'19 OH DT Jowon Briggs

cincinnati walnut hills defensive tackle jowon briggs has been talking about his academic goals since he was a high school sophomore and first hit the recruiting radar. That is still his message today. "i do think about college often, but i really don't think about the recruiting stuff all that often," briggs stated. "i'm just more focused on working, studying, lifting and playing to sports to give that much thought to recruiting. I have a lot of time for that, and the time will come."

"i want to study some type of math or computer programming in college, and right now i'm taking a lot of ap classes to prepare me for that," he added. "i'm taking ap calculus, ap computer science and ap engineering, and that keeps me busy. That's what i like the most."

briggs is the son of college educated parents, and he credits them for instilling the value and importance of education in him at any early age. "it comes from my parents big-time, and they always told me that football isn't forever, but you need to have a plan for life after football," briggs admitted. "my older sister was an academic wizard, and she's in engineering right now, and she motivates me as well."

even though the four-star lineman might not be focused heavily on recruiting at this time, he is in contact with college coaches and has taken a few visits, including a recent one to tennessee. "i haven't taken too many visits lately, but i was at tennessee a few weeks ago." briggs explained.

"it was really nice being there, and it seems like they're in the middle of a rebuilding phase. I did speak to coach (jeremy) pruitt, and i know he knows how to win." "he's bringing a new attitude to tennessee, and i think he's going to be successful," he said. "i am going to consider them going forward, but i'm considering every school right now. I haven't narrowed down my list at all."

Reactions: 1 person
I was just at Tennessee two Saturdays ago,” Briggs reported. “This was my first time going down there. It felt inviting to me with the atmosphere down there. The people were nice and they are in the middle of building a new program with a new coach coming in. It’s real interesting to see what happens with that.”

Tennessee, along with Virginia, is among the most recent schools to offer Briggs and he got a clear first impression of new head coach Jeremy Pruitt’s goals during his time in Knoxville.

“He is itching to build a winning program,” Briggs commented.

Briggs was joined on the Tennessee visit by his parents and grandparents. The academic aspect of a university has always been the primary consideration for the four-star as he evaluates schools, and the Volunteers gave him a strong sense of what they have to offer from an academic standpoint.

“They really have a lot of ways to ensure people are trying to prosper as far their degrees go and as far as their classes go,” Briggs said. “There is basically no way you should be failing anything ever, so I thought that was pretty good.”

The trip to Tennessee was the first campus visit Briggs had taken since last football season, and he does not have anything planned in the near future.

“I’ve thought about going on a few official visits, but not during the spring. I probably will do it during senior year,” he said. “I’m not planning on going anywhere during the spring because of all the stuff I have to do.”

Briggs is currently throwing shot put for his high school track and field team, and he also sings in his school choir.

-Rivlas

Reactions: 8 people
The best sport for a high school linemen (football play in general) is wrestling the is no close second.

I agree that wrestling is the best for the d-line. Although, shot put is the best for the O-line. (I first thought I was in an o-line thread).

Care to explain (I really am curious)

The simple answer is... The amount of technicality it takes to be good a shot put is impressive. Also, the burst it takes to get maximum velocity is that of the same as an O-Line or a D-line. Also, you have to learn how to burst while staying balanced in your stance so the shot put doesn't throw you. Again, there is a lot more to it but that is the simple way.

Seriously, if you are curious go look it up... I am sure they have an article about it. Some of the best O-linemen are usually great shot put guys... Joe Thomas comes to mind.

The simple answer is... The amount of technicality it takes to be good a shot put is impressive. Also, the burst it takes to get maximum velocity is that of the same as an O-Line or a D-line. Also, you have to learn how to burst while staying balanced in your stance so the shot put doesn't throw you. Again, there is a lot more to it but that is the simple way.

Seriously, if you are curious go look it up... I am sure they have an article about it. Some of the best O-linemen are usually great shot put guys... Joe Thomas comes to mind.

Greco Roman wrestling 👍🏻

Greco Roman wrestling 👍🏻

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back