‘21 GA PF Jabari Smith (Auburn commit)

Same could probably be said for GT as well, maybe even more so than UGA, no?
Yes, to an extent, and GT was a nationally relevant for many years in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. NCAAT runner-up in 04, 2 FFs, 3 Elite 8s, 6 S16s, and 15 NCAAT appearances in 25 years. Also won 2 ACC reg season championships and 3 ACCT championships.

They are restricted a bit by their academic requirements, I'd assume, and their current coach is clown shoes. But they have the same kind of resources that UGA does, yet UGA has never sniffed that kind of success or consistency.

Yes, to an extent, and GT was a nationally relevant for many years in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. NCAAT runner-up in 04, 2 FFs, 3 Elite 8s, 6 S16s, and 15 NCAAT appearances in 25 years. Also won 2 ACC reg season championships and 3 ACCT championships.

They are restricted a bit by their academic requirements, I'd assume, and their current coach is clown shoes. But they have the same kind of resources that UGA does, yet UGA has never sniffed that kind of success or consistency.
They had such a quick fall from relevancy. I'm thinking back to that Bosh-era for GT. They had a lot of 1-2 year players that went pro it seemed. However, I was living in GA at the time so maybe it just seemed like that since I was around their fanbase more.

Honestly I think what sets UT up better than some of these other schools to be a “power” in college basketball is the environment. TBA can rival the best of them when it’s rocking. Probably biased but I think it’s one of the best arenas and places to play in college basketball. The setting in there is just different to most places. The dark seats make the court look amazing almost like an NBA arena. UT has great facilities and I think Fulmer sees basketball is a very important sport to us Vol fans.

Honestly I think what sets UT up better than some of these other schools to be a “power” in college basketball is the environment. TBA can rival the best of them when it’s rocking. Probably biased but I think it’s one of the best arenas and places to play in college basketball. The setting in there is just different to most places. The dark seats make the court look amazing almost like an NBA arena. UT has great facilities and I think Fulmer sees basketball is a very important sport to us Vol fans.
I agree. If you like the 7,000-9,000 seat newer venues, then Ole Miss and Auburn have those. But, when TBA has 22,700 strong and we're winning big, we really rock big time. Regardless, we have greater exposure here for athletes than any Auburn or Oxford could ever have.

Reactions: Kingofkodak
I will say, I think getting Mashack and Mutombo in the boat only helps UT’s case with Jabari Smith...you’ll have a Top 6 overall class with the #1 PG in it, a Top 50 SG, and Top 75 center who is from the same area all selling you on joining them to be a part of this class. Meanwhile UGA has no commitments and don’t really appear to be in good shape for anyone in 2021.

I will say, I think getting Mashack and Mutombo in the boat only helps UT’s case with Jabari Smith...you’ll have a Top 6 overall class with the #1 PG in it, a Top 50 SG, and Top 75 center who is from the same area all selling you on joining them to be a part of this class. Meanwhile UGA has no commitments and don’t really appear to be in good shape for anyone in 2021.
And to add to that, it still allows for the possibility of Smith being the centerpiece of the class, if that is something that appeals to him. That wasn't a likely scenario with Banchero in the fold.

My thoughts exactly. Hope it plays out to our advantage!

And to add to that, it still allows for the possibility of Smith being the centerpiece of the class, if that is something that appeals to him. That wasn't a likely scenario with Banchero in the fold.
Very true, meant to add that, or more so the part that he can still walk into a likely starting spot in the front court and see 30mpg, much like he would at UGA.

Very true, meant to add that, or more so the part that he can still walk into a likely starting spot in the front court and see 30mpg, much like he would at UGA.
Yeah, really, the only appeal I can see about Georgia that Tennessee can't offer is the opportunity to represent his home state/being close(r) to home. I'm not sure if either perk is of interest to him, but those are the two things Tennessee can't offer. Meanwhile, Tennessee does offer more exposure by virtue of being a higher profile program, a better coaching staff with a history of developing players in his mold, a better shot at winning at a high level, an elite true PG, and better fan and university support for the program.

To me, that's a no-brainer, but it depends on what appeals to him, I guess.

I think Tennessee should be the obvious choice, for all the reasons you all listed, but recruiting is weird so who knows what he is looking for.

I actually think Auburn could be a bigger threat in this recruitment than Georgia, but I guess we’ll see over the next few months.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I think Tennessee should be the obvious choice, for all the reasons you all listed, but recruiting is weird so who knows what he is looking for.

I actually think Auburn could be a bigger threat in this recruitment than Georgia, but I guess we’ll see over the next few months.
Auburn adds a lot of the same things that we do. Better chance to win, better staff, more exposure. Pearl gets the most out of his kids. They can't match the atmosphere of TBA tho.

Really want this kids and hope we win out.

Nor with Bediako?

Nor with Bediako?

Smith can still be the centerpiece of the class even with Bediako. He's rated far higher. I don't think Bediako really has a bearing on Smith, especially if the staff expects at least two early departures at the end of the season.

Nor with Bediako?
I think Bediako is a little more developmental/raw than Banchero, especially offensively. Plus, he is quite a bit more of a true, or traditional 5 (like Mutombo) than Banchero is. Smith is much more a modern-day stretch 4, so they could both co-exist. In fact, unless you were going to play Banchero at the 3 or Smith at the 5, him and Smith together felt a little redundant, positionally.

I agree especially if Smith believes playing for Bruce will be more "fun" as opposed to CRB who may be perceived as a "tougher" coach both on the court and with what he expects in the weight room (which some of today's kids do not like/want - not saying Smith is one of those kids).

I agree especially if Smith believes playing for Bruce will be more "fun" as opposed to CRB who may be perceived as a "tougher" coach both on the court and with what he expects in the weight room (which some of today's kids do not like/want - not saying Smith is one of those kids).
Like you’re saying, CRB’s reputation is well-known now. Either you want to come and get coached hard and improve or you don’t want to get coached hard or as hard. CRB is comfortable with who he is and his abilities and the recruits that will respond to that are the ones he wants and he doesn’t give a rip about the others.

If CRB is still recruiting Smith, he must be a guy that CRB thinks will respond well to what CRB and the UT program offer.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
We Really Need JS In Orange! Barnes will certainly Improve his game. Kids know when a Coach/School signs big time players and We Need Two Bigs In 21. JMO... GBO!

Reactions: headhunter15

VN Store

Back