“The belief on campus is that Pruitt is done at Tennessee.“ - John Brice

I think our 2021 head coach will be Kevin Steele if it isn't Jeremy Pruitt. That isn't how I would play things BUT if we were able to avoid the Pruitt buyout AND only pay a head coach $450,000 this year, we'd be in excellent position to make a great hire after the season.
If that's the case then prepare for the worst recruiting class since the early 80s or late 70s.

Reactions: yabbadabbado
This is going to be another Dooley hiring scenario in that it will give the HC bout 2 weeks to close and secure this years recruiting class.

Reactions: golfballs
I think my post was knee-jerk reaction, to be honest. When you read that article, it's actually not really telling us anything. Just more speculation and what we already know:
1.) There's an investigation
2.) Several coaches were interviewed
3.) Pruitt's was yesterday and lasted quite a while
4.) Players are entering the transfer portal
5.) There's turmoil and people think he's leaving

I mean none of that is really new. Plus, he obviously wrote that before Pruitt left for California. So I actually would like to disregard my initial post.
Don’t visitors to California have to self quarantine for 14 days in their hotel before going anywhere? Asking for a football fanbase I know 😉

Don’t visitors to California have to self quarantine for 14 days in their hotel before going anywhere? Asking for a football fanbase I know 😉
So no lie, I know your joking, that’s actually a really smart thought! Does California require a 14-day quarantine? If so, it makes you wonder if they are heading to Cali as reported...🤔🤔

Steele was a candidate 3 years ago. If Pruitt is fired, Steele will be the new HC, most likely as an interim with the opportunity to work himself into a long term deal like LSU did with Ed Orgeron and Ole Miss did with Matt Luke.

The outrage among Vol fans would be deafening, but it's not a bad strategy. Best case scenario, Steele circles the wagons and rights the ship. Worst case scenario, we're better prepared financially to make a run at a proven HC.
Thanks for the info. I’m honestly just trying to understand wtf is happening on the hill at this point. All parties are definitely not moving in the same direction, that is for sure.

So no lie, I know your joking, that’s actually a really smart thought! Does California require a 14-day quarantine? If so, it makes you wonder if they are heading to Cali as reported...🤔🤔
I can see it now....Jeremy Pruitt arrested for breaking California Covid quarantine. Tennessee then fires for cause 😂😂😂

You know, even IF Pruitt gets things completely turned around by the end of next year, we will still be screwed. Do you really think Pruitt is going to stay loyal to a bunch of people who tried to kick him out when things were down? Hell no. He will leave as soon as another opportunity arises....if it ever does.:rolleyes:

I'm just telling you guys right now, straight up. Don't believe any of that ******** and get your hopes up.
Pruitt is not going to be fired.
He will be the coach next year.
More players will leave.
We will be absolute dogshit next season and beyond.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I thought something similar. I also don't know you can make special trips to see players during what I thought was a dead period. I wonder if they dont meet in a location and maybe Pruitt wants to face his accuser as maybe investigation Henry Ts family suggests he did something and Fulmer wants to do the right thing and let them have a face to face before making a determination. Just a conspiracy and I don't necessarily see it as afar fetched at this point because we know so dang little but smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
This is more "keystone cops" than the last coaching search/AD upheaval.

Send in the clowns.

I keep seeing similar things posted about Henry T, but what smoke? Not saying it doesn't exist but I haven't seen a single thing about him receiving improper benefits or considering a transfer other than people here worrying about that as a possibility because he's our best player. I'm not sure what to make of the coaches heading out to visit him but it does seem likely that they're trying to solidify his long term commitment to Tennessee or perhaps they need to communicate some things in person so there won't be a paper trail? I'm rambling but curious about when this smoke began to emerge and from what source.

I'm thinking not on the "communicate to avoid the paper trail." That means Steele would be involved in a cover up of NCAA violations his first week on the job. I don't see any way he would be part of that. That is the kind of stunt that would get him a show cause.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Think my biggest problem with firing Pruitt at this point is that Fulmer is still the AD, and the AD is a bigger problem.

No chance we hire Freeze or Kiffin with Fulmer at AD. We'll likely get Kevin Steele. And while Steele is a good interim option, I'm not particularly excited about him as a permanent HC.

Maybe we get Jamey Chadwell. That's probably a best case scenario and even he's a pretty big risk given his limited track record.

Chadwell is a risk that we should be willing to take, IMO. If we keep Pruitt, we're staring down the barrel of 4-8 or 5-7 next season.

Reactions: loservol
He is going to be the HC next season. Would not have gone to CA to see Henry T if he wasn't. Fulmer and Steele would have gone instead.
This is the common sense answer, but fan fiction is fun. We have people on TV and writing articles who are absolutely guessing. Like that John Adams segment on Finebaum yesterday. Lots of guessing.

But when you hire a coach and travel with new coach and current assistant to try and keep HT, it's obvious he's going to be here.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
December 1, 2017-
John Currie Athletic director of UT
WAS ON HIS WAY TO HIRE MIKE LEACH, and found out that the board fired him...

Pruitt is gone. That trip to Henry T is an either or Trip for Pruitt.
" Henry if I'm gone, come play for me at ---- as DC"
Or
" Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere "
It’s the latter, otherwise Steele and the other guy representing UT wouldn’t be with him.

I'm just telling you guys right now, straight up. Don't believe any of that ******** and get your hopes up.
Pruitt is not going to be fired.
He will be the coach next year.
More players will leave.
We will be absolute dogshit next season and beyond.

I really admire your optimism and sunny outlook.

Reactions: UTopia
It’s the latter, otherwise Steele and the other guy representing UT wouldn’t be with him.
Nope...
Not necessarily.

Pruitt would still be recruiting him regardless was my point.

I should have done a better job explaining option 1.

Chadwell is a risk that we should be willing to take, IMO. If we keep Pruitt, we're staring down the barrel of 4-8 or 5-7 next season.
Give him Steele, the bag man and a talented staff to help him and it might just work. Personally I think we end up with Steele as the HC.

I just don't understand how we could be hiring guys like Steele and an assistant strength coach and there is still talk of Pruitt losing the HC job. Any new Head Coach coming in here is going to want their own guys at all positions. These moves are just throwing away money if Pruitt is not retained. No way we start 2021 with an interim HC, which is what I see being talked about with the hiring of Steele.
You’re making way too much sense.

Reactions: Tombo7
December 1, 2017-
John Currie Athletic director of UT
WAS ON HIS WAY TO HIRE MIKE LEACH, and found out that the board fired him...

Pruitt is gone. That trip to Henry T is an either or Trip for Pruitt.
" Henry if I'm gone, come play for me at ---- as DC"
Or
" Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere "

Very different situation. That was Fulmer making it happen behind the scenes. CJP knows or is being advised what possible courses of action UT has. It is likely a range of options or, as others have said, being negotiated.

Reactions: Tombo7

VN Store

Back