‘20 NC SG Jaden Springer (UT commit 10/23/19)

Having a list of 11 schools six months before an optional signing day doesn't seem ridiculous.
Teasing an announcement of an announcement that you’ll be “trimming” your list to 11 schools seems a little dramatic, to me. It doesn’t make Springer a bad kid, or even much different than other kids his age.

I thought he was more of a combo guard?
That’s probably what he should be listed as, but he’s a ball dominant guard as well and an absolute star defensively...obviously not on the same level but think D Wade, probably a little better off the ball, but also going to be handling the ball a ton.

Supposedly that’s what Tennessee is recruiting him as...can’t speak on the other schools but at the very least he’s a 1/2, so UNC offering any guards imo is at least somewhat a reflection.
Okay. I may be confusing you with someone else, but I thought you were adamant, at one point, that he was not a PG.

I once believed we were recruiting him as a SG, Johnson as a SF, and Walker as a PF (point forward in the mood of a Tyler Smith). At that time, I believed Jalen Cone would be our PG for this class. Obviously a lot has changed. Cone reclassed, Johnson has improved his skills as a SG which will allow him to play SG and SF, similar to Bowden, and Springer has seemed to shift more towards our PG target, which I’m fine with. He plays a lot of PG in AAU.

Okay. I may be confusing you with someone else, but I thought you were adamant, at one point, that he was not a PG.

I once believed we were recruiting him as a SG, Johnson as a SF, and Walker as a PF (point forward in the mood of a Tyler Smith). At that time, I believed Jalen Cone would be our PG for this class. Obviously a lot has changed. Cone reclassed, Johnson has improved his skills as a SG which will allow him to play SG and SF, similar to Bowden, and Springer has seemed to shift more towards our PG target, which I’m fine with. He plays a lot of PG in AAU.
I don’t remember being adamant that he couldn’t play PG, I know I’ve said that about Johnson but don’t recall that on Springer, but maybe at one point I did.

I think landing Bailey who they are trying to mold into a PG has a little effect there, and then from a sheer numbers standpoint if you land Walker, Johnson and Springer you’ve got to go big at that point I would think. I’m sure if they miss on Springer you’ll see them go a more traditional PG option, but you can’t turn away Springer, and at the same time our best PG options probably aren’t deciding until next spring anyhow.

Yea he argued that he wasn’t being recruited as a Pg with me

Reactions: sport3500
Yea he argued that he wasn’t being recruited as a Pg with me
That’s what I vaguely remember. I thought I remembered it being a conversation between the two of you.

At the time, I think it was likely we weren’t necessarily recruiting him as a PG, exclusively, but as time has passed and Cone reclassified and chose VT, I think we may have reshuffled the deck and began selling him on the idea of running point. Johnson’s improved shooting has likely aided in that idea.

Hell, he can play 1, 2, or 3. Don't care as long as we get him. Then again...fantasy.

Fantasy:
imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained.
to form mental images; imagine; fantasize.

He named a Top 5 which included Tennessee, and he took 2 OV’s as a junior, 1 to Tennessee and the other to Auburn who didn’t make his list. He’s played for Bobby Maze’s AAU team the last 3-4 years and has been on Tennessee’s campus multiple times...not saying he’s coming here but definitely wouldn’t consider it a fantasy.

He named a Top 5 which included Tennessee, and he took 2 OV’s as a junior, 1 to Tennessee and the other to Auburn who didn’t make his list. He’s played for Bobby Maze’s AAU team the last 3-4 years and has been on Tennessee’s campus multiple times...not saying he’s coming here but definitely wouldn’t consider it a fantasy.
I've tried. You'll not convince him. Some people simply believe it's easier to handle disappointment if you never expected success.

I've tried. You'll not convince him. Some people simply believe it's easier to handle disappointment if you never expected success.
And I get that, but just not sure how it applies here...that’s like saying Kevon Looney or Austin Nichols were fantasy guys, or for that matter Corey Walker or Josiah James? I get being hesitant, but I don’t think anyone can deny that at the very least we are in contention.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back