‘We could’ve been legends there.’ Clemson offensive stars grew up fans of SEC school

"We could have been legends there." Well, you're not. A little presumptuous I think.

I had the same thought but was not going to say it. Seriously that ship has sailed for them. They had no desire to try to help bring the school they supposedly were a fan of back to its glory - that was the true opportunity to be something special. Instead, they decided to go to a school that was already well afloat. None of them are responsible for building Clemson into a winner - they jumped on when Clemson was already a winner.

Legends are those that help achieve what was thought to be impossible and succeed against the odds.

Reactions: AM64 and BigBadVol
It’s a punch in the guy to read that.

But had we landed all of them Butch would have failed to develop them into the players they are today.

Etienne might have only been given second string duty at RB.

Definitely some correlation between the downfall of our football program and the rise of Clemson.

I have in-laws who have lived within 15 miles of Clemson since forever - some went to school there, so I always had fairly fond thoughts about Clemson until we started losing real talent to them. Now, I hope LSU mops the floor with them. One of Clemson's starters is over at my brother's house a lot - nice guy and extremely polite ... and 300+ pounds of huge, but it doesn't change my opinion about Clemson football. In fact, if Dabo turned out to be ethically the second coming of Danny Ford, it would make my day.

Reactions: Lilcarl731
That's depressing. I hope Butch falls for my Nigerian Prince email scam and sends me a bunch of his money. He deserves to lose it.

Reactions: Lilcarl731 and AM64
It all started with Kiffin and Tajh Boyd. We have had the wrong coach in place each time when we have had recruits who grew up as fans. This was our loss and Clemson’s gain. Now we are starting to lay the foundation and change the toxic culture we have had since the Dooley era if not before.
Fulmer was wizard at plucking players from Tiger.
Anybody have a good count on how many players Dabo plucked from us in recruiting battles?

Too bad we BUTCHered the Football program with Dooley and Jones hires! Not to mention the Fulmer firing.
Fulmer drove the bus into the ditch. The others didn't pull it out but it was his poor hires and poor program and field discipline that caused it.

PS- Jones was a horrible coach. Other than catching a break with the legacy players... his recruiting was overrated too.

Other than OL recruiting, I don't see tangible difference between where we are now and where we were at the end of Butch's second season. This thing could go either way.

“I took my visit there and I just knew it wasn’t the place for me. Just really didn’t like the vibe,” Etienne said.
ugh

I believe Hamilton fired him with no plan - the ridiculous plan to hire Kiffin was the next bad idea in the sequence
Exactly what I think. Seems he went the opposite of Fulmer as far as, get the hot (not in appearance; I'm not letting myself walk into that one) young gun who can recruit and have an exciting offense before we get too outdated...

i certainly cannot pull for clemson now! what could have been....recruiting is the lifeblood of an SEC program

Reactions: AM64
It's more on the head of the AD for being cheap and derelict in their duty.
Reading this thread a thought occurred to me. Fans do have a voice and football is a huge generator of cash, ($$$$), for this university. This is undeniable. The administration at UT actually let the university down by hiring the likes of Mike Hamilton to start this decline and two more ,"not-so-good" hires followed that for our Athletic Dept. So far I like what I see in Fulmer as director. I'm not sure if he has an assistant but imagine he may have some assistants but I'm talking about a "special assistant". We need to groom that special assistant to eventually replace Fulmer when that time comes and avoid all the politicking that will likely take place if we attempt to do the search/hire as we did prior to Fulmer's recent hire. Using this foresight now will save this university in many ways in the days to come ,imho.

He's needs to produce on the field, first. I would be against any actions this spring/summer to give that guy an extension until he actually wins on the field. We made that mistake with Fulmer after the 2007 season and gave that guy a raise and extension.

Agreed. The only teams we beat with a winning record was UK and IU if I'm not mistaken. The GA st and BYU losses blew a big hole in any contract raises/extensions in my opinion.

Reactions: Lilcarl731
Reading this thread a thought occurred to me. Fans do have a voice and football is a huge generator of cash, ($$$$), for this university. This is undeniable. The administration at UT actually let the university down by hiring the likes of Mike Hamilton to start this decline and two more ,"not-so-good" hires followed that for our Athletic Dept. So far I like what I see in Fulmer as director. I'm not sure if he has an assistant but imagine he may have some assistants but I'm talking about a "special assistant". We need to groom that special assistant to eventually replace Fulmer when that time comes and avoid all the politicking that will likely take place if we attempt to do the search/hire as we did prior to Fulmer's recent hire. Using this foresight now will save this university in many ways in the days to come ,imho.

So sorry I can't give you 150 likes for that post. You're so right. Most companies understand the need to groom replacements so it is a puzzle why a university like UT doesn't do this. Going out and hiring some hired gun who may or may not have ties to the institution or respect for its tradition and well-being beyond his salary just doesn't make much sense. Least not in terms of long term stability. What is said about coaching staff stability/continuity for a football team can also be said for the AD position.

Last edited:
No sense in hating Clemson on account of our own (UT) hiring stupidity. They didn't tell us who to hire, and stick us with the consequences; we did it to ourselves.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Other than OL recruiting, I don't see tangible difference between where we are now and where we were at the end of Butch's second season. This thing could go either way.
Butch did a good job the first 2-3 years he was here. It took thatlong for fans and recruits to see what he really was. A good Division ll coach that got in over his head to didn't know how to treat really good athletes. I supported him for 2-3 years until it became obvious that he had quickly exceeded his potential. I am convinced that most fans did/do not realized how deep into the ground he ran our football program.

VN Store

Back