‘23 PA SF Justin Edwards

No, I agree we were definitely in the thick of it for both guys. Probably top-2 for both guys. Just agreeing with @berryvol that Jabari Smith did an interview just recently stating he wanted to go to UK growing up. These guys say a lot of things after the fact. In the end, they went where they went, though. It would have been crazy to have Smith, Banchero, Chandler, and Ingram all on the same team.

I think Jabari just took his safe pick- close to home with a coach who plays more of a wide open offense. I think the pandemic had some influence but no way to tell how much.

Curious, how do you know this? By the way, those are my two least favorite programs, so I would love for it to be true, but you state it with certainty, so I assume you have factual knowledge?
Welcome to VN as you must be new around here if you think every definitive statement is supported by facts!

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
No, I agree we were definitely in the thick of it for both guys. Probably top-2 for both guys. Just agreeing with @berryvol that Jabari Smith did an interview just recently stating he wanted to go to UK growing up. These guys say a lot of things after the fact. In the end, they went where they went, though. It would have been crazy to have Smith, Banchero, Chandler, and Ingram all on the same team.
Not sure Ingram would've fit but the other 3 would've definitely

Not sure Paulo’s style would’ve fit with Barnes. He picked and chose when he wanted to play defense a lot last year and you could tell he was half assing on both ends at times as the season went. Barnes may have gotten more effort out of him, but they def would’ve butt heads a lot the way he played under K.

He would have fit, I watched him and Stanford a few times last year. He can ball , not like Banchero and Smith, but at the least, a potential late 1st/early 2nd round pick in a year or 2, imo.

Part of me thinks that’s why it didn’t work out. I remember when he was ranking his top schools he had a interview where he was talking about how we really weren’t recruiting him hard and he loved it here. I think him not feeling the love might have caused domino effect.

He would have fit, I watched him and Stanford a few times last year. He can ball , not like Banchero and Smith, but at the least, a potential late 1st/early 2nd round pick in a year or 2, imo.
Just because you are good doesn't mean you fit. Ingram needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective because his skill is playmaking. He doesn't add defense really at all and he doesn't add much scoring while he can't shoot so playing off ball is tough

Just because you are good doesn't mean you fit. Ingram needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective because his skill is playmaking. He doesn't add defense really at all and he doesn't add much scoring while he can't shoot so playing off ball is tough
I feel our system is at its best when our PF can make plays with the rim at his back… maybe that’s just me.

Back to Edwards, coaches do not believe we currently lead or trail KY. It remains a two team race for now. They do not agree with On3 assertion that parents like us while he likes KY. He likes us just fine too. Their perception is that he wants to reflect on the choice after Peach Jam. His performance there could attract other offers, different NIL dynamics etc. He was advised to wait. This is the first in-person Peach Jam since 19, and people think it will be big, particularly with Bronny James celebrity value etc. While new offers may not distract him, they could. I think the larger issue may be that a strong performance could change his perceived brand value/NIL. The timing of dead period is definitely not ideal. He’ll announce one day after the close of the current dead period. Coaches may not hear until the 25th or at the announcement. If I do hear something new, obviously I’ll share it.

Can’t say that update makes me feel too great, but appreciate the info SF. Glad we’re still in it. I just wonder at what point his value gets too high and we’re no longer able to afford him.
My thoughts as well. The tone was nice but the substance worries me

Can’t say that update makes me feel too great, but appreciate the info SF. Glad we’re still in it. I just wonder at what point his value gets too high and we’re no longer able to afford him.
I think any kid at this talent level is going to have a group around him that forces him to play his hand out. That’s the world we’re in. We have the longest and best connections to him. The perception that he like KY more is incorrect. No matter how he does at Peach Jam, I think we’re the most stable choice. He and his family know us better than they know any other program. Let’s see how it plays out.

I think any kid at this talent level is going to have a group around him that forces him to play his hand out. That’s the world we’re in. We have the longest and best connections to him. The perception that he like KY more is incorrect. No matter how he does at Peach Jam, I think we’re the most stable choice. He and his family know us better than they know any other program. Let’s see how it plays out.

Good to know. Hope in the end that connection pays off over pure NIL maximization. It’s not like our offer is a bad one. Seems like it’s allegedly 7-figured for a one-and-done so that ain’t too shabby IMO.

This makes me think he’s a Vol.

Reactions: berryvol and Ryno14
I don't think you can say he's a Vol or Cat right now. Don't think the kid knows at this point, hence everything SF just said
Yeah, I didn’t mean to say I think he’s 100% a Vol. Just from everything SF said, talking about how he thinks he likes us just as much as Kentucky. If Kentucky wasn’t a dream school, and it comes down to how close he is with the staff, I think he’ll be a vol.

From my friend. “No contact with him. We’re in the dead period. Something in the money department just happened.” Taking that as bad news. Last week I heard KY collective was planning to go nuclear. Maybe this is first swing. There’s still a week for things to change, but doesn’t sound good.

From my friend. “No contact with him. We’re in the dead period. Something in the money department just happened.” Taking that as bad news. Last week I heard KY collective was planning to go nuclear. Maybe this is first swing. There’s still a week for things to change, but doesn’t sound good.

Gotta give Kentucky credit, if they waited till the last possible second before the dead period to make this massive offer so our staff couldn’t contact him to help counter….pretty smart.

Gotta give Kentucky credit, if they waited till the last possible second before the dead period to make this massive offer so our staff couldn’t contact him to help counter….pretty smart.
It didn’t happen prior. It happened during dead period. Can’t stop a collective from meeting a kid because they aren’t governed by ncaa. I’m asking for more info.

VN Store

Back