'16 AL WR Velus Jones (Transfer)

Roche is looking at the roster and wondering if he’d even play here. But yeah, Butler got the git when it became clear that we were getting Joseph.

Here’s something you have to think about: who replaces Calloway on Teams? Velvet would come in with his own nickname and the ability to return punts and kicks. Plus I know Tee and Chaney wanna platoon 6 guys at WR in a game (2X, 2Y, 2F). But other than 5, who has really earned a spot in there yet?

Shifty and sure-handed. Must possess both skills to be considered. Calloway wasn’t the fastest, but he had great vision and great hands. I always cringe on punt returns.

I can see why our coaches are intrigued by this guy. Palmer is the only proven WR returning. Keyton & Tillman certainly look the part but obviously need more experience. I know that the transfer Gibbs was highly recruited coming out of HS, what type of impact do you guys expect from him?

Gibbs will be a probable starter next season or heavy in the rotation at least. Leyton has shown promise and has his been reunited with his QB. We definitely need speed and between Gibbs and Jones we'll be a lot faster outside.

I don't think so.
The roster is quite a bit different even from last year.
Brandon Johnson and DeAngelo Gibbs redshirting at WR.
Palmer, Johnson and Keyton will be the most ready imo. Expect Gibbs to come on late and finish strong though. He could be the best WR by the end of next year...
Tillman is getting better and he's 2 years + removed from that bad injury when he was at Bishop Gorman.
Calloway and Small give juice to the return game.
Hyatt is going to open up the whole offense with his deep speed.
But our roster still needs great 4 year players. Don't need any grad guys

Every school takes Grad guys if they see them helping the team. Even Ala, LSU,Clemson, Ga and others take them and will continue to..

Reactions: SweetasSoda
After reading this I admit I was wrong he counts against the 25 and the 85...now I have a huge headache from reading NCAA rules..man if u get well below 85 it's tough to get back with players transferring..getting injured or getting kicked off the team
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...ortal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule
That's why it's important to be honest with recruiting and with players on your team.

Also it's important to keep players out of trouble, and if they find themselve in a little trouble it's better to work with them than just kick them to the JUCO.

I thought grad transfers counted toward the 85 but not the 25?
Negative. Every single guy that signs scholarship papers (after their first year at the school) counts.

Otherwise we'd load up on grad transfers all day, every day. The 85 limit is very flexible and not that important. 25 limit is strict and rough.

Edit: looks like you already corrected yourself. I'll show myself out...

Reactions: VolnJC
Like this pick up. Definitely can’t hurt since we lose our two primary receivers.

Great pickup. Good player with some maturity to add to probably one of the more questionable groups for next year. Could easily be the slot starter with Gibbs and Palmer.

Reactions: T Dog
Negative. Every single guy that signs scholarship papers (after their first year at the school) counts.

Otherwise we'd load up on grad transfers all day, every day. The 85 limit is very flexible and not that important. 25 limit is strict and rough.

Edit: looks like you already corrected yourself. I'll show myself out...

With other schools looking to sign more than 25 apparently, I question how strict the rule is. I'm going to assume there's a workaround, and if other schools are using it, I wouldn't be surprised if our coaches do as well if they can get guys they think help the team.

With other schools looking to sign more than 25 apparently, I question how strict the rule is. I'm going to assume there's a workaround, and if other schools are using it, I wouldn't be surprised if our coaches do as well if they can get guys they think help the team.
You can still backcount.

And grayshirt.

Only 2 ways over 25.

Supposed to be the only ways, yet some teams(like Florida) seem to be finding new ways. Not sure how.
UF doesn't show a class over 25 in some time. Look like they've been undersigning, if anything.

VELUS%20JONES150.JPG

Ht:6'0"
Wt:180 lbs
40:4.41 secs
GPA:3
ACT:23
Class:2016 (High School)

Rivals
HUDL

Tennessee offered after Sark was fired and he seems to be open despite his "commitment" to USC. I think we've got a nice shot here.
Good job predicting five years into the future

Gibbs will be a probable starter next season or heavy in the rotation at least. Leyton has shown promise and has his been reunited with his QB. We definitely need speed and between Gibbs and Jones we'll be a lot faster outside.
New Calloway kid is supposed to be faster than either of them

JAV, legit insider on TOS has this to say, “I loved Velus Jones Jr coming out of HS. I watched him live late in his senior year and he was electric. I've been puzzled as to why he hasn't been better at this level. I believe he's got a chance to be a significant contributor outside of special teams.” JAV isn’t a blind homer. He calls it like he sees it. The man knows football.

VN Store

Back