1973 Volunteer Classic Tennessee vs DePaul

Noggin

Noggin
Hello I am trying to find some information on the 1973 Tennessee vs DePaul game in the Volunteer Classic. This is the game before Tennessee beat Temple 11-6 in that infamous game where Temple held the ball. Of course this was before the shot clock existed. The only thing I can find about the DePaul game was that Tennessee won 96-61 or something like that. I wish the Volunteer Classic still existed. Thank you for your time.

I was at that game as a youngster. I may still have the old game program and will see what I can find when I get home later today.

Me too nogin. I remember setting in stokely when Gary Carter hit nearly a half court shot to prevent American University from beating us 1st round if my memory server me right. which it seldom does any more

Me too nogin. I remember setting in stokely when Gary Carter hit nearly a half court shot to prevent American University from beating us 1st round if my memory server me right. which it seldom does any more

Carter stole the inbounds pass and launched the game winner (I think after 1 dribble... about a 40 footer). Carter was breaking toward the pass so his momentum carried him towards the basket.

American had a one point lead and the ball out of bounds under TN’s basket with just 2 or 3 seconds on the clock. I don’t think that TN had just scored as it seems like their inbounder was not running the baseline.

The 2 or 3 second clip was used as part of the opening of the news for about a year. I think it was WATE but I’ve never been able to find it on YouTube. I was in the lower balcony and Carter’s shot was launched directly towards my seating position or maybe slightly to my right.

Friday Dec 14, 1973

The box score should be archived in the 12/15/73 Knoxville News-Sentinel as it was an afternoon newspaper in 1973.

Ray Meyer versus Ray Mears

1973-74 DePaul Blue Demons Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

96-61

Grunfeld’s 4th game as a Volunteer.

The first year that freshmen were eligible to play varsity although TN still had a junior varsity team. The JV team often played an opening game as part of a double header.

1973-74 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Mike Jackson and David Moss were also freshmen in Grunfeld’s class but only played in 6 and 5 varsity games respectively. David Moss was diagnosed with cancer and lost a leg during the season. He could leap like Pons does now. He was brought out a year (or two) later. Stokely erupted when he walked out to half court walking with a cane.

1973-74 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Noggin
Friday Dec 14, 1973

The box score should be archived in the 12/14/73 Knoxville News-Sentinel as it was an afternoon newspaper in 1973.

Ray Meyer versus Ray Mears

1973-74 DePaul Blue Demons Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

96-61

Grunfeld’s 4th game as a Volunteer.

The first year that freshmen were eligible to play varsity although TN still had a junior varsity team. The JV team often played an opening game as part of a double header.

1973-74 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Mike Jackson and David Moss were also freshmen in Grunfeld’s class but only played in 6 and 5 varsity games respectively. David Moss was diagnosed with cancer and lost a leg during the season. He could leap like Pons does now. He was brought out a year (or two) later. Stokely erupted when he walked out to half court walking with a cane.

1973-74 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Thank you very much. You guys are all awesome. I hope you all have a great Sunday tomorrow. All the best.

Went to the Vol Classic in Dec 1975 to see Vols play Clemson & Tree Rollins. Great game, King challenged Rollins all night, Rollins got some blocks but also some fouls. King fouled him out late, like he did so many players during that time. We sat about 4 rows behind the UT Bench.

It was unbelievable. It seems so much louder as I get older, that low roof, imo
I lived in the Montgomery area after I left UT in the early 1970’s and would drive around at night trying to pick up WNOX on the car radio to listen to John Ward. In the big games you could hardly hear him over the crowd. Those were the days.

I lived in the Montgomery area after I left UT in the early 1970’s and would drive around at night trying to pick up WNOX on the car radio to listen to John Ward. In the big games you could hardly hear him over the crowd. Those were the days.
I grew up on John, back then, maybe UT played on TV, once a month. But, Stokely was special and loud, like u said, I think John was near the roof, anyway. What was it 12,800 capacity ? Or was it, 11,800 ? Always a sell out, either way

Edit: 12,700, I was only a hundred off, give me some love TGO, I know u knew

I grew up on John, back then, maybe UT played on TV, once a month. But, Stokely was special and loud, like u said, I think John was near the roof, anyway. What was it 12,800 capacity ? Or was it, 11,800 ? Always a sell out, either way

Edit: 12,700, I was only a hundred off, give me some love TGO, I know u knew

Saturday Night at Stokely was broadcast on channel 2 about 5 or 6 times a year. Major fail by the UT administration to not have all of that video preserved.

Man I was old and about to go to bed but you folks made me feel younger.

Seriously my first vol hoops game was in Stokely in a Christmas classic game as I recall. Had to 82-83ish I guess. I was 7-8years old. What a memory with my Dad.

