'18 GA CB Kyler McMichael

Clemson as expected

200.gif

He can say it was his decision to move it up, I think Dabo had a hand in that.

The Clemson Tigers may not be able to sign a large class in 2018 but they are making the most of the spots they have. Dabo Swinney’s class is currently ranked No. 6 in the country by 247Sports.

And it just improved with the addition of Top100 cornerback Kyler McMichael of Norcross (Ga.) Greater Atlanta Christian who spoke with 247Sports about his decision to commit to the Tigers over Georgia and Alabama.

“Just playing under coach (Dabo) Swinney will be great, he is very sincere and the rest of his staff is as well,” McMichael said. "I was able to get up there and talk with coach (Brent) Venables and coach (Mike) Reed, and they hung out with me all day long.

"That really impressed me and my parents.”

McMichael (6-1, 196) originally planned to take a couple of overnight visits in July in order to finalize a conclusion. But a trip to another SEC school this past weekend and a family discussion on the ride home prompted the change in decision timeline.

“It was actually after the Tennessee visit, just accessing things honestly, we were coming back that day with all my family and we already knew (Clemson) was the school to go with,” McMichael said. “Basically, just allowing me to have all that behind me, so I could focus on my senior season. I have a lot of stuff going on with The Opening and other stuff, I just want to focus on the rest of the summer and my team. I wanted to just focus on one school.”

When asked if Clemson led going into the Tennessee visit, McMichael replied, “Definitely, yep. It has been Clemson for maybe about the last month, they went to the top of my radar after being able to access all the other schools, I was able to put them on top.”

There wasn’t an obvious runner-up behind the Tigers, according to McMichael.

“I don’t think I had a school that finished second,” he said. “I would say the two schools that I had the most interest in other than Clemson were Georgia and Alabama and both schools recruited me hard.”

When asked if he was taking anymore visits, he replied, “No I am not.”

After testing well at The Opening Regional in Atlanta (including a 4.57 in the 40), McMichael will get a glimpse of the future next week in Oregon playing on the same 7-on-7 team with Clemson commitments Trevor Lawrence and Xavier Thomas at The Opening.

“I cannot wait, that is going to be exciting,” he said.

McMichael becomes the 11th verbal commit for the Tigers in the 2018 class and first defensive back commitment.

The Crystal Ball's trio of selections read 100 percent for Clemson.

VN Store

Back