'17 PG Tyreke Key: Missed Opportunity?

Jacob Fleschman. 6'1" walk-on shooting guard from Austin, TX that followed Barnes to Knoxville. He was redshirted this past year. I don't know if I've ever seen a walk-on redshirted before. It wouldn't surprise me if he's better than the 2-star that's heading to Indiana State.
His 45% 3 point shooting could help if they can build him a body and teach him to play D.
RS was puzzling to me also. More than meets the eye?

I have coached against this kid since he was a freshman. And he has been at our summer camp for the last 4 years. His recruitment played out the way it did because he played at a small rural school against poor competition and chose not to travel a long distance and play on a big AAU program. As such, college coach did not see him much and when they did see him it was against such weak competition that they were unsure how to gauge him.

I have been coaching high school basketball for 14 years. Am a mainstay at MTSU for 3 days every year during the state tournament. This kid is a steal for Indiana State. I guarantee you he can play SEC basketball. He has lots to work on because single A to D1 college is huge transition (esp when not having high level AAU experience to pull from). So I don't know how long the adjustment period will be. But he will be an all conference player at Indiana State at some point.

Reactions: 2 people
I have coached against this kid since he was a freshman. And he has been at our summer camp for the last 4 years. His recruitment played out the way it did because he played at a small rural school against poor competition and chose not to travel a long distance and play on a big AAU program. As such, college coach did not see him much and when they did see him it was against such weak competition that they were unsure how to gauge him.

I have been coaching high school basketball for 14 years. Am a mainstay at MTSU for 3 days every year during the state tournament. This kid is a steal for Indiana State. I guarantee you he can play SEC basketball. He has lots to work on because single A to D1 college is huge transition (esp when not having high level AAU experience to pull from). So I don't know how long the adjustment period will be. But he will be an all conference player at Indiana State at some point.

So, the question I guess, is this; should Rick Barnes be admonished for not recruiting this kid? Is he someone that Barnes could afford to risk a scholarship on? Your description sounds a lot like a description of JaJuan Smith coming out of HS. Smallish guard, rural school, low AAU profile, holes in his game, etc.

We may miss out on a diamond in the rough, but I'm just not sure Barnes can afford the risk with this kid.

Reactions: 1 person
So, the question I guess, is this; should Rick Barnes be admonished for not recruiting this kid? Is he someone that Barnes could afford to risk a scholarship on? Your description sounds a lot like a description of JaJuan Smith coming out of HS. Smallish guard, rural school, low AAU profile, holes in his game, etc.

We may miss out on a diamond in the rough, but I'm just not sure Barnes can afford the risk with this kid.

Heck it really doesn't matter, people are going to find something to bich about. Pons is the highest rated recruit we've had under Barnes, yet folks in his thread are complaining his shot isn't good enough, he's foul prone and not the 6'10 stud muffin they want.

I did see an article last night that said K State had offered this kid late and somebody else, I think.

He is a diamond in rough.he may not of dominated in higher classification but he would have fit nicely.someone stated earlier not athletic that's funny

ISU maybe? Don't know if he had an offer but definitely had interest from them.

Heck it really doesn't matter, people are going to find something to bich about. Pons is the highest rated recruit we've had under Barnes, yet folks in his thread are complaining his shot isn't good enough, he's foul prone and not the 6'10 stud muffin they want.

I did see an article last night that said K State had offered this kid late and somebody else, I think.

You're exactly right. I am curious if rickbol believes the kid is worth the risk, since he has seen/coached him in camp.

He is foul prone. if you watch the entire Fiba game he was playing with 4 when the highlights were recorded. will he get the chance to play with 4 fouls under Barnes' mangement?.
That's not *****ing it's just fact.

Absolutely no way you admonish Barnes for not recruiting him. That would be dumb. Like I said, without seeing him against high level competition on the AAU circuit puts high level D1 coaches in a tough spot in these types of situation. Sometimes kids fall through the cracks in the system. It happens.

