Today” sports section (remember that ?) after the VOLS
Beat the breaks of them.
I think Dale Carter ( I can be really wrong but I remember the quote) had the quote of the sports weekend—- “ Well, I guess their TUNED UP Now”
Great to be a VOL

UT had some great teams starting in '89. Carl Pickens as a FR playing on O & D!

The Cotton Bowl from that season was a great UT game:

Reactions: lewis co vol
I remember that game very good and John Ward was the “best” that day.
Someone help me but I believe this was the UCLA team, highly ranked and on a high horse. They called this game a tune-up game.
Following Monday in “USA Today” sports section (remember that ?) after the VOLS
Beat the breaks of them.
I think Dale Carter ( I can be really wrong but I remember the quote) had the quote of the sports weekend—- “ Well, I guess their TUNED UP Now”
Great to be a VOL

Dale Carter was still in Juco in 1989 so it had to be someone else.

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN

VN Store

Back