#1 Vanderbilt vs #4 Tennessee (Battle Of The Hot Seat Coaches) Ranking updated

When you start a coach‘s tenure with everyone trying to predict how he will do as HC of a top tier program, odds are that you aren’t doing too well already. Ask yourself this, how many Fortune 500 companies hire a first timer as their new CEO? Tennessee is NOT the place for a hot new commodity to prove himself. It is the place earned as a reward for demonstrated excellence (or at least it is SUPPOSED to be).
Microsoft doesn’t hire the leader of a 20 person internet service provider as their new CEO, no matter how impressive the resume. Big boys don’t gamble with their future. UT does on a regular basis.

When you start a coach‘s tenure with everyone trying to predict how he will do as HC of a top tier program, odds are that you aren’t doing too well already. Ask yourself this, how many Fortune 500 companies hire a first timer as their new CEO? Tennessee is NOT the place for a hot new commodity to prove himself. It is the place earned as a reward for demonstrated excellence (or at least it is SUPPOSED to be).
Microsoft doesn’t hire the leader of a 20 person internet service provider as their new CEO, no matter how impressive the resume. Big boys don’t gamble with their future. UT does on a regular basis.
One thing that Microsoft and big football programs have are large, deep benches/candidate pools from which to pick their next coach. When Urban retired, Ohio St had Ryan Day already on staff. When Stoops retired, Oklahoma had Lincoln Riley already on staff. When Bill Gates stepped down, they had Steve Ballmer who had been there since basically the beginning of the company (who actually stunk as a CEO) and when he retired they had Satya Nadella, who had been with Microsoft since the early 1990s. When Saban retires, the only thing that will impair them from getting who they want is the fear of that candidate not wanting to be the guy who follows in Saban's footsteps.

Tennessee, however, is in a position where we do have to take a flyer on someone. We don't have a large pool of people who are just naturally interested in the job on its own merits. An easy way to make the job more interesting is obviously to offer someone a ton of money. However, 1) simply offering a ton of money doesn't mean you'll hire the right coach and 2) much of the money that is offered comes with strings attached (i.e., a booster saying they'll pay for XYZ but not anybody else).

Reactions: MAD
Les Miles is a better than average Coach. He isn’t in the very top tier, but he is one of the coaches that has actually been able to beat Saban given enough talent. With Tennessee level talent, Miles could get at least 8 or 9 season wins IMHO.
that is why I favored him as the replacement for Jones. Enough of a proven and respected name to bring stability, end the clown show, recruit SEC level talent, and build the foundation for the next great TN run. I saw him as a Majors type figure who could right the ship and halt the spiral. A safe choice instead of rolling the dice on our third straight „lookup name on Google“ head coach. We rolled the dice though and hit snake eyes yet again.
They don't call him the " Mad Hatter " for nothing

View attachment 325341View attachment 325342
This week we have got a Top 5 matchup between “Hot Seat Coaches”.
Not the kind of “Top 5” match up Tennessee wants to be associated with.
It’s getting super hot for both # 1 Coach Derek Mason and # 5 Coach Jeremy Pruitt.
I think both are probably gone at the end of the year.
But this could be the very last chance either Coach can get a victory in 2020.
In my opinion, if CJP loses Saturday, he should over take the #1 spot and be fired immediately.

Is this ranking accurate?
Do either or both survive 2020?
No, Vandy's apathy and lack of interest in football means no way he's top 10 much less 1.

Les Miles is a better than average Coach. He isn’t in the very top tier, but he is one of the coaches that has actually been able to beat Saban given enough talent. With Tennessee level talent, Miles could get at least 8 or 9 season wins IMHO.
that is why I favored him as the replacement for Jones. Enough of a proven and respected name to bring stability, end the clown show, recruit SEC level talent, and build the foundation for the next great TN run. I saw him as a Majors type figure who could right the ship and halt the spiral. A safe choice instead of rolling the dice on our third straight „lookup name on Google“ head coach. We rolled the dice though and hit snake eyes yet again.

With Les Miles' history of offensive ineptness, I want no part of him as a head coach.

Fire away, but I wanted Les back in 2017.
I'd take him at this very moment. He's a successful SEC coach, in a dead-end, career-killing job. He would have us in a better situation than we find ourselves currently.

VN Store

Back