Votes: 27 32.1%

Votes: 53 63.1%
  • (1996)

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

#1fulmerite

Only losers dislike winners
Which team do you guys feel was the better team?

Both ended the regular season with one loss. Both were great teams. Both teams led by Peyton. Both were exciting and fun to watch.

The ‘95 team seemed more dominant to me but did not make the SECCG. Won an exciting bowl game at season’s end.

The ‘97 team played in and won the SECCG but was blown out by one of the best college football teams of all time, not just one of Nebraska’s.

If not for the Memphis State game, I would have included the ‘96 season as well. Now, some of you may want to include them; feel free.

The ‘95 team seemed more dominant to me but did not make the SECCG. Won an exciting bowl game at season’s end.

The ‘97 team played in and won the SECCG but was blown out by one of the best college football teams of all time, not just one of Nebraska’s.
You are what you do.

'97 hands down.

Go Vols!

p.s. Sticking with this principle (you are what you accomplish), I would rank the Top 5 Vols teams of most of our lifetimes this way:
'98 - SEC and National Champs, undefeated
'89 - SEC Champs
'97 - SEC Champs
'85 - SEC Champs - The Sugar Vols
'90 - SEC Champs

Last edited:
The 97 team was more talented across the board. I still wish they would have played better in the Swamp and later against Nebraska. The defense was inconsistent, and Peyton let the gators get into his head as did all of Volnation, but man that team was good, especially the offense.

We will probably never see again a sec conference championship game where a team turns the ball over 6 times to the other teams 1 and still is able to win the game like in 97.
Picked the 95 team because the 97 team played some really sloppy football at times and the coaching staff at times just seemed so unprepared

Manning never had an elite defense @ UT but I will go with 1997. There were good players but Deon Grant, Al Wilson, and others didn’t become dominant or into their own until the 1998 season.

Spurrier had our number as he out-coached Fulmer and company, along with most other coaches on FL’ schedule. TN always turned it over and I can still see Danny Weurfel (sp) passing for a 30 plus yard TD in 4th and 10 (or 15).

Nebraska manhandled us in the trenches as they were simply bigger, stronger and faster. As a result, our conditioning and training staff introduced creatine to our players after learning Nebraska and other schools had been giving to their players. immediate success.

Many forget Manning shouldn’t have played Vs Nebraska as he was hospitalized with a bursac infection causing his knee to swell like a balloon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning never had an elite defense @ UT but I will go with 1997. There were good players but Deon Grant, Al Wilson, and others didn’t become dominate or into their own until the 1998 season.

Spurrier had our number as he out-coached Fulmer and company, along with most other coaches on FL’ schedule. TN always turned it over and I can still see Danny Weurfell (sp) passing for a 30 plus yard TD in 4th and 10 (or 15).

Nebraska manhandled us in the trenches as they were simply bigger, stronger and faster. As a result, our conditioning and training staff introduced creatine to our players after learning Nebraska and other schools had been giving to their players. immediate success.

Many forget Manning shouldn’t have played Vs Nebraska as he was hospitalized with a bursac infection causing his knee to swell like a balloon.
Pretty sure those Nebraska boys were on a lot more than Creatine back in those days.

You are what you do.

'97 hands down.

Go Vols!

p.s. Sticking with this principle (you are what you accomplish), I would rank the Top 5 Vols teams of most of our lifetimes this way:
'98 - SEC and National Champs, undefeated
'89 - SEC Champs
'97 - SEC Champs
'85 - SEC Champs - The Sugar Vols
'90 - SEC Champs

Good list. Even though I was only a young kid, I'd have to throw the '67 and '69 SEC Championship teams in there as well. The 1970 team may be our best team to have not won a title.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Pretty sure those Nebraska boys were on a lot more than Creatine back in those days.
I was too young to have watched that game back in the day, but I feel like if Jamal Lewis hadn't fumbled early in the redzone it would have been a lot closer. Maybe not won the game, but Nebraska really took advantage of that mistake.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
The 97 team was more talented across the board. I still wish they would have played better in the Swamp and later against Nebraska. The defense was inconsistent, and Peyton let the gators get into his head as did all of Volnation, but man that team was good, especially the offense.

