‘23 Nigeria C Rueben Abuchi Chinyelu

Assuming it’s his only other visit have to still feel solid about our chances here, he had a great time in Knoxville and hard to fault him and his family for wanting to have something to compare it to and going through with a visit that was set.
Yeah, I said the same thing back when it was announced he'd visit Florida. I can't blame him for wanting to at least have one side-by-side comparison and doing his due diligence. Hopefully the first impression is tough to beat for him and his family.

Reactions: tennrich1
Yeah, I said the same thing back when it was announced he'd visit Florida. I can't blame him for wanting to at least have one side-by-side comparison and doing his due diligence. Hopefully the first impression is tough to beat for him and his family.
He and his family are pretty awestruck by Barnes and his track record of putting kids in the NBA. His dad is pretty churchy, and that was also a big connection point. Everything about their visit here was perfect, including the Spyre aspect. Golden has heavy international NBA connections and said he would bring more international players to Florida. I don’t think any of that stacks up to how he sees Barnes or our program.

He and his family are pretty awestruck by Barnes and his track record of putting kids in the NBA. His dad is pretty churchy, and that was also a big connection point. Everything about their visit here was perfect, including the Spyre aspect. Golden has heavy international NBA connections and said he would bring more international players to Florida. I don’t think any of that stacks up to how he sees Barnes or our program.
Yeah, Golden's international connections are the only thing that concerns me.

LOL...what?!?!? Those two schools couldn't be any further apart. Is he returning home before going, or going while he's already in the states? Almost have to wonder if we soured on him since his visit, or vice-versa. Or perhaps, the weary traveler narrative was overblown.

Reactions: Ryno14
LOL...what?!?!? Those two schools couldn't be any further apart. Is he returning home before going, or going while he's already in the states? Almost have to wonder if we soured on him since his visit, or vice-versa. Or perhaps, the weary traveler narrative was overblown.
I don’t have Sunday night access to my source, but I’m sure I’ll hear the scoop this week. If it’s overblown, I guess I’m the overblower.

Reactions: allen phillips
I don’t have Sunday night access to my source, but I’m sure I’ll hear the scoop this week. If it’s overblown, I guess I’m the overblower.
Yeah, that wasn't a shot at you. I didn't even remember where that narrative originated, so it certainly wasn't meant as a call-out. I hope it didn't come across that way. My bad if it did.

Yeah, that wasn't a shot at you. I didn't even remember where that narrative originated, so it certainly wasn't meant as a call-out. I hope it didn't come across that way. My bad if it did.
No. I wasn’t bothered. I got the info from someone I trust. I definitely think his family expressed a reticence about the travel, but things change. I am not sure I believe that he’s taking those visits. Those schools are big downgrades. If true, it suggests something altogether different.

No. I wasn’t bothered. I got the info from someone I trust. I definitely think his family expressed a reticence about the travel, but things change. I am not sure I believe it yet. Those schools are big downgrades. If true, it suggests something altogether different.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It almost lends credence to the idea that we may have cooled on him, for whatever reason. It wouldn't seem like that reason could be basketball-related, but who knows.

Washington State and Rutgers. Sheesh. With his talent, it almost seems unthinkable he wouldn’t be impressed enough by Florida or Tennessee and would go there instead.

I honestly wonder if the family realizes how large the United States actually is. I've met people from all over the world who don't have a clear idea of the scale of the country. It's possible they don't realize how far away Pullman, Washington is from just about every where else.

The travel narrative was also reported by Rob Lewis and VQ so they clearly heard the same.

Reactions: berryvol
Is he fishing for the highest NIL bid?
If so, I'd have to think he'd aim higher than Washington State and Rutgers. In a sense, you're glad that's your competition, but in another sense, it's concerning that his next two visits are a pretty staggering step down in perception. Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: berryvol
If so, I'd have to think he'd aim higher than Washington State and Rutgers. In a sense, you're glad that's your competition, but in another sense, it's concerning that his next two visits are a pretty staggering step down in perception. Something doesn't add up.
I don’t know the answer, my guess is some sort of tie on those staffs to NBA Academy or Nigeria, but that’s just a guess.

Jamie Shaw saying Chinyelu is setting up visits to Rutgers and Washington State
Washington State...maybe, but Rutgers? Yeah, he's gonna love Jersey winters and those damnable jug handles not to mention those lovely people of Jersey. Highest per capita number of a-holes this side of Philly.

VN Store

Back