‘20 NC SG Jaden Springer (UT commit 10/23/19)

I have told colleagues here in Memphis that the 2020 game in Nashville could be really fun.

I still think this year’s game in Knox is intriguing. Memphis will be stacked but they’ll be inexperienced and playing in their first tough road game. It’ll be more competitive than people believe.

Not to get too far off topic. :)

I still think this year’s game in Knox is intriguing. Memphis will be stacked but they’ll be inexperienced and playing in their first tough road game. It’ll be more competitive than people believe.

I agree, and while everything will probably be resolved, Memphis’ trip to the Bahamas isn’t quite going as planned. Achiewa with visa issues and Wiseman has a hurt shoulder.

My money is on Tennessee, despite my bias. It'll be like killer bees. They won't know what hit em. Same as Bearden did to Memphis East.

A stacked Memphis team full of piss and vinegar against a rebuilding Tennessee team.

Im certain that Barnes can coach circles around Penny but talent will overcome X's and O's most of the time.

What was it Phil Fulmer said?

"Its not about the X's and O's its about the Jimmy's and Joe's."

I dont want to be negative about this team. I just think sometimes we let our hopes and wishes overcome logic and logic says this will be a rebuilding year.

Reactions: SlyStone
Fwiw Eric Bossi (Rivals national guy) says that he was told recently that nobody from UNC has spoken with either of Springer’s parents, and added that he doesn’t think UNC is a player for Springer.
I think Memphis is perhaps our biggest threat with Florida lurking in the weeds.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Tennessee is all in on 5-star guard Jaden Springer, the next priority target in 2020. As of now, Springer will likely make his official visit to Knoxville the weekend of the Georgia game and it’s likely that Johnson (and possibly Walker) will be in town that week as well. Johnson and Springer have been talking frequently from what we’ve picked up lately and it seems like the possibility of them playing together is very real. Don’t count this one as done yet, it could still take a few twists and turns before it’s over to be sure, but the possibility of Tennessee signing three 5-stars in this class is a real possibility.
-VQ

Man I got goosebumps reading that last sentence. Hey thanks for always posting these MoB
giphy.gif

Are Keon, Springer, and JJ James somewhat similar on the offensive end? Which is closest to a conventional PG? Which has a game most resembling a Magic Johnson type of offensive skill set (drive and dish, post up, run the floor, no look passes... not necessarily a lights out shooter)?

Fwiw Eric Bossi (Rivals national guy) says that he was told recently that nobody from UNC has spoken with either of Springer’s parents, and added that he doesn’t think UNC is a player for Springer.

I wonder for which reason they’d ignore such a highly rated player from their own back yard? Arrogance, ignorance or indifference.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I wonder for which reason they’d ignore such a highly rated player from their own back yard? Arrogance, ignorance or indifference.
He's the only SG they've offered in the 2020 class, too, so maybe they just don't have a need at that position? I don't know, they've offered several combo guards, so maybe they do.

Are Keon, Springer, and JJ James somewhat similar on the offensive end? Which is closest to a conventional PG? Which has a game most resembling a Magic Johnson type of offensive skill set (drive and dish, post up, run the floor, no look passes... not necessarily a lights out shooter)?

Springer is the only one that you’ll likely see as a conventional PG, however he’s even more a 2 than a 1. Johnson is a 2/3 (pretty interchangeable is Barnes scheme), and Walker is 3-5 depending on matchup.

Other than that they seem to have some other guys higher on their board I’m not sure...Springer has played a lot of his ball outside the state of N.C., they were a bit late offering so maybe there just isn’t a ton of mutual interest, idk.

He's the only SG they've offered in the 2020 class, too, so maybe they just don't have a need at that position? I don't know, they've offered several combo guards, so maybe they do.
Steward and Thompson are both SG’s, Thompson seems to be the guy they really like...and there’s a family connection to the UNC staff with his father so that could play a role.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
James and Springer are more similar than Johnson. Johnson is as close to a Josh Richardson clone as we've had. JRich played PG as a SR out of desperation, but it took quite a bit of development over 3 years. Johnson could develop at a similar pace and perhaps work his way into that ability, though we hope it never comes to that, and I doubt Johnson is around for 4 years.

Both Springer and James are good at getting to the basket. Both are capable shooters, though Springer is probably the better of the two. Both can and will play PG at times and not look out of position. James can probably play 1-3. Springer, more of a 1-2 guy.

VN Store

Back