‘21 France SG Quentin Diboundje Eyobo

I assume he's getting compared to Yves because both are from France? Seem very different players otherwise. A little concerned that his coach was slightly critical of his 3 point shot which is what I hope he brings to the team as a primary threat. I know he shot 42 percent but find it odd that the coach specifically too time to say he needs work there.

I assume he's getting compared to Yves because both are from France? Seem very different players otherwise. A little concerned that his coach was slightly critical of his 3 point shot which is what I hope he brings to the team as a primary threat. I know he shot 42 percent but find it odd that the coach specifically too time to say he needs work there.
Both guys were 6-6 coming out. Pons was maybe 10 pounds heavier. Both really good defenders and extremely athletic. Diboundje seems to be much more skilled offensively at the same stage.

Not sure why the coach is critiquing his jumper. It looks very fluid and mechanically sound, to me.

Both guys were 6-6 coming out. Pons was maybe 10 pounds heavier. Both really good defenders and extremely athletic. Diboundje seems to be much more skilled offensively at the same stage.

Not sure why the coach is critiquing his jumper. It looks very fluid and mechanically sound, to me.

It's because of the low release point. He pushes from the chest, so it's not possible for him to shoot in traffic and it's possible to defend him without extending to the line.

Speaking of shot blockers, I’ve just realized we have had some really good ones the last few years with KA and Pons. Curious to see who takes on the tradition
Pons prob developed shot blocking, along with his three oclock shadow, in little league.

It's because of the low release point. He pushes from the chest, so it's not possible for him to shoot in traffic and it's possible to defend him without extending to the line.
I actually thought of that as a possibility after I posted it, continuing to wonder what coach was referring to.

You’ve got to be very careful with that. Messing with someone’s shot like that can kill their confidence

I don't know what the philosophy is now though in the past coaches have been reluctant to change a shooter's technique too much if they are shooting effectively. In recent years with more players being expected to do more shooting on the perimeter you've seen players like Kawhi Leonard, Brook Lopez, and Grant Williams greatly improve their jump shot accuracy and reliability.

Comparing Pons and Diboundje both from France and both are 6'6". Pons is a much better jumper and shot blocker while Diboundje seems to have better guard skills [handling the ball and maybe shooting]. Diboundje seems to want to go for the steal instead of block shoots which is fine. I hope we get as much [or more] production from Diboundje as we did from Pons.

French import Quinten Diboundje Eyobo has a chance to make some coaches look pretty smart if he lands on the D-I level and continues to develop. Eyobo has solid length, scores at all three levels and handles the ball pretty well for a prospect that hasn’t been playing the game as long as some other prospects. We made him a three-star outside the Rivals150 after seeing him take over a game against a loaded Link Year Prep team earlier this year, and that may still be a bit too low.

- Rivals

I’d never heard Quintin Diboundje Eyobo’s name before I watched him systematically dissect a talented Link Year Prep squad at a tournament at IMG Academy a couple months back. After the 25-points performance, which the newest Volunteer capped with the game-sealing rebound, Eyobo held a George Washington offer but said he was hoping to land an offer from Tennessee.

Well, the offer eventually arrived and the three-star prospect didn’t waste time jumping on it. Eyobo has the talent to make a difference in the SEC, as he shoots the ball incredibly well but also can create his own shot and score at the rack. Eyobo is celebrated for his efficient long-range shooting but he’s a much better athlete than he sometimes gets credit for being and has the length to become an elite defender. He’ll likely slide into the back end of the Rivals150 when the rankings get their final refresh next month.

Rick Barnes has himself a diamond in the rough here, as the French import has played just one season of American basketball after arriving at Montverde from Montpellier prior to the season. The fact that he spent the year playing a shortened season for Montverde prep team that doesn’t get the same exposure or national attention as the program’s renowned high school squad helped keep Eyobo a secret, despite leading the team in scoring for most of the year. The Florida-based prospect seems to be pandemic-related steal, as it seems unlikely that many high-major coaches had the opportunity to see him play.

Basketball Recruiting - Florida Man: Vols land a steal in Quentin Diboundje Eyobo

"After the 25-points performance, which the newest Volunteer capped with the game-sealing rebound, Eyobo held a George Washington offer but said he was hoping to land an offer from Tennessee."

