'17 PG Tyreke Key: Missed Opportunity?

You recruit kids off the AAU circuit these days. Coaches play at least two day a week with travel and practice so they do not get to get out and see to much high school basketball during the season. He plays in single A which isn't that great if competition in the state overall. Not to mention plenty of kids can score, hell I averaged about 20-23 points a game my junior and senior year and went the naia route. I'm guessing they have probably saw him in the AAU circuit and didn't think he was good enough for a spot here. Indiana st is still d1 and he is a good ball player but not at this level. He will do fine where he is at.

We are TENNESSEE we don't recruit AAU player's Barnes thinks we might steal one away from TEXAS.:eek:lol:

Basketball recruiting is a little crazy like that. Kid could have been a take last year and 2 years from now. But just not this year. 12 scholarships avgs 3 per year. Kid has good numbers and I'm sure he is a player but unless you are a top 100 recruit, it's hard to be guaranteed an offer from UT if you are an instate kid.

Looks like Tyreke Key is doing good things at ISU he is number two scorer in the MVC Conference and may be number one soon.I guess he has done much better than some expected.

This made for some fun reading again.

To my point from 2 years ago, Barnes didn't have the collateral built up to take a chance on this kid at the time. Interestingly, if this kid were a 2019 HS grad, Barnes could probably get away with offering Key because Barnes' recruiting profile has proven to work, and the fans have grown to trust him and his process.

Looks like Tyreke Key is doing good things at ISU he is number two scorer in the MVC Conference and may be number one soon.I guess he has done much better than some expected.

You made an account today to tell us this? Are you TK's mommie?

Best of luck to the young man at his school. Cool if he becomes the next Larry Bird.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLED and The Dog
Good thing for him he’s not stuck fighting for minutes with Bone and Turner. Best of luck against Bradley.

I'm no scout, but my eyes tell me he could out score our guards there now. He would probably need a redshirt for weight room work. I have watched the state touney for years and I remember seeing Hubbs and thinking, "What's the big deal?". This guy has wow factor. I remember Ky passing on Lofton. I think this is the same situation. What are the flaws in his game? 2 star and low ranked is the only thing I heard people say. Grades? I dunno.

Anyways, I wish him the best at Indiana State. When has a low ranking stopped Barnes before?
Maybe he just disagrees with the guy who is not a scout.

You made an account today to tell us this? Are you TK's mommie?

Best of luck to the young man at his school. Cool if he becomes the next Larry Bird.
No I made an account to let some people know how he was doing that made there thoughts known before.I am a Vols fan and would have liked to seen him play there .I have followed him through out high school.I should a known better to have said anything.

Reactions: StarRaider
No I made an account to let some people know how he was doing that made there thoughts known before.I am a Vols fan and would have liked to seen him play there .I have followed him through out high school.I should a known better to have said anything.

I am not trying to rude, but I didn't see anyone say that he would not do well at ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeDog

VN Store

Back