‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

Let’s see how we close the class, with 15 scholarships you aren’t going to have 15 contributors, so it’s a good year to take a flyer on a guy or 2 to redshirt and see if maybe you found something there. We’ve landed Powell, if we land another impact transfer along with landing BHH we are sitting with quite a few impact players on the roster.

Plus, transfers are still kind of a lottery ticket, so you want to stockpile as many as you can. Anosike was supposed to be an impact player, and we see how that turned out.

I've seen this different places and it always takes me aback. Jeronne Maymon with knees was a great college basketball player. Jeronne Maymon with shot knees was better than any of our posts in the last two years.
His peak was the 30 pts 20 Reb game in a Hawaii I think? He was an amazing ball player
Undersized but very tough, explosive and agile

Reactions: wmcovol
I remember a guy named Kyle Alexander who became a key player for us during his junior and senior seasons. He was raw just like this kid, but I think he will be a solid prospect like Kyle.

Kyle was way more athletic if memory serves. I hope he does develop. Barnes seems to love tall skinny guys who need a lot of work to play at this level.

Seems like Kyle had close to a 40 inch vertical in high school. Could be misremembering. I don't see that from Tamba.
I don't remember that, and it certainly didn't show in his game. At 6-10, a 40" vertical would be among the elite. Durant is 33.5", DeAndre Jordan is in the low 30s, LeBron is around 40+. I'll agree that KA was a better leaper than Tamba, but there's more to athleticism that jumping ability. Tamba is pretty athletic in transition, can handle the ball a decent bit, and gets up to block shots. I don't believe either is in the elite level of athleticism, and if we're splitting hairs, I'd give the edge to Alexander, but it isn't by a great deal, IMO.

I don't remember that, and it certainly didn't show in his game. At 6-10, a 40" vertical would be among the elite. Durant is 33.5", DeAndre Jordan is in the low 30s, LeBron is around 40+. I'll agree that KA was a better leaper than Tamba, but there's more to athleticism that jumping ability. Tamba is pretty athletic in transition, can handle the ball a decent bit, and gets up to block shots. I don't believe either is in the elite level of athleticism, and if we're splitting hairs, I'd give the edge to Alexander, but it isn't by a great deal, IMO.

Someone said it in his recruitment thread back in 2015. Could have been speaking about someone else in the thread though. I just wish Tamba put up better numbers and wasn't such a clear long term project. We just have too many that float through the roster every couple of years.

KA was able to run the floor immediately with his soccer background. But it wasn’t until he was a junior that he was consistently NOT fumbling balls passed to him. His 12’ baseline jumper really came around about that time as well. TN was a FF team his senior year had he not been hurt and had to sit in the NCAAT.

TN’s injuries have ruined several seasons. Kyle. Turner. Half the roster in 2020-21. Even both of Fulk’s freshman seasons. It’s part of it, but TN’s luck has been horrible. Grunfeld had a broken wrist. King was injured at the end of his sophomore year.

KA was able to run the floor immediately with his soccer background. But it wasn’t until he was a junior that he was consistently NOT fumbling balls passed to him. His 12’ baseline jumper really came around about that time as well. TN was a FF team his senior year had he not been hurt and had to sit in the NCAAT.

TN’s injuries have ruined several seasons. Kyle. Turner. Half the roster in 2020-21. Even both of Fulk’s freshman seasons. It’s part of it, but TN’s luck has been horrible. Grunfeld had a broken wrist. King was injured at the end of his sophomore year.
Yes, he had hands of stone for a long time, and very little basketball experience to boot. That injury his senior year was devastating, as were others back to Ernie and Bernie. Don’t forget the King night-before-Syracuse fiasco as well.

Marques Bragg 10 ppg; Grant Williams. 15 ppg; Jordan Hamilton 15 ppg; Marty Conlon 15ppg; Lamarcus Aldridge 14 ppg & 8 rbs; Kenny Sanders 22 ppg & 9 rbs; Michael Smith 12 ppg & 10 rbs; Chris Mihn 15ppg & 10 rbs; and for one year Kevin Durant 26 ppg & 11rbs.
“Under the radar”
I don’t think that means what you think it means.

And Lofton went through his senior year with literal CANCER which likely cost us a deep run in March. You can't make up the things that happen to this program.

Right. Do u really want him with all the better kids, UT is on ? Because there is not one kid that has visited and/or will visit, that I wouldn't take over Tamba, even if they are all guards and Mitchell
First off you don’t know what he’s going to become, you’re basing it off a recruiting ranking, and while those typically are accurate there are outliers such as Kyle Alexander who had a worse ranking and offer list than Tamba. Tamba also plays for BMaze, a program that just gave us Jaden Springer and is about to give us BJ Edwards, and has a host more of kids upcoming…so if taking Tamba keeps that pipeline open and he’s a development guy willing to work hard and stick it out in a culture of guys wanting to transfer all the time then you take him.

VN Store

Back