‘21 CA SG Jahmai Mashack [UT commit 9/8/20]

I think he is our next commitment. When? Who knows. But it feels like we’ve been trending for awhile.

Hopefully with his addition our class will look even more attractive and we can start pressing for some big men like Smith, Bediako, Houstan, etc.

Reactions: berryvol
Just watched him guard Evan Mobley a 5 star 7 seven footer in the class of 2020 on youtube. He out played him. Great Defender! Strong and quick. He has that want to about him that Coach Barnes loves. Would love to see him in this class.

I watched beginning and end of the above video. He looks solid in all areas of his game. I didn't see him make any mistakes, and looked like he was filling up the stat sheet across the board.

Any chance he gets a bump to 5* on any of the sites? Seems like lots of insiders saying he has five star talent and is vastly underrated.

I think Mashack is too raw offensively to be a 5 star. Great athlete and defensive player, but needs to really work on his offensive game, imo. Of course, that game video is the only one I've seen, so I may be wrong.

Reactions: Lefteye
I think Mashack is too raw offensively to be a 5 star. Great athlete and defensive player, but needs to really work on his offensive game, imo. Of course, that game video is the only one I've seen, so I may be wrong.
With so little footage on Mashack, it's hard to tell, but there is another guy out there that was known as a great defender and was thought to be a little raw offensively, particularly from the perimeter. Was also similarly ranked coming out of his junior season of high school. This player had the benefit of an AAU season, and really stood out at the USA Basketball camp, eventually winning MVP. He translated that AAU season and camp performance into a 5* rating. His name is Keon Johnson, and the two players seem quite similar to me. KJ is more athletic, I'd bet, but Mashack may have a better perimeter game at the same stage.

247 compares him to Xavier Sneed who mostly played PF for Kansas St. seems odd. Is he more of a forward than a SG?

On the recruiting front there’s growing buzz out there that Tennessee is surging for four-star shooting guard Jahmai Mashack from California, the No. 48 ranked player in the 2021 class. It seems odd on the surface, that the Vols could pull a player from the West Coast during a dead period that will likely prevent visits from taking place before the early signing period in November.
Assistant coach Mike Schwartz, who is from California himself, has done a great job done a great job here and Mashack has family in Tennessee, which helps the Vols’ cause. If the Vols can add a shooting guard of his caliber to play alongside Kennedy Chandler, suffice it to say the backcourt could be strong next season regardless of whether or not Johnson and/or Springer are one-and-done players.
-vq

If Mashack comes here we really need a couple of guys to turn pro early or there is no way to keep everyone happy in that crowded backcourt. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. What if they do cancel the season and everyone comes back?

If Mashack comes here we really need a couple of guys to turn pro early or there is no way to keep everyone happy in that crowded backcourt. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. What if they do cancel the season and everyone comes back?

Chandler/Bailey
Springer/Vescovi
Johnson/Mashack/Gaines
James/Walker/Pember
Uros/ORN

Zero chance that comes to fruition, but if it did I would just play small and fast, a lot of James at the 4, and even Walker at the 5.

VN Store

Back