1988 - Repeat?

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
1988 was a really bad year for us, at least the first part of the season. Losing 5 straight games to start the season. Then the coaches actually did something our current regime seems incapable of doing...they coached and made some bold moves.

We won the last 6 games of the season and then had a monster 1989 and then a decade of dominance.

It appears we are a good QB away from actually being able to win games. I think we win several more games this year with even mediocre QB play. KY, AK and AB are wins with anyone that does not commit egregious mistakes at QB.

So...maybe if we can develop a QB many of the pieces are in place to have a decent 21 season? We have precedent.

We have young talent on our defense. Even though they look bad this year, I think they should be solid if Pruitt and co. Can develop them. So far have not seen any development. Pruitt has to make some changes on the offensive staff. Friend needs to be gone. Ansley as DC has under impressed. Personally I want Pruitt gone now, but that’s not happening. For Pruitt to turn this thing around, he has to make good hires and re evaluate what he’s doing this season. I just don’t see it happening.

1988 was a really bad year for us, at least the first part of the season. Losing 5 straight games to start the season. Then the coaches actually did something our current regime seems incapable of doing...they coached and made some bold moves.

We won the last 6 games of the season and then had a monster 1989 and then a decade of dominance.

It appears we are a good QB away from actually being able to win games. I think we win several more games this year with even mediocre QB play. KY, AK and AB are wins with anyone that does not commit egregious mistakes at QB.

So...maybe if we can develop a QB many of the pieces are in place to have a decent 21 season? We have precedent.
I hope you are right, I’m so ready to wake up from this horrible nightmare.

IMO the issue will be can Pruitt hire good replacements for the ones not retained under a coach that will be on the hot seat in year 4?

We have young talent on our defense. Even though they look bad this year, I think they should be solid if Pruitt and co. Can develop them. So far have not seen any development. Pruitt has to make some changes on the offensive staff. Friend needs to be gone. Ansley as DC has under impressed. Personally I want Pruitt gone now, but that’s not happening. For Pruitt to turn this thing around, he has to make good hires and re evaluate what he’s doing this season. I just don’t see it happening.
As bad is it seems I really think it is 98% the QB. Yeah defense has not looked like rock stars but the egregious errors on offense take their toll on the defense too.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Florida and A&M are going to beat Tennessee. It will probably get ugly. Hopefully not. But I’m assuming double digit losses will be the order of the day. Not like the ‘88 season.

I wish that was true. JG is one of many problems with this team.

The big difference between now and 1988, and I was 21 in 1988, is that Johnny Majors was our head coach... Jeremy Pruitt is no Johnny Majors, not even close. I hope I'm wrong, but I see no evidence of that type of turnaround transpiring.. Plus, you have to remember that we finished 10-2 in 1987, if i'm not mistaken... So, 1988 was a bad start, but by the time we lost to BAMA, which made us 0-6, we had improved, and I think we only lost by 8 points to BAMA in 1988... We are a long ways from being a touchdown away from beating BAMA right now. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but at this point just not optimistic about our current situation.

Last edited:

JG will be back for 2021 and Pruitt loves JG

By the way, I was at the 1988 Washington State game.. On their first play from scrimmage, Washington State threw a little swing/screen pass, and as I type this, I can still see the running back for Washington State running 80 yards untouched for their opening touchdown. Lol- funny I can still remember that... Go Vols Always!

Reactions: gasguy98
the differences between '88 and now are:

1) we had a proven head coach with a winning resume that knew how to build a winner
2) we had won in '87 and '85 pretty good so the brand was still strong
3) 2 of the best players in the entire SEC were being redshirted (Webb and Pickens)

Reactions: Ledzepvol
As bad is it seems I really think it is 98% the QB. Yeah defense has not looked like rock stars but the egregious errors on offense take their toll on the defense too.

The defense isn’t great, but it has played well enough to win every game but Alabama.

Right now, we're a Vanderbilt-level QB (and, toss in a Vand-level QB Coach who can coach that Vandy-level QB) away from being 5-2.

Just to make sure I am following along. If history is to repeat itself and Jeremy Pruitt is Johnny Majors then does that mean Will Friend will be our head football coach in 4 years? 🤔

The big difference between now and 1988, and I was 21 in 1988, is that Johnny Majors was our head coach... Jeremy Pruitt is no Johnny Majors, not even close. I hope I'm wrong, but I see no evidence of that type of turnaround transpiring.. Plus, you have to remember that we finished 10-2 in 1987, if i'm not mistaken... So, 1988 was a bad start, but by the time we lost to BAMA, which made us 0-6, we had improved, and I think we only lost by 8 points to BAMA in 1988... We are a long ways from being a touchdown away from beating BAMA right now. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but at this point just not optimistic about our current situation.
But, Johnny was in his 12th year bro!

VN Store

Back