'19 MD PF Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua (Signed 5/8/2019)

Don't think that the last years have been the best 2 year run in program history. Considering the conclusion to both seasons.
Best 2 year regular season run in program history, check the stats if you’d like. No the tourney results aren’t the best 2 year run, but they’re also right up there...how many back to back S16’s in program history?

Best 2 year regular season run in program history, check the stats if you’d like. No the tourney results aren’t the best 2 year run, but they’re also right up there...how many back to back S16’s in program history?

Records of Barnes (17-18; 18-19) and Pearl (06-07; 07-08) are very close at 57 and 15 for Barnes and 55 and 16 for Pearl. Both had one conference regular season championship. However, Pearl went to two back-to-back Sweet 16's.

While I am not expecting a spectacular year, the only thing I can hang my hat on is that Barnes' team in year two was actually on the bubble with a couple of weeks left. A bunch of freshmen and Robert Hubbs. They lost 4 of their last 5 games. We will have much better talent this year.

The other thing is that 2020 recruiting should be fine. Already have a 5 star committed, and I doubt James is one and done. Add that to Burns, ORN, Johnson, Fulkerson, and Gaines, and you will have a very competitive team.

Yeah, we should at least be on the NCAA bubble in late Feb. next season. I mean, look at Indiana this year. Absolutely atrocious record in Jan. and Feb. and not only were they on the bubble, they had people saying if they win another game at the Big-10 tournament, they get in. My guess is that the team will struggle a lot early in the SEC season but get better over time.

Records of Barnes (17-18; 18-19) and Pearl (06-07; 07-08) are very close at 57 and 15 for Barnes and 55 and 16 for Pearl. Both had one conference regular season championship. However, Pearl went to two back-to-back Sweet 16's.

It's close enough that I am not sure it's enough to argue about. That was my point.

As I said, regular season would be Barnes, post season Pearl...I know Pearl went back to back and people act as if he could walk on water, Barnes was 1 win away from matching that yet people would still be saying he underachieved miserably...doesn’t quite add up.

Reactions: JoAllan
Nope. I don't remmeber the exact date or who he spoke with. I only remember it because it stood out. I'm just glad he is doing it for the most part
Guessing that wasn’t what was said...maybe said they need to continue to recruit well, but I seriously doubt he said they need to recruit better to continue to win.

As I said, regular season would be Barnes, post season Pearl...I know Pearl went back to back and people act as if he could walk on water, Barnes was 1 win away from matching that yet people would still be saying he underachieved miserably...doesn’t quite add up.

Barnes underachieved in the NCAAT in back-to-back years. Should have gone at least to Sweet 16 previous season and Elite 8 this past season. Barnes has historically not done well in the NCAAT. That has always been a knock on him.

Guessing that wasn’t what was said...maybe said they need to continue to recruit well, but I seriously doubt he said they need to recruit better to continue to win.

I don't care if you believe me or not. He said higher level not better

Barnes underachieved in the NCAAT in back-to-back years. Should have gone at least to Sweet 16 previous season and Elite 8 this past season. Barnes has historically not done well in the NCAAT. That has always been a knock on him.

So Pearl underachieved in the NCAAT in...

Year 1, Year 3, Year 4 and Year 6?

Fans complain about UT being cheap. Several folks had no problem over paying Barnes. In their minds, it sent a message that we were willing to pay crazy sums of money like other programs are doing. Never understood the logic of paying for perception vs value.

Regardless, it's done. Can't really complain about having a couple of down years while his "projects" develop. Everyone knew how Barnes was doing things. Can't expect a huge contract to change him. If anything, he has zero incentive to change due to that massive contract. Fans got what they wanted....UT paying top dollar and not being seen as "cheap". Mission accomplished. As for being seen as fiscally irresponsible/foolish...well....
You hit the nail on the head.. Paying CRB sets a precedent not only for MBB but for the program it lets coaches out there know UT is ready to open the checkbook. This has been a problem in the past 10 years or so where we are not even in the running for top coaches because UT always pays middle of the pack salaries. Fulmer is letting it be known he will pay for what he wants. Wise investment even if CRB has a down year or 2 it will pay off.

Reactions: CJBlaze
Its hard for us to know what we need until we know if we're gonna have Williams or Bone back.

Big Money Rick knows more than we do.

Ill try to trust that he's gonna try to earn that paycheck.

Reactions: eroller1141@gmail
Seems like a perfect Rick Barnes player. A kid with great upside that can develop into an NBA calibre player while playing for the Vols for 3-4 years.

VN Store

Back