‘21 GA PF Jabari Smith (Auburn commit)

If Jabari Smith is being offered $350k-$450k, where do you think the G-League came up with that number? That's similar to what he is being offered in recruiting. So again, the money he is going to make will be virtually the same whether he goes overseas, the G-League, or college.

It will come down to who he thinks can develop him the best if he is hell-bent on being 1 and done. The thing that never gets talked about in terms college perks is the alumni support an athlete can get once their career is over. Plenty of guys get a job from some booster because they like having them around and hearing the ole battle stories. How many former athletes are coaching in and around the Knoxville area and they leap frogged other applicants because college towns tend to take care of their own first (unless they were a turd)? If you are a great athlete the university will hire you in the athletic department to basically play golf with boosters and raise money.

If you go overseas or to the G league and then wash out as a player you have zero fallback plan. Hopefully you saved and invested properly, but most don't so I wouldn't count on that. You just have so many better fallback options by attending college than not; especially when the money is going to be the same. I would also argue that your personal brand recognition is better going the college route than the G-league or overseas as well if you attend a big time school.
I would think the coaching at a high level NCAA institution is better than the G League. I would also think the "working conditions" of a major college are better than the G League. Except for straight up salary, I can't believe that a major college program isn't better for a prospect than anything the G League has to offer.

I would think the coaching at a high level NCAA institution is better than the G League. I would also think the "working conditions" of a major college are better than the G League. Except for straight up salary, I can't believe that a major college program isn't better for a prospect than anything the G League has to offer.
I don’t know about your assumption regarding G-League coaching. The Toronto Raptor’s head coach is a former G-League head coach. Recently, NBA teams have been placing coaches in the G-League to get them some experience. Also, the G-League Select team will be coached by Brian Shaw. Shaw is a 3 time NBA champion as a player and 2 time NBA champion as an assistant to Phil Jackson. Shaw also was the head coach of the Denver Nuggets a few years ago.
Former G League Coach, Nick Nurse, Named Toronto Raptors Head Coach - NBA G League

Last edited:
I don’t know about your assumption regarding G-League coaching. The Toronto Raptor’s head coach is a former G-League head coach. Recently, NBA teams have been placing coaches in the G-League to get them some experience. Also, the G-League Select team will be coached by Brian Shaw. Shaw is a 3 time NBA champion as a player and 2 time NBA champion as an assistant to Phil Jackson. Shaw also was the head coach of the Denver Nuggets a few years ago.
Former G League Coach, Nick Nurse, Named Toronto Raptors Head Coach - NBA G League
Not bad coaching, but not Rick Barnes, Coach K. Donnie Tyndall level maybe?

Eric Bossi on Rivals said the Vols have made "some positive progress" with Jabari over the last month. Bossi said he was leaning towards Georgia and they along with Auburn an LSU are still in the hunt. He also thinks we still lead with Mutombo over Georgetown with Stanford also in the hunt.

The two guys who are indisputably at the top of the board for Tennessee right now are Jabari Smith and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, that is assuming that Huntley-Hatfield reclassifies into the ’21 class as many expect him to do in the spring. Tennessee is the only school that Smith has officially visited, but unfortunately for the Vols it sounds to us like he is going to wait on a decision due to the ongoing dead period. Georgia will be in the mix along with Auburn and possibly North Carolina, but if this drags out into next spring there’s no telling who could get involved for the nation’s No. 5 overall player.
-vq

I thought UT had cooled off on BHH some due to questions about his motor or attitude. Interesting if true that he is now our focus. I wonder if the V
ols feel better about Jabari or someone else and that is a reason Mutombo seems to be leaning to Georgetown after hearing otherwise just a few days ago.

I thought UT had cooled off on BHH some due to questions about his motor or attitude. Interesting if true that he is now our focus. I wonder if the V
ols feel better about Jabari or someone else and that is a reason Mutombo seems to be leaning to Georgetown after hearing otherwise just a few days ago.
That was Ole Tony Basilio hinting at the Vols backing off BHH

Recruiting is a tough proposition to predict. No one really seems to know, and I suspect these recruits are unsure themselves being commitments haven't been made. I think for the next two seasons, regardless of whether we get another impact commitment or not, we're going to see some mighty good basketball.

I have a subscription and read the article.The writer seems to suggest that Auburn, LSU, and Georgia seem to have a better chance at signing Smith than the Vols. In the comments section a reader questioned the writer’s take on his recruitment, suggesting that the Vols were in a better position than the other teams. The writer responded, saying that he had talked to Smith’s family, his coach, and a top analyst In coming to his conclusions and stood by them.
By the way, a subscription to the “Athletic” is $59.00 a year (about $5.00 a month) and is well worth it. Their writers are the best in the industry.

JD Davidson seems to be hinting at trying to bring Jabari to Auburn with him on Tipton Edits instagram.

“I haven’t been to a lot of the schools that are still recruiting me,” he says. “That part is hard, but I have an idea of what they’re like. My dad tells me what LSU is like, so I have a feel for it. I’m not going to stress on it too much.”

Smith says he doesn’t have a timetable for committing and adds that “if we’re not 1,000 percent sure, we’re not going to rush it.” Given Bruce Pearl’s ability to close and the family connection, Auburn and LSU could be the teams to beat here. Georgia’s Tom Crean has also made Smith a priority for a while now, and Tennessee’s recent recruiting prowess means the Vols can’t be counted out.

“I think he’s the most versatile defender of anybody in the class,” Nickerson says. “I don’t want to name names, but when he’s locked in against other top players, he just destroys them defensively. They have no chance. I also say he has the most beautiful stroke of any kid in the country. He will be an elite shooter.”

Smith views himself as a stretch four but envisions moving to the three. Nickerson plays a position-less style, so Smith has been guarding all five spots. “My advantage right now is at the four,” Smith says. “I can guard them, but they can’t guard me.”
The quarantine period allowed Smith to add muscle to his lanky frame – “he’s just starting to get his grown man strength,” Nickerson says. Smith says he also spent time thinking through the game more and talking about strategy with his father. He was grateful for the rare break. Odds are, Smith will be playing basketball for a very long time.
b.bennett

I'm not going to sweat it yet. Just two weeks ago Mutumbo was Tennessee bound and we had the momentum and were either in the lead or tied for the lead with Smith. Now reports are suggesting it's a longshot with Mutumbo and Tennessee is running 4th for Smith (based on Athletic article).

These things are weird and I don't think anyone truly knows what is going on. Either way, hopefully we are continuing to press on Bediako and Houstan, because it doesn't seem like we're in a comfortable position with anyone else on our board at this moment.

Reactions: Volfan1000
UT is desperate for post help and seem to be loosing ground
Not sure about that. Sounds like we are still in the thick of it with Jabari, BHH, Mutonbo and Bediako. Maybe another name or two we don’t k ow anything about. Lots of moving parts but too early to press the panic button

VN Store

Back