‘21 GA C Ryan Mutombo

Ryan Mutombo’s recruitment surged earlier this year as film from his junior season at The Lovett School trickled out to college coaches during the shutdown. As he enters his senior year of high school, the Georgia native has his eyes set on four schools: Georgetown, Georgia, Stanford and Tennessee. However, he is still talking to other schools and is open to entertaining new schools that come into the picture.
Georgetown: “I would have the chance to come in my freshman year and be the main guy. I feel like in a conference like the Big East I would really be able to showcase my talent.”
Georgia: “I just love Coach Crean. I love his mentality and I think he is sort of the living vision of discipline and hard work. He’s coached guys like Dwyane Wade and Nicolas Claxton that even though they weren’t super highly ranked guys they became great players. I love what he did with Nicolas Claxton his sophomore year.”
Stanford: “It’s a great school and another school where I would have a guy like Isael Silva and be a part of a good team. I feel like we would be a really good duo. That’s definitely another great option I have.”
Tennessee: “I just love the winning culture they have there. Kennedy Chandler is a guy I’ve been talking to for a little while now and he’s a really good guy and I know he’s a point guard that could get me the ball a lot. I know Jahmai Mashack just committed there and Jabari Smith is another I’ve talked to that might go there.”
Georgetown has had momentum at various points in his recruitment and is the one school he’s taken an official visit to already. Tennessee has come on strong recently as he’s started to build a relationship with two of the Volunteers’ commitments in the 2021 class and other targets. Georgia being located so close to home and his relationship with Crean could keep Georgia in play, while Stanford’s academic reputation and playing Silva will make the Cardinal a factor. Mutombo’s initial plan was to have his commitment out of the way before the early signing period concluded, but he’s not as set on that plan any longer. There is a chance he could take his recruitment into the spring.
-Rivals

Last edited:
I had the impression an announcement was expected this past weekend. Any hints as to when he may choose?

Personally not a huge fan of his game for today’s basketball. Not the type of big you really want in today’s game with bigs having to switch and cover guards so often, which he won’t be able to do. Not a good enough shooter to space or spread the floor. Would seem to be a good zone 5 man which we’ve been played a good bit the last few seasons. However we desperately need a big for this class and Barnes has an excellent track record of developing big men

Personally not a huge fan of his game for today’s basketball. Not the type of big you really want in today’s game with bigs having to switch and cover guards so often, which he won’t be able to do. Not a good enough shooter to space or spread the floor. Would seem to be a good zone 5 man which we’ve been played a good bit the last few seasons. However we desperately need a big for this class and Barnes has an excellent track record of developing big men
Alexander didn’t have much offensive game outside of 7-8 feel either, but he was a pretty big part of our success throughout his entire tenure.

Alexander didn’t have much offensive game outside of 7-8 feel either, but he was a pretty big part of our success throughout his entire tenure.
If I'm remembering correctly, Alexander had only played two years of organized basketball prior to his arrival in Knoxville. He lacked in some areas fundamentally and his hands were a big weakness early on, as was his decision making. I think by his junior year his athleticism was evident and a strong point to his game. If that kid had played and come up through the system, he would have been a flat out star.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I agree that it his game seems to have some limitations. But I still think there is a place for more traditional 7 footers especially in college. Some of it may depend on matchups and situations but a good rim protector can still impact a game. And it looks like he can hit 15 footers in addition to dunking which might be all he needs to do given the players around him.

Not necessarily. A lot of teams are working on the premise of 4 quality perimeter defenders and 1 big (think: Utah Jazz). It can work if schemed properly.

I agree that it his game seems to have some limitations. But I still think there is a place for more traditional 7 footers especially in college. Some of it may depend on matchups and situations but a good rim protector can still impact a game. And it looks like he can hit 15 footers in addition to dunking which might be all he needs to do given the players around him.

I think this is the future of the game for big men. There is just not much place for a simple rim protector, unless he can really run the floor.

I think one question that I haven't seen yet when trying to compare him to Kyle Alexander is speed and quickness. I am not sure they are similar athletes. KA was better suited to be able to hard hedge or switch because he had good speed and quickness for a 7 footer. I also think KA was a quicker leaper. I think offensively Mutumbo is certainly ahead of where KA was as a senior in high school.

VN Store

Back