1988 Slam Dunk Contest

Brave Volunteer

Yes I will say it. Dominique Wilkins got absolutely hosed in front of MJ's home crowd on this day! His double handed windmill dunk was incredible and only scored a 45?? Plus they gave MJ a perfect score twice for his same foul line dunk, which they shouldnt have done! He shouldve been dinged at least a couple of points for repeating it.

Reactions: The Dog
That 2 handed windmill dunk where Wilkins kept his arms completely extended during the whole windmill is so hard. Well, it was for me on a 9 foot goal at 17, but I won everyone of North Knox Rec's Dunk Contest with it. I agree, The Human Highlight Film got robbed. Greatest Dunk Contest ever, tho

That 2 handed windmill dunk where Wilkins kept his arms completely extended during the whole windmill is so hard. Well, it was for me on a 9 foot goal at 17, but I won everyone of North Knox Rec's Dunk Contest with it. I agree, The Human Highlight Film got robbed. Greatest Dunk Contest ever, tho

MJ's FT line dunk was so nice, especially in photo, but Vince did a FT line dunk with 2 hands as a throwaway. All the dunks were nice, but ultimately they were just windmills and up and unders, nothing particularly difficult by today's standards. 1988 just doesn't hold up like that. It's still an all-time great because of what it meant at the time. But show it to a kid today who has seen Lavine vs. Gordon and they're not going to care much. I think kids today are still jumping out of their seat for Vince.

MJ's FT line dunk was so nice, especially in photo, but Vince did a FT line dunk with 2 hands as a throwaway. All the dunks were nice, but ultimately they were just windmills and up and unders, nothing particularly difficult by today's standards. 1988 just doesn't hold up like that. It's still an all-time great because of what it meant at the time. But show it to a kid today who has seen Lavine vs. Gordon and they're not going to care much. I think kids today are still jumping out of their seat for Vince.
I love Vince, probably the best dunker of my lifetime, imo. But, '88 was the high point for the Dunk Contest, downhill since then. In fact, it may be the lamest thing going on, during All-Star Weekend, now. Anyway, if you didn't see the '88 dunk contest live, u probably can't appreciate it, but LaVine and Gordon can NOT carry Wilkins jock

I love Vince, probably the best dunker of my lifetime, imo. But, '88 was the high point for the Dunk Contest, downhill since then. In fact, it may be the lamest thing going on, during All-Star Weekend, now. Anyway, if you didn't see the '88 dunk contest live, u probably can't appreciate it, but LaVine and Gordon can NOT carry Wilkins jock

He's a better player and in-game dunker, but in the contest he was throwing it off the glass and tip dunking it. This is a playground dunk you can see any day in any big city in America. He looks better doing it, but it's still the most basic **** possible. As far as dunk contests go, he's not in their class.

If you had to see it at the time to appreciate it, how can it be the greatest?

He's a better player and in-game dunker, but in the contest he was throwing it off the glass and tip dunking it. This is a playground dunk you can see any day in any big city in America. He looks better doing it, but it's still the most basic **** possible. As far as dunk contests go, he's not in their class.
What? That 2 handed, extended arms dunk, with mad power, may be the best dunk of al time. Jordan doing his thing, also. Yes, I was 17, but the Dunk Contest has sucked for 20 years. '88 was the best of the Golden Age, U had to be there to get it, imo.

If you had to see it at the time to appreciate it, how can it be the greatest?
Please watch it again

What? That 2 handed, extended arms dunk, with mad power, may be the best dunk of al time. Jordan doing his thing, also. Yes, I was 17, but the Dunk Contest has sucked for 20 years. '88 was the best of the Golden Age, U had to be there to get it, imo.

Extended arms? Is that some sort of trick? That makes a dunk easier, right? He caught it with 2 hands but only dunked it with one. That is the most basic ass dunk possible.

Most years it has sucked since its inception, but Vince's year was lit and so was Lavine vs. Gordon.

I'm not comparing 80s dunkers to 2020+ dunkers, I'm comparing the contest to today's cure for insomnia. Still, of all the guys from the 80s, Dominique and MJ can hang with everybody, today, imo

Extended arms? Is that some sort of trick? That makes a dunk easier, right? He caught it with 2 hands but only dunked it with one. That is the most basic ass dunk possible.

Most years it has sucked since its inception, but Vince's year was lit and so was Lavine vs. Gordon.

It was the dunk, Wilkins got a 45 for, if you have never tried that dunk even on a 9 foot goal, u don't get it. But, honesty, it was better when I was 17, the shine has faded. My point being, greatest Dunk contest ever, in the Golden Age of that competition, although, like I said, not near as impressive as it was when I was a kid

VN Store

Back