'15 PA QB Alex Hornibrook

Definitely an under-the-radar type young man. The fact his coach installed an offense that runs the ball eighty percent of the time might explain why. Still, his highlights look great---he threw for 12 touchdowns and over 1200 yards last year. He seems to have a strong, accurate arm, but his greatest strength is said to be his bulldog competitiveness and leadership skills:

"Alex shows no breakdowns under pressure. His drive and attention to detail allow him to compete at an extremely high level . . ." said Will Hewlett, Hornibrook’s quarterback coach and the National Football Academies (NFA) Director of Player Development.

Darin Slack, the president of the NFA had this to say about Hornibrook:

"His size and arm strength are legit, his leadership is evident, and he can make all the throws that will be asked of him on the next level. Book it that Alex will be a Saturday star."

Reactions: 1 person
It kills me when coaches run a scheme contrary to the strength of their players.

"Son, I know you have Div 1 talent and everything, but I don't think we're going to let you throw too much. About 100 yards per game, and we're gonna have to cut you off."

If I was a coach, it'd go like this.

"Fellas. You know I like to run the ball. We're still going to run the ball, but our QB has put in a lot of work, and I think we're going to balance the playbook out a bit more and throw the ball. If things don't go well, we know we can run the ball, but let's give this a shot."

Reactions: 1 person
Just a thought:

One of the most interesting and exciting things we've learned, so far, about Coach Butch Jones is that he seems to really love to find the under-the-radar guys that he can develop---something he did successfully at Cincinnati. And we will soon find out if he can do the same here in brutal SEC.

Yes, he still goes after the big-name guys, and gets his share of them, but he seems to trust his and his coaches' evaluation process far more than he does the hype generated by the big recruiting services.

Yes, a lot of the guys in the 2014 class did have the hype, but look at how many made us stop and say, "What? Who is that guy?" If even half of those pan out, we are probably looking at some very bright days ahead in VolNation.

So, personally, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the quarterback(s) we sign this year fall into that category. Not necessarily saying it is going to be Hornibrook, but I have a hunch CBJ can find the right guy(s) even if nobody else currently thinks they are.

There have to be several out there who are stuck in the same sort of low-visibility situation as Hornibrook. Go get 'em Butch!

Brett Favre had the same situation in high school. His dad wanted to run a run first O wing T.

You can tell a difference in his release, velocity, and footwork between his Soph. and Junior films. Great improvement in all of them. I really want to see what he does his Senior year. He might end up being really really good.

Stats last year: completed 67 of 129 passes (52%) for 1,190 yards & 12 TDs...rushed 42 times for minus 92 yards.

Pennsylvania seems to produce a good amount of QB's. No empirical evidence, just an observation.

VN Store

Back