'16 AL WR Velus Jones (Transfer)

JAV, legit insider on TOS has this to say, “I loved Velus Jones Jr coming out of HS. I watched him live late in his senior year and he was electric. I've been puzzled as to why he hasn't been better at this level. I believe he's got a chance to be a significant contributor outside of special teams.” JAV isn’t a blind homer. He calls it like he sees it. The man knows football.

Hope so but I’m a skeptic. I mean, they don’t really play defense in the PAC 12. Hard to believe he’s going to do big things in the SEC all of a sudden.

That said, I agree that he’ll be an upgrade on special teams.

Even if you only contributes as a kick returner and punt returner, that's fine by me. NFL teams spend a roster spot on that plenty of times, so we can as well. Plus he's familiar with Tee's coaching, so he should adjust pretty easily to WR here. I like the pickup.

Hope so but I’m a skeptic. I mean, they don’t really play defense in the PAC 12. Hard to believe he’s going to do big things in the SEC all of a sudden.

People say this, but really it's not true. According to Sports Reference(Utah,Oregon,Washington,Arizona St and Cal) the Pac 12 had 5 Teams in the top 35 in Total Defense, 2 in the top 9 and 3 in the top 16. And that's in a league that loves to throw the ball around. His USC team played all 5 of those teams and went 3-2. USC had to start their 3rd string QB the majority of the season. Velus is a huge get for us.

How did these defenses do out of conference vs real offenses? The whole Pac12 is down. On signing day, ESPN did a report on the decreased # of top 300 players who are leaving the west coast. These defenses may rank OK, but are they really?

WR Screen/Jet Sweep. It shouldn't be hard to get him in space 1 on 1. I am really hoping Chaney can create specific plays for the in-coming players with elite open space shiftiness. Jimmy The Jet has his own damn playbook. Let it be like the Beatles said!

Excluding Jones, USC's passing game averaged 12.7 yards per completion over the past 3 years. Curious about Jones' low 9.6 ypc average during his career there, I took a closer look at his numbers. Here's the breakdown:
  • 40+ yard receptions: 3 (45 (TD), 44, 40 yards)
  • 20-39 yards: 1 (22 yards)
  • 10-19 yards: 5 (19, 17, 16, 12, 10 yards)
  • 5-9 yards: 13
  • <5 yards: 14
  • TOTAL: 36 for 347 yards & 1 TD
So 3/4 of Jones' catches went for 9 or fewer yards...hope to see him flip that ratio around and average 13-15 ypc next year.

Looking at his KO returns:
  • 40+ yards: 2 (59, 100 (TD) yards)
  • 30-39 yards: 9
  • <30 yards: 70
  • TOTAL: 81 for 1,947 yards (24.0 avg) & 1 TD

Last edited:
Excluding Jones, USC's passing game averaged 12.7 yards per completion over the past 3 years. Curious about Jones' low 9.6 ypc average during his career there, I took a closer look at his numbers. Here's the breakdown:
  • 40+ yard receptions: 3 (45 (TD), 44, 40 yards)
  • 20-39 yards: 1 (22 yards)
  • 10-19 yards: 5 (19, 17, 16, 12, 10 yards)
  • 5-9 yards: 13
  • <5 yards: 14
  • TOTAL: 36 for 347 yards & 1 TD
So 3/4 of Jones' catches went for 9 or fewer yards...hope to see him flip that ratio around and average 13-15 ypc next year.

Looking at his KO returns:
  • 40+ yards: 2 (59, 100 (TD) yards)
  • 30-39 yards: 9
  • <30 yards: 70
  • TOTAL: 81 for 1,947 yards (24.0 avg) & 1 TD
That offense literally got the OC fired (before he was effectively benched last year). Should see him be used to stretch the field even with his targets this year. I could see him being in the 20.0 YPT range by the end of the year.

How did these defenses do out of conference vs real offenses? The whole Pac12 is down. On signing day, ESPN did a report on the decreased # of top 300 players who are leaving the west coast. These defenses may rank OK, but are they really?

Guess we’ll see if any defensive players get drafted this year...

I’ll be honest - I don’t understand this move.

Rooting for the kid and hopes he balls out, but in my homer eyes I thought we were set with Palmer, Gibbs, Johnson, Keyton, Tillman and the young guys coming in this year.
Was this the kid that was supposed to be so good as a returner?

VN Store

Back