'15 DE GA Andrew Butcher (UT Commit 6/8/13)

Who you taking out in 3rd down? Barnett or Maggitt? This isn't the same situation at all. Our pass rush is damn near on steroids with those two off the edge in obvious passing situations. Vereen and Lewis as 3rd year guys will be fine too. We can sit on the freshmen.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about what I'm saying. It's football. Guys get tired. Guys get injured. Sometimes a backup with fresh legs can be more effective for a play or two than a starter who has been playing his ass off all game.

I'm not saying he's going to steal any of our top 4 guys' spots or that he'll be on the field when the game's on the line. Just that he could find a niche and contribute a bit. Butcher's game, demeanor, and work ethic remind me a lot of Vereen as a freshman. Both are EEs as well. I could see him getting a few snaps a game at some point in the season. That's all I'm saying.

You may be right and he may not see the field. But if one or more of Maggit, Barnett, Lewis, and Vereen get banged up or go down, he'll definitely have an opportunity. And I doubt we have all four of those guys healthy all season.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see what's so hard to grasp about what I'm saying. It's football. Guys get tired. Guys get injured. Sometimes a backup with fresh legs can be more effective for a play or two than a starter who has been playing his ass off all game.

I'm not saying he's going to steal any of our top 4 guys' spots or that he'll be on the field when the game's on the line. Just that he could find a niche and contribute a bit. Butcher's game, demeanor, and work ethic remind me a lot of Vereen as a freshman. Both are EEs as well. I could see him getting a few snaps a game at some point in the season. That's all I'm saying.

You may be right and he may not see the field. But if one or more of Maggit, Barnett, Lewis, and Vereen get banged up or go down, he'll definitely have an opportunity. And I doubt we have all four of those guys healthy all season.
I see what you're saying but getting a redshirt year on most these guys would trump them playing in occasional spot duty if we can get away with that.

Reactions: 1 person
Butcher is going to be really good and solid contributor. Just need to be patient. Hoping he redshirts so he can grow into his "genes". His Dad makes him look like a DB when they stand side by side.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see all of the new DEs get redshirted. They won't be needed. Vereen is a very good pass rusher. Lewis plays well whenever he is in. That rotation will keep them from really getting physically worn out. Now if one goes down I can see it but we're at a point we don't even have to think about using a freshman at DE right now. Good thing :)

Butcher is going to be really good and solid contributor. Just need to be patient. Hoping he redshirts so he can grow into his "genes". His Dad makes him look like a DB when they stand side by side.

I think he will be one of those guys he ends up around 265-270 but looks like 245. I remember when I saw how much he weighed I was like there is now way he just didn't look that big but people care weight in different ways. This guy reminds me of will overstreet, Wes Brown type. Constant motor and you will have to kill him to bring him off the field. Kind of guy I like on the field and kind of guy I like to be a vol.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see all of the new DEs get redshirted. They won't be needed. Vereen is a very good pass rusher. Lewis plays well whenever he is in. That rotation will keep them from really getting physically worn out. Now if one goes down I can see it but we're at a point we don't even have to think about using a freshman at DE right now. Good thing :)
I think the only thing we're really not seeing eye to eye on here is that I don't expect to have our top 4 guys healthy all season. If/when one of those 4 goes down, we'll have to lean on a young guy for depth.

We were lucky not to have any serious injuries up front in 2014. Hopefully I'm wrong and we're lucky in 2015 as well.

Andrew Butcher is not the biggest defensive lineman, but we've seen over and over again this week that he just brings it on every snap and has enough strength to hold his own. At 248 pounds coming into the week, he'll have to continue to add weight but it seems he should be able to do that.
-VQ.

Reactions: 5 people
Drew Richmond doing Butcher dirty in the 4th quarter of a blowout All-Star game win:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91

VN Store

Back