Last edited:
Absolutely no way you admonish Barnes for not recruiting him. That would be dumb. Like I said, without seeing him against high level competition on the AAU circuit puts high level D1 coaches in a tough spot in these types of situation. Sometimes kids fall through the cracks in the system. It happens.

Thanks. You confirmed my suspicions.

He is foul prone. if you watch the entire Fiba game he was playing with 4 when the highlights were recorded. will he get the chance to play with 4 fouls under Barnes' mangement?.
That's not *****ing it's just fact.

I've seen you mention him being foul prone quite a few times, just curious if that's based on the 1 FIBA game you watched because I've not seen in mentioned anywhere else? Jonathan Givony who has scouted him since he was 15 hasn't mentioned him being foul prone 1 time that I've seen so was just curious?

They should be admonished for not even taking a look.You will see what I am talking about when he gets to Indiana State.and he's definitely not foul prone

They should be admonished for not even taking a look.You will see what I am talking about when he gets to Indiana State.and he's definitely not foul prone

Nothing to look at - Ask Vandy, Memphis, Chatt, MTSU & ETSU. He doesn't hold an offer from any instate school.

Nothing to look at - Ask Vandy, Memphis, Chatt, MTSU & ETSU. He doesn't hold an offer from any instate school.

Yes, but Rick Barnes makes for a more convenient punching bag. It's probably his fault too that those other schools didn't offer.

We will see.Hope he can prove all you doubters wrong

I hope he does great. No one here has anything against the kid, but you obviously have an agenda here. Singling out Barnes for not recruiting him isn't fair. Of all the D1 schools within a hundred miles of Clay County, Barnes and Tennessee have the least margin for error with our roster makeup. If Barnes invests a scholarship in Key, it means not giving one to Kent, Walker, or Pons. That is two 3* players and a 4*. He's already being raked across the coals for his recruiting efforts. Can you imagine the backlash if he signs a kid with no recruiting profiles whose best offer was Indiana St.? And even worse, the backlash if that kid never contributes a thing. Barnes doesn't have that type collateral built up with the fanbase to just take a shot on a relatively unknown commodity. Fans are ready to run him out on a rail as it is. He doesn't need to fuel the van for them by taking that big a risk.

Surely you understand that perspective?

Reactions: StarRaider

I agree that he is not foul prone and in watching him in one game last year and 3 this year I never saw him attempt to guard anybody. I felt like it was because Clay County could not afford for him to get into foul trouble but I never saw him sprint back on defense.

We will see.Hope he can prove all you doubters wrong

There are no doubters. No one was even talking about Key until this thread got started.
Good luck to him. Hope he has a great career at Indiana State. But if he turns out to be the stud you think he is going to be then we really can't blame CRB because Key only had offers from D2 schools and a couple of mid majors. He is a 2 star recruit. If he becomes a star, then maybe you need to go into scouting and work for recruiting services.

I've seen you mention him being foul prone quite a few times, just curious if that's based on the 1 FIBA game you watched because I've not seen in mentioned anywhere else? Jonathan Givony who has scouted him since he was 15 hasn't mentioned him being foul prone 1 time that I've seen so was just curious?

I'll see if I can find what I read.

Good read on Key, think he'll be a big-time player for Indiana State:

Rolling down Kentucky’s forgotten byways was thematically appropriate to getting to the real destination — Celina, Tenn., just over the Kentucky border in the extreme north-central portion of the Volunteer State. ISU went to this isolated corner of the Mid-South to unearth its latest diamond — point guard Tyreke Key. Since he signed with the Sycamores last November, Key has lived as a sort of backwoods mystery man to those of us in Indiana.

Key’s numbers were astounding, almost unbelievable from afar. Entering the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association state tournament — which Clay County, Key’s high school, would be participating in a day after my visit — the 6-foot-3 point guard averaged 36.9 points, 8.2 rebounds and four assists per game. Key converts at a 69 percent from the field, 43 percent from 3-point range and 74 percent at the line.

Tyreke B. Goode: ISU recruit answers questions with breakout performance

Just saying if he had been at a bigger school he would have had better offers.Go vols and I do think CRB has a NCAA tournament squad next year.just pulling for my hometown guy

VN Store

Back