‘21 GA PF Jabari Smith (Auburn commit)

I don’t think Smith would necessarily bring something an elite transfer like say Kerry Blackshear...again not saying I prefer that route, simply stating I don’t think missing on Smith would be cause for any sort of definitive claim as you’ve suggested.

Fair enough. Elite transfers are a dime a dozen as well though. Again, I'll just reiterate that I do not think my perception of this class will be negative if we miss on Smith. I already consider this class a huge success with snagging Chandler. I think from here on out what I'm more interested in is who I think can change expectations for the 2021 season. I think guys like Etienne will be wonderful 3-4 year players who will over time be something special, but we're probably getting one year of Chandler and I think expectations will be different if he has another lottery pick level talent like Jabari Smith. That's all.

In all reality, what did Blackshear really do that tremendously improved Florida? I think the Mike White experiment failed him.
He put up 12.8ppg 7.5rpg, I would venture to guess UF would’ve had a few more losses if they didn’t have KB...not sure anyone disagrees that White didn’t improve KB, but that doesn’t mean KB didn’t improve UF. The point being, I doubt Jabari Smith would come in here and as a freshman put up better than 28mpg 12.8ppg 7.5rpg.

He put up 12.8ppg 7.5rpg, I would venture to guess UF would’ve had a few more losses if they didn’t have KB...not sure anyone disagrees that White didn’t improve KB, but that doesn’t mean KB didn’t improve UF. The point being, I doubt Jabari Smith would come in here and as a freshman put up better than 28mpg 12.8ppg 7.5rpg.
So improvement, some. Big difference, no.

Not sure I would call a Top 25 talent raw, when I hear raw I think Kyle Alexander...with that said, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the staff once again look at transfer big men next season. Also worth noting, if CBB gets impacted and NCAA does what they did with football it’s very likely Fulk could come back for another year, lots of uncertainty.
Not to get ahead of myself but Belmont has a rising Jr Center who is an excellent player. Lipscomb too.

UT really needs to get this kid, imo. Three big reasons:

1. If Georgia gets him, Crean will be well on his way to making UGA a threat, plus UT will have to play against him, at least once a year

2. Same thing if Pearl and Auburn gets him, but they are already a threat and Cardwell and Smith down low would be a big problem, imo

3. UT will lose their projected top 3 post players, Fulk, Pons and Anosike, next year

Let me add a 4th reason, I really, really, really want to see Smith in Pantone 151, dunking on fools in TBA

1. If Georgia gets him, Crean will be well on his way to making UGA a threat, plus UT will have to play against him, at least once a year

2. Same thing if Pearl and Auburn gets him, but they are already a threat and Cardwell and Smith down low would be a big problem, imo

3. UT will lose their projected top 3 post players, Fulk, Pons and Anosike, next year

Let me add a 4th reason, I really, really, really want to see Smith in Pantone 151, dunking on fools in TBA

The only one of those reasons that really matters is #3. We need big men and he would fit in immediately. Crean had Anthony Edwards this past year and was a 16-16 team. Jabari Smith Jr. is a one-and-done player, especially if he goes to Georgia. That team is so young they will not be any good while he is there.

Also, Auburn is already a threat and will continue to pull top talent as long as Pearl is there. I don't want to see them get Smith Jr. but if they don't get him it will be someone else. They're going to be a constant threat just like Kentucky.

1. Crean had the likely #1 pick in this years draft, and a 2nd player expected to be drafted and couldn’t put together a squad that could finish outside the bottom 2 in the SEC...I’m not really worried about what UGA would be with Smith lol.

Georgia is a potential basketball power, if they get the right coach, imo. I think Crean is a good coach, but so far, he has been disappointing at Georgia. I don't want them landing Smith to change that, just saying

Edwards didn’t change it, I doubt Smith would.
Well, like my one friend that is a Gators' fan said to me, in the 90s, "eventually, they are going to get it right in Athens". He was talking about football, but he was right, they did, eventually get football right in Athens. Hope they never do in basketball, but Smith would definitely help get 'em started in the right direction

Georgia is not a potential power in basketball. Not to relitigate a conversation had in another thread but their ceiling is like a pretty solid team making semi-frequent NCAA tourney appearances and occasionally contending for an SEC title.

To me a power is someone like a Duke or Kentucky, that will not be Georgia.

Georgia is not a potential power in basketball. Not to relitigate a conversation had in another thread but their ceiling is like a pretty solid team making semi-frequent NCAA tourney appearances and occasionally contending for an SEC title.

To me a power is someone like a Duke or Kentucky, that will not be Georgia.
Agree, kinda. I think Crean is a good enough coach to make a run, until he gets a better job. But, that recruiting ground, around Atlanta is very fertile. Let 'em get hot and u never know, every Top 100 player in state may wanna go there. Let's just say, I prefer Smith at UT or any where else (Duke, UNC, even UK) besides Georgia and Auburn. U all know what I think about Pearl, anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
No or I've haven't heard anything and I read everything in this forum. Maybe people with a VQ subscription know something, but they usually re-post it, on VN

Georgia is a potential basketball power, if they get the right coach, imo. I think Crean is a good coach, but so far, he has been disappointing at Georgia. I don't want them landing Smith to change that, just saying
I feel like we've heard this for years.

VN Store

Back