#11 UCF vs #24 Cincinnati 8et ABC

38-13, UCF. I wonder if they'll get a 2nd bid to the Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. It's a shame the Orange Bowl is a playoff site this year, a UCF vs an ACC team might be a decent matchup.

$10 says they wind up in the Peach Bowl vs a 9-3 Kentucky team.

for how much they complain about the system being against them if you put a P5 school in their schedule they would receive the same disdain from the committee. Maybe only two games against teams ranked, but probably won't end up ranked? Yeah the immediate team can't control who they play that season. But the school itself does decide that, and what conference they are in as well. The CFP didn't put them in the AAC and stack their schedule with 9 teams who are dancing around .500.

also makes me laugh that they try to apply the transitive property. Well we crushed Pitt, who almost beat Notre Dame, so we should be in the top 4. no. that's not how that works. Vandy also played Notre Dame close, I don't see the SEC lining up to make the same argument.

for how much they complain about the system being against them if you put a P5 school in their schedule they would receive the same disdain from the committee. Maybe only two games against teams ranked, but probably won't end up ranked? Yeah the immediate team can't control who they play that season. But the school itself does decide that, and what conference they are in as well. The CFP didn't put them in the AAC and stack their schedule with 9 teams who are dancing around .500.

also makes me laugh that they try to apply the transitive property. Well we crushed Pitt, who almost beat Notre Dame, so we should be in the top 4. no. that's not how that works. Vandy also played Notre Dame close, I don't see the SEC lining up to make the same argument.

That's also not how it works. Short of moving to other Group of 5 conferences, going independent, or downgrading to FCS level, you don't just go out and join a Power 5 conference at a whim, even if everyone involved at or with UCF wants to.

I'm sure they would be an interesting fit for the SEC or ACC, but would either conference want to let them in to begin with. Same reason you haven't seen Boise State picked up by the Pac 12 or Big 12 yet.

Schedules are also made years in advance as well, so while doable, it's not exactly easy to change at the drop of a hat either. Even if they do want to schedule more Power 5 schools, it's ultimately up to those schools and conferences in the end. Unless they make arrangements to play at a neutral site, pretty much any game against a Power 5 school will be at the P5 school, so if the big boys don't want to invite them in, what else can they do?

That's also not how it works. Short of moving to other Group of 5 conferences, going independent, or downgrading to FCS level, you don't just go out and join a Power 5 conference at a whim, even if everyone involved at or with UCF wants to.

I'm sure they would be an interesting fit for the SEC or ACC, but would either conference want to let them in to begin with. Same reason you haven't seen Boise State picked up by the Pac 12 or Big 12 yet.

Schedules are also made years in advance as well, so while doable, it's not exactly easy to change at the drop of a hat either. Even if they do want to schedule more Power 5 schools, it's ultimately up to those schools and conferences in the end. Unless they make arrangements to play at a neutral site, pretty much any game against a Power 5 school will be at the P5 school, so if the big boys don't want to invite them in, what else can they do?
still not the CFP's fault. if anything with the CFP's emphasis on SOS I would argue UCF is being helped with scheduling as more schools are going to consider playing them, a good G5 school, vs a weak G5 school to help their SOS. as one of the commentators/gameday crowd pointed out what Houston did in 2016(?) probably would have gotten them in if they had won out. they didn't. it can be done.

heck just look at all the controversy around the P5 schools trying to get into the playoffs. Its difficult to do, period. there is always a couple big boy schools making arguments for themselves, why would UCF be any different?

$20 says UCF wins out and lands in the Peach Bowl again against a 9-3 Kentucky team. If they loose, it gives a temporary boost to a middle of the pack SEC team but not threaten or endanger Alabama or Georgia or any of the other power programs. If UCF wins, it's probably boosts their credibility to an extent but not enough to legitimately threaten the Power 5 schools.

VN Store

Back