‘21 TX SF Harrison Ingram

Or, maybe all the schools in VCU’s conference suck and he feasted on inferior competition. And, when he coaches in a good BB conference, he’s not up for it. Not every mid-major coach can shake it in a better conference.

All the idiots at texas (who only support their teams when they are winning and actively boo their teams - mostly football when they aren’t good) deserve mediocrity. :p:p:p:p

The A-10 is a very good conference. Shaka has won 4 post season tournaments including the NIT 2 years ago. He's also taken a MM to the NCAAT Final Four.

When he took the Texas job he was still a very young coach. I think he'll have them winning a lot of games there if their fans don't poison the program with unreasonable expectations.

The A-10 is a very good conference. Shaka has won 4 post season tournaments including the NIT 2 years ago. He's also taken a MM to the NCAAT Final Four.

When he took the Texas job he was still a very young coach. I think he'll have them winning a lot of games there if their fans don't poison the program with unreasonable expectations.

He’s 90-81 at texas. It’s not as if he’s setting the world on fire. Yay, he won the NIT two years ago. Big whoop. They fired Rick Barnes for going to the NCAA tournament 16 out of 17 years. Yes, they may have unrealistic expectations, but he’s clearly not cutting it.

Reactions: walkenvol
He’s 90-81 at texas. It’s not as if he’s setting the world on fire. Yay, he won the NIT two years ago. Big whoop. They fired Rick Barnes for going to the NCAA tournament 16 out of 17 years. Yes, they may have unrealistic expectations, but he’s clearly not cutting it.

Shaka's 2nd season at Texas was very bad. 11-22. It was the only losing season in his career which includes a Final Four. He has a perfect record in the other national tournaments he's gone to.

Shaka is not dumb and he does not suck. His 5th season at Texas was very similar to CRB's 5th season at Tennessee.

Shaka's 2nd season at Texas was very bad. 11-22. It was the only losing season in his career which includes a Final Four. He has a perfect record in the other national tournaments he's gone to.

Shaka is not dumb and he does not suck. His 5th season at Texas was very similar to CRB's 5th season at Tennessee.
I agree with you that Shaka is better than Zoo is giving him credit for, but your comparison of Shaka and Barnes' 5th seasons is pretty misleading because it ignores their respective 3rd and 4th seasons. In a sense, Shaka's 5th season is slightly better than Barnes' 2nd season. So if we are paralleling the two, Shaka is way behind schedule.

I agree with you that Shaka is better than Zoo is giving him credit for, but your comparison of Shaka and Barnes' 5th seasons is pretty misleading because it ignores their respective 3rd and 4th seasons. In a sense, Shaka's 5th season is slightly better than Barnes' 2nd season. So if we are paralleling the two, Shaka is way behind schedule.

Both were around the 2020 NCAAT bubble and I think that Shaka might have had a slight advantage getting in. I compared their season 5 which is not at all misleading. Without knowing what Shaka has coming in recruit wise, I would say that Barnes has TN's program in better shape based on the 3 coming in and the waters that TN is swimming in for 2021.

Shaka has been pretty good in the post season over his career. Too bad we didn't get to see what he would have done in the 2020 NCAAT.

I'm not saying that Shaka is going to be a great P-5 coach and I think that Barnes is better at 65 than Shaka is at 40ish. I'd rather have The Deacon. But Shaka does not suck as a coach and he's certainly not dumb.

Both were around the 2020 NCAAT bubble and I think that Shaka might have had a slight advantage getting in. I compared their season 5 which is not at all misleading. Without knowing what Shaka has coming in recruit wise, I would say that Barnes has TN's program in better shape based on the 3 coming in and the waters that TN is swimming in for 2021.

Shaka has been pretty good in the post season over his career. Too bad we didn't get to see what he would have done in the 2020 NCAAT.

I'm not saying that Shaka is going to be a great P-5 coach and I think that Barnes is better at 65 than Shaka is at 40ish. I'd rather have The Deacon. But Shaka does not suck as a coach and he's certainly not dumb.
I say misleading because it seemed to imply that Barnes and Smart are tracking in the same direction to simply say that they had similar seasons in their 5th year without acknowledging what occurred in seasons 3 and 4. Smart took 5 seasons to accomplish what Barnes did in 2, which was to have his team on the bubble. And he hasn't even sniffed what Barnes did in years 3 and 4, yet. It just sounded a little delusive to only compare their 5th seasons as some sort of benchmark, perhaps unintentional.

And I agree that Shaka is a better coach that Zoo is giving him credit for. I'd prefer Barnes, what he has recruited, the culture he has built, and obviously the results, but Shaka is not a bad coach.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Big 12 has better coaches overall than the SEC.
I don't know, it's close. I'd probably rank them like this...
BIG 12
Bill Self - 3 FFs, 1 title
Chris Beard - 1 FF
Bob Huggins - 2 FFs
Scott Drew
Lon Kruger - 2 FFs
Jamie Dixon
Bruce Weber - 1 FF
Steve Prohm
Shaka Smart
Mike Boynton

SEC
John Calipari - 4 FFs, 1 title
Rick Barnes - 1 FF
Bruce Pearl - 1 FF
Will Wade
Buzz Williams
Ben Howland - 3 FFs
Tom Crean - 1 FF
Eric Musselman
Frank Martin - 1 FF
Kermit Davis

Big 12 only has 10 teams so I just ranked who I thought the top 10 in the SEC were.

I'd say a side-by-side comparison shows it's a pretty worthwhile debate, maybe even give the edge to the SEC.

With a 90-81 record at Texas, Smart probably has to make the 2021 NCAA Tournament and make a deep run to stay long term at Texas.

Last edited:
With a 90-81 record at Texas, Smart probably has to make the 2020 NCAA Tournament and make a deep run to stay long term at Texas.
Honestly don't think he would've even survived here with that record. Only slightly better than what Buzz Peterson was able to muster up here. (.508 to .52). Only won 19 games on the easiest schedule he's had at Texas to date, and was not going to make the tournament barring a improbable run. The most games he's won in a season is 21. Barnes won 20 with tournament appearance his last year there.

Reactions: sport3500
Bump, Ingram announces tomorrow. I know UT is not in his final 6, but I'm still curious where he ends up. I'm hoping he knocks all 6 hats off and puts on a Tennessee hat from under the table, but that's probably a fantasy. Even though, I'm still mad at Purdue for robbing UT of an Elite 8, I hope he ends up there

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Seems so many people are committing early this year. Only 34 of the top 100 on 247 hasn't committed yet. Only 36 of the top 100 on Rivals.

VN Store

Back