'11 DE OL Trip Thurman

As you know, an offer doesn't mean you have to accept a commitment. Banking on landing just the guys you have offers out to is a dangerous game. Still feel good about where we're at with the ones we have offered, but would like to see a few more out there.

As you know, an offer doesn't mean you have to accept a commitment. Banking on landing just the guys you have offers out to is a dangerous game. Still feel good about where we're at with the ones we have offered, but would like to see a few more out there.

Do tend to agree with that. I mean that was one aspect of CLK's regime that looked like it was paying dividends. Offer everyone, accept some.

As you know, an offer doesn't mean you have to accept a commitment.

One aspect of CLK's regime ... Offer everyone, accept some.

AKA tell them you're offering them a scholarship to come play when you don't mean it? AKA lie to them? Yep, that sounds like our boy Kiffin.

Offer you wouldn't accept a commitment from = Not actually an offer

AKA tell them you're offering them a scholarship to come play when you don't mean it? AKA lie to them? Yep, that sounds like our boy Kiffin.

To be fair, I could turn this around:

Tell the school you're committing to them when you might not be committed on NSD ... AKA lie to them

Commitment that you might rescind if you pick up other offers = Not actually a commitment

"Offer" "Commitment" "Accept" are just bad terms to describe the recruiting process

To be fair, I could turn this around:

Tell the school you're committing to them when you might not be committed on NSD ... AKA lie to them

Commitment that you might rescind if you pick up other offers = Not actually a commitment

"Offer" "Commitment" "Accept" are just bad terms to describe the recruiting process

Even more reason for an early signing period, say in September or so.

It's a 2 way street.

Lord knows I'm not a CLK lover and I'm usually one on here defending Dooley from the swarm because I am seeing some good patterns in their recruiting (especially at OL and DB).

However, for as long as a high school recruit can commit and change their minds, a football program should always be allowed to accept one commitment over another. The terminology (commitment/offer, etc.) are just tools that are meant to imply a spot is available and the interest is mutual. But in all aspects of recruiting, terms and conditions apply in both directions.

I'm sorry but an offer out to like 5 offensive lineman is not enough.

Agreed. He loves UT, it's a position of huge need, he has great offers from across the country. Hard to imagine why we shouldn't offer him and get after a commitment.

I think Dooley is probably only offering kids he is pretty sure he can land or wants to land....

Agreed. He loves UT, it's a position of huge need, he has great offers from across the country. Hard to imagine why we shouldn't offer him and get after a commitment.

So if we landed Posey, Luatua, Crowder, Thurman, and Robinson and called it a day for OL you wouldn't be the least bit disappointed?

Dooley really can't win. If he goes after elite talent, people question why we don't have any commitments and demand that we offer more, lower-quality guys just to get some commitments on the board. If he goes after 3 star players, people question why he isn't going after elite talent and wonder if he'll be able to cut it recruiting in the SEC.

So if we landed Posey, Luatua, Crowder, Thurman, and Robinson and called it a day for OL you wouldn't be the least bit disappointed?

Dooley really can't win. If he goes after elite talent, people question why we don't have any commitments and demand that we offer more, lower-quality guys just to get some commitments on the board. If he goes after 3 star players, people question why he isn't going after elite talent and wonder if he'll be able to cut it recruiting in the SEC.

Your intentions are good but the scenario presented does not add up. More likely to get Posey, Kerbyson, Luatua, Thurman/Robinson, and Richardson and call it a day. That should satisfy everyone, but I think we all know it won't.

Your intentions are good but the scenario presented does not add up. More likely to get Posey, Kerbyson, Luatua, Thurman/Robinson, and Richardson and call it a day. That should satisfy everyone, but I think we all know it won't.

99% of VN would be satisfied with that class right there.

The scenario I described was what we might end up with if we handed out offers to good prospects that we are almost certain would commit instead of giving the great prospects a little more time. It would absolutely satisfy me to get Kerbyson and Richardson along we three others. But we might have to wait just a little bit longer (especially in the case of Richardson). Or, we could go ahead and hand out offers to Crowder, Thurman, Robinson, etc. as some on here on demanding and not have room for Kerbyson, Richardson, and other guys we really want.

I would too so long as the list includes the guys we really want (Kerbyson and Richardson) and not the guys we handed out offers to just so that we could have some early commitments in April (Robinson, Thurman, Crowder, etc.)

Last edited:
I would too so long as the list includes the guys we really want (Kerbyson and Richardson) and not the guys we handed out offers to just so that we could have some early commitments in April (Robinson, Thurman, Crowder, etc.)

Thurman is a big time player. Robinson and Crowder are both solid. With that said, you don't have to accept a commitment. I'm pretty sure LV or someone said Dooley has denied a few.

Thurman is a big time player. Robinson and Crowder are both solid. With that said, you don't have to accept a commitment. I'm pretty sure LV or someone said Dooley has denied a few.

This. Life isn't black and white. There is a happy medium in the gray area. Even in recruiting. I'm pretty sure most reasonable people would agree with that.

Hubbs said a couple of weeks ago that Dooley has turned down a couple of commits. I dunno who he was talking about though.

The scenario I described was what we might end up with if we handed out offers to good prospects that we are almost certain would commit instead of giving the great prospects a little more time. It would absolutely satisfy me to get Kerbyson and Richardson along we three others. But we might have to wait just a little bit longer (especially in the case of Richardson). Or, we could go ahead and hand out offers to Crowder, Thurman, Robinson, etc. as some on here on demanding and not have room for Kerbyson, Richardson, and other guys we really want.

I see what you meant.

It's the other 1% that give us a bad name. Every fan base has them I guess.

Hubbs said a couple of weeks ago that Dooley has turned down a couple of commits. I dunno who he was talking about though.

Being able to turn them down, tells me good things are in store. It also tells me that our situation isn't NEAR as dyer as most would make it out to be in recruiting.

VN Store

Back