This is going back a long time but I swear we were beat up and damaged goods by the Nebraska game. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but we seemed very tired by that game and Nebraska was fresh.

Which team do you guys feel was the better team?

Both ended the regular season with one loss. Both were great teams. Both teams led by Peyton. Both were exciting and fun to watch.

If not for the Memphis State game, I would have included the ‘96 season as well. Now, some of you may want to include them; feel free.

I think the 1997 team was better by the end of the year. Jamal Lewis didn't start early, which cost us the Florida game. I still think we beat the Gators if he starts. But by the time he was in the lineup, that offense was more balanced than the 1995 version and the defense was better.

It’s interesting to me that Peyton Manning’s efficiency was the best his sophomore year, and his completion percentage was the lowest his senior year. I remember a lot of dropped passes in 1997 and receivers running the wrong route, especially in the South Carolina, Arkansas, and Vanderbilt games. I think the ‘95 team was better. The ‘97 offense was inconsistent at times, and their defense was not that good, tons of missed tackles. The ‘95 team had a better defense and the offense was more balanced from the beginning with Jay Graham.

If Washington St. had of beaten Michigan which they almost did then our game vs Nebraska would’ve been a de facto national title game it wouldn’t have mattered anyway though Nebraska still would’ve rolled us. We would’ve had a legitimate claim to the national title if we had of beat Nebraska anyway.

I was too young to have watched that game back in the day, but I feel like if Jamal Lewis hadn't fumbled early in the redzone it would have been a lot closer. Maybe not won the game, but Nebraska really took advantage of that mistake.
I was 15, but i don’t recall much of it. Watching it once was enough for me.

If Washington St. had of beaten Michigan which they almost did then our game vs Nebraska would’ve been a de facto national title game it wouldn’t have mattered anyway though Nebraska still would’ve rolled us. We would’ve had a legitimate claim to the national title if we had of beat Nebraska anyway.
There was probably no way anyone was beating Nebraska in Tom Osbornes last game.

Manning never had an elite defense @ UT but I will go with 1997. There were good players but Deon Grant, Al Wilson, and others didn’t become dominant or into their own until the 1998 season.

Spurrier had our number as he out-coached Fulmer and company, along with most other coaches on FL’ schedule. TN always turned it over and I can still see Danny Weurfel (sp) passing for a 30 plus yard TD in 4th and 10 (or 15).

Those Nebraska players could have shown Barry Bonds how to and what to shoot up.
Osborne ran a Soviet-level steroid system.
When they could no longer get away with it, the football program could not produce those walk-on 300lb bulldozers who went unrecruited by any team in the nation, but were pushing All-Americans straight back by their Jr years.
Nebraska's glory was over.

Both Nebraska touchdowns in the first half came off of Tennessee turnovers. Tennessee could have easily been leading at the half. That being said, Nebraska was the better team and the rushing display that they put on in the third quarter was something to behold.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
This is going back a long time but I swear we were beat up and damaged goods by the Nebraska game. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but we seemed very tired by that game and Nebraska was fresh.

Geeessh, they had a 3 week break. NE just made us look tired IMO. They came to win a Title.

Dang fellas, that 97 game wasn’t that long ago… y’all making it sound like the Stone Age.

And Nebraska was the best team in the universe that year. We could not stop the option. They manhandled us like nobody’s business.
It was a tip your cap ass beating. I can remember a few plays where they ran the ball for a modest 15 or 20 yards and when the play was over there were at least three Vols laying on the field hurt just having been run slam over .. by the fourth quarter we didn’t want no mo.

If you are talking about that left sweep where he was hit low, flipped and fumbled, that one play still sticks out!

Pretty sure Peyton had some sort of knee problem too

Seems he hurt it during the SECCG. He just did not look good that night against Nebraska.

VN Store

Back