Reactions: The Dog
In that 1975 clip of the warm up routine, they weren’t allowed to dunk. Although it was legal during the game that followed. You can see a lot of TN players shake the ball above the rim, but they don’t slam it down to finish the deal. It would have been a technical foul.

Really cool to see the band in their uniforms. They used to March around the court a couple of times when they came out. There was also a papier-mâché costume of a big orange (the fruit) that was used for a while.

A weird rule that was in place a few years earlier was with foul shots. Since scoring was so much harder, a single free throw was awarded when somebody was fouled and then the “bonus” free throw was included only after the 7th foul was committed (and the “bonus” was a one-plus-one, not 2 free throws).

Last edited:
Saturday Night at Stokely was broadcast on channel 2 about 5 or 6 times a year. Major fail by the UT administration to not have all of that video preserved.

Dr. Bob sighting at 15:20.

I love the disciplined play. And Woods with his head up always immediately scanning the court in transition. The 3PL and shot clock hurt the game IMO. Also the 7 footers that became necessary to win championships. But the rule changes became necessary after crap like what Temple pulled in the 1973 Volunteer Classic. The 3PL lessened the advantage of having the huge centers (Alcindor, Walton, Ewing, Hakeem, Bowie, etc).

I didn’t realize that Ashworth was a leftie.

King wasn’t just a great scorer and rebounder. He was a great passer as well. Those kick outs to Woods were awesome.

Haywood Harris on the PA at 30:00.

I only caught Austin Clark as the only sub. 6 man rotation and no time outs were taken at 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00.

I didn’t realize that the no dunking rule was still in place until the last year (1976-77) of Ernie and Bernie.

Another hard to interpret rule was the 5-second call using the sideline hash marks. When the dribbler was under pressure they had to penetrate the hash marks within 5 seconds. The worst adjustment of that rule was one year when the ball could only be dribbled for 5 seconds when the player was guarded.

I think that the junior varsity team is sitting behind the bench in the orange blazers. If that isn’t them, there sure were an awful lot of student managers and other staff on the bench.

Carter stole the inbounds pass and launched the game winner (I think after 1 dribble... about a 40 footer). Carter was breaking toward the pass so his momentum carried him towards the basket.

American had a one point lead and the ball out of bounds under TN’s basket with just 2 or 3 seconds on the clock. I don’t think that TN had just scored as it seems like their inbounder was not running the baseline.

The 2 or 3 second clip was used as part of the opening of the news for about a year. I think it was WATE but I’ve never been able to find it on YouTube. I was in the lower balcony and Carter’s shot was launched directly towards my seating position or maybe slightly to my right.
Yeah I was there too...Never been so mad and then elated in such a short period of time lol...UT had the ball and turned it over with 3 seconds left...That night was a night of last second shots...In the first game California hit a last second shot in overtime to beat Wyoming...That American U team had some really good players...I remember the point guards name was Gordon Austin and one of the players name was Ed Blanton?....I think...Anyways they beat Georgetown and Pat Ewing that year...Great memories.

Man this gave me chills watching this. I am already fired up and it ain't even December yet. Thank you for posting this. Have a good one.

Noggin

Went to the Vol Classic in Dec 1975 to see Vols play Clemson & Tree Rollins. Great game, King challenged Rollins all night, Rollins got some blocks but also some fouls. King fouled him out late, like he did so many players during that time. We sat about 4 rows behind the UT Bench.
I was at that game as well. Tate Locke was the Clemson coach I believe and got them put on probation like a year after Tree. We beat them pretty good if I remember right.

I remember listening to that game on the radio... What a call by John ward!
Carter stole the inbounds pass and heaved it up I believe.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Heh - when the starters were introduced, Jackson was announced but Rodney Woods ran out instead.

Sorta wish I could've seen young me......sec. U row 10.

I remember listening to that game on the radio... What a call by John ward!
Carter stole the inbounds pass and heaved it up I believe.
John Ward: "Grunfeld to King. King shovels a pass back to Grunfeld. I'll bet on it. PAY ME!"

At 4:45 you can see the kids waiting to grab pieces of the paper that the starters bust through when running through the T. I still have a piece that I have an autograph or two on.

One of my funnier collectibles is a program that I got a lot of autographs on. There’s a generic drawing of 2 players on the cover jumping in a tip off. 2 wise guys on the JV team signed the program cover on their arms like it was a drawing of them jumping center. One was Wilbert Cherry, the first black basketball player for TN. I think that Larry Robinson was the first to play varsity minutes but Wilbert was the first AA player for TN. I’m pretty sure that I have at least one autograph from Larry. I don’t remember which player autographed the other player’s arm.

At 5:00 you can barely see some guys (in the back) that had climbed up on one of the 4 “shelves” in Stokely. I used to love watching from that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back