1989 team to be honored

Yes they did but it was a bit "easier" to win a conf. title back then. UT beat Auburn and lost to Bama. Bama beat UT but lost to Auburn. Auburn lost to UT but beat Bama. All 3 claim the SEC title.

Great year, though. I was a SR in HS in Charlotte, NC. I remember picking up the UCLA game on radio because the AM signals were stronger at night and I found John Ward's call. I went to the CSU, Auburn, UGA, & Ole Miss games that season.

Last edited:
Majors gambled a bit in 1988 in a big way. He redshirted some big time talent, Pickens being one, and had some really talented young guys playing alot that year.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Also redshirted Webb in 88.

Started the season with a close 17-10 win (IIRC) vs. Colorado St.... (uh oh)

Beat #3 UCLA like a drum on the road the next weekend, listened to that game late into the night on WLAC. 24-3

Reactions: Boca Vol
Yes they did but it was a but "easier" to win a conf. title back then. UT beat Auburn and lost to Bama. Bama beat UT but lost to Auburn. Auburn lost to UT but beat Bama. All 3 claim the SEC title.

Great year, though. I was a SR in HS in Charlotte, NC. I remember picking up the UCLA game on radio because the AM signals were stronger at night and I found John Ward's call. I went to the CSU, Auburn, UGA, & Ole Miss games that season.
I was a freshman in HS.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Majors took him out before he could hit 300 yards rushing. I was there thinking wth? Webb was simply awesome.
I think it was said after the game that Majors thought or had been told that Chuck already had 300 yards so, he took him out. Otherwise, Majors would have let him have another carry or two so, he could eclipse it.

Edit: According to the replay broadcast, someone on the sidelines told Majors that he was at 294 yards so, Majors put him back in for one more carry with 33-21 lead with 1 minute left on the clock. He picked up 3 yards and the first down (which would have given him 297) on that carry. Majors took him out and Andy Kelly took a knee or two and ran the clock out. I guess the 297 was (unofficial) since the single game record is 294.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back