You love to see it. This is the type of recruit I want. I'm still a bit cautious after some of our last projects, but I am way more excited about his long term potential than I am Tamba. And, the fact he can redshirt this year and spend more time improving is going to really nice for him long term.

"After the 25-points performance, which the newest Volunteer capped with the game-sealing rebound, Eyobo held a George Washington offer but said he was hoping to land an offer from Tennessee."

You love to see it. This is the type of recruit I want. I'm still a bit cautious after some of our last projects, but I am way more excited about his long term potential than I am Tamba. And, the fact he can redshirt this year and spend more time improving is going to really nice for him long term.
He's at least a far better prospect than Gaines was, who he is more or less directly replacing. Already has a significantly better frame, way better shooter, should be a very good defender as well. I imagine he might get spot minutes next year, but I certainly see the reason to redshirt him.

Dunks are all fine and well, but in all honesty, we need shooters and bigs. Another skinny athletic type that's going to take 2-3 years to develop? I'm hoping we can find more needed and immediate help. No offense to the kid.

Looks like he shoots the 3 well.

I have to admit I was skeptical of the signing as I thought he and Mashack were a bit redundant but after watching 3 or 4 of his games on YouTube I see why the staff wanted him. Very good size for a 2/3, they often have him defending the other teams best perimeter player, even PGs. Very capable 3 point shooter, even better than I was expecting. Extremely athletic, seems like he tries for at least one poster dunk a game, solid handles and gets to the rim and finishes efficiently. Has a really smooth offensive game that i think will translate well and just a really well rounded game on both ends. I think he’ll be a really good player for us.

Some game film here if anyone’s interested, he’s #24.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Montverde+pg&sp=EgQIBRAB

I have to admit I was skeptical of the signing as I thought he and Mashack were a bit redundant but after watching 3 or 4 of his games on YouTube I see why the staff wanted him. Very good size for a 2/3, they often have him defending the other teams best perimeter player, even PGs. Very capable 3 point shooter, even better than I was expecting. Extremely athletic, seems like he tries for at least one poster dunk a game, solid handles and gets to the rim and finishes efficiently. Has a really smooth offensive game that i think will translate well and just a really well rounded game on both ends. I think he’ll be a really good player for us.

Some game film here if anyone’s interested, he’s #24.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Montverde+pg&sp=EgQIBRAB
He seems like a rich man’s Davonte Gaines.

He seems like a rich man’s Davonte Gaines.

Much more solid outside shooter with a far better body and frame already. Really ideal size for a 2/3. Looks to be a solid 6’6 and not scrawny at all, built similarly to JJJ imo. Will be interesting who gets more minutes next year between him and Mashack.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Much more solid outside shooter with a far better body and frame already. Really ideal size for a 2/3. Looks to be a solid 6’6 and not scrawny at all, built similarly to JJJ imo. Will be interesting who gets more minutes next year between him and Mashack.
Yeah, the increased offensive ability and bulkier frame are what makes him the rich man’s version of Gaines, or makes Gaines a poor man’s version of Diboundje. I also hope he takes the court with more confidence and awareness than Gaines did. I loved Gaines scrappy nature and hustle, but offensively, he looked about as tentative as I would joining a pickup game with the 96 Chicago Bulls.

QD and Mashack are very redundant as players, IMO, and Diboundje is much more of an unknown. Who gets more time will be interesting. Mashack has the bigger pedigree and reputation, but Diboundje is a bit of a mystery.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Yeah, the increased offensive ability and bulkier frame are what makes him the rich man’s version of Gaines, or makes Gaines a poor man’s version of Diboundje. I also hope he takes the court with more confidence and awareness than Gaines did. I loved Gaines scrappy nature and hustle, but offensively, he looked about as tentative as I would joining a pickup game with the 96 Chicago Bulls.

QD and Mashack are very redundant as players, IMO, and Diboundje is much more of an unknown. Who gets more time will be interesting. Mashack has the bigger pedigree and reputation, but Diboundje is a bit of a mystery.

I think QDE is a little better offensively, particularly outside shooting wise, right now than Mashack and Mashack is a better defender right now. Think QDE has a little better size too, he’s seems to me to be a legit 6’6 and think Mashack is closer to 6’4

VN Store

Back