‘22 NJ OL Savion Herring - JUCO (Tennessee Commit)

Sometimes the "just a body" turns out to be a force like walk-on Jimmy Noonan, who was a short undersized nose tackle built like a fire hydrant for the '77-'80 Vols. He turned out to be something special and my (sometimes bad) memory is that he became the 1980 team captain.

“How Tough was Jimmy Noonan?”

What about the stones of his Brother Danny Noonan. He holed a 15 foot putt on 18 to beat Judge Smails. Great revenge after this insult

646339EC-30C2-479A-A3E9-27C7A53A137A.gif

I know what AP said, but he basically said that if you’re still a JUCO at this point in the year then you must be just a body.

He’s also said that the staff isn’t going to take someone unless they can help us for multiple years.

He may be just a body - but I doubt the staff would take someone if they didn’t like their upside.
We wouldn’t waste 3 years worth of a scholarship unless we think he can play at some point. I’m sure he will just be depth at first

Article from March:
North Jersey offensive lineman Savion Herring is back on the market with three years to play two. He’s on pace to graduate from Monroe College (New Rochelle, N.Y.) with an associate’s degree in May. Now, he has his eyes set on his next big challenge – earning his bachelor’s degree while showcasing his talent against stiff competition. Coaches from Penn State, Rutgers, Florida State, Arkansas, Tennessee, BYU, Boise State, Wake Forest, Kansas, UConn, Buffalo and Jackson State have expressed interest and are poised to watch Herring train in May when he graduates.

Until then, Herring will grind. The 6-6, 305-pounder rolls out of bed at 5 a.m. and does push-ups and sit-ups adjacent to his bed. He then brushes his teeth before going outside to jump rope and flip a giant tire up a hill among other activities. He returns home to eat, then do schoolwork and take a nap before heading to the gym, where he bench presses 345 pounds, squats 500 and hang cleans 295. Finally, he drives to Monroe for class before heading back to Irvington High to train more before returning home to Kearny. He also works with his dad in the family construction business.

...“I prefer tackle because I have quick feet for a big guy being that I took kickboxing when I was younger and played basketball,” Herring said. “I feel like tackle is my best position. I can move. That allows me the upper hand on my opponents.”
Big North Jersey OL Savion Herring back on the market, grinding and fielding new opportunities

I know what AP said, but he basically said that if you’re still a JUCO at this point in the year then you must be just a body.

He’s also said that the staff isn’t going to take someone unless they can help us for multiple years.

He may be just a body - but I doubt the staff would take someone if they didn’t like their upside.
Odd turnaround from last month wanting 1 year guys that wouldn't affect our 2023 class numbers. Unless he meant JUCO/hs kids as opposed to transfers, since they're all gonna have 2+ years eligibility. If you're going juco, as we are here, better be dang sure they aren't just a warm body. They must feel good.

With all of the incoming 23' O-line recruits that have high interest in UT, I'm not sure why we grabbed him, other than him being a step ahead of the incoming freshmen and could possibly be a backup @ left tackle. IDK?!? I'm sorry, but this one doesn't make sense to me. JMO

Reactions: BreatheUT
Odd turnaround from last month wanting 1 year guys that wouldn't affect our 2023 class numbers. Unless he meant JUCO/hs kids as opposed to transfers, since they're all gonna have 2+ years eligibility. If you're going juco, as we are here, better be dang sure they aren't just a warm body. They must feel good.
I think the one year thing was speculation. I don't remember any coach actually saying that.

Sometimes the "just a body" turns out to be a force like walk-on Jimmy Noonan, who was a short undersized nose tackle built like a fire hydrant for the '77-'80 Vols. He turned out to be something special and my (sometimes bad) memory is that he became the 1980 team captain.

“How Tough was Jimmy Noonan?”

I was a student during this time. Don’t recall the year, I was at a particular game. Think it was one of the Mississippi teams, but I could be wrong. Noonan was lined up in the gap between the center and left guard. Someone on the OL flinched (I think it was the LT). Noonan shot the gap, delivering a forearm shiver to the stationary LG. Dude dropped like a sack of potatoes and laid there. Noonan was an undersized but tough player.

Some may remember the particulars better than I. I just remember the dude sprawled out on the ground.

Reactions: OrangeShade
I was a student during this time. Don’t recall the year, I was at a particular game. Think it was one of the Mississippi teams, but I could be wrong. Noonan was lined up in the gap between the center and left guard. Someone on the OL flinched (I think it was the LT). Noonan shot the gap, delivering a forearm shiver to the stationary LG. Dude dropped like a sack of potatoes and laid there. Noonan was an undersized but tough player.

Some may remember the particulars better than I. I just remember the dude sprawled out on the ground.

Grandpa.

With all of the incoming 23' O-line recruits that have high interest in UT, I'm not sure why we grabbed him, other than him being a step ahead of the incoming freshmen and could possibly be a backup @ left tackle. IDK?!? I'm sorry, but this one doesn't make sense to me. JMO

Stargazers be hella mad.

Hope he doesn’t play like another Savion we had and did absolutely nothing

Remember when we all we convinced this was a good get. He was supposed to help take us to the top. Boy that was a pipe dream.

I think the one year thing was speculation. I don't remember any coach actually saying that.
It came from the recruiting sites as the staff's majority strategy. It also made perfect sense. No, there was no quote ofc. No reason to make to make it up either.

AP disrespected him. Hope he poo poos on him.
Disrespected? A majority of players that come through will be depth or a body. He's a very late JUCO take whose closest competition was Kansas and Syracuse for goodness sake. Would you rather he just lie than give his genuine opinion?

It's still just an informed opinion, but I'll take genuine honesty over BS rainbows and unicorns any day. There's no use in the latter.

VN Store

Back