‘20 NC PG Jalen Cone

If Grant is a lottery pick, I believe he would be crazy to come back for his senior year. Way too much money on the line. I also think Bone is gone even if he's not drafted. He believes he's the best point guard in the draft even if the experts don't.
Lottery?
Grant isn’t a lottery pick in ANY draft board. He may be a first round but he isn’t a lottery pick. I don’t think you know how the lottery works.

Agree with both.
I think Bone May be one of the best point guards in the draft; however the NBA rewards athleticism.....and as much as I like Bone he isn’t even close to the most athletic.
He’s not even close to the top. He isn’t in any draft boards and would have to have a hell of a combine.

He’s not even close to the top. He isn’t in any draft boards and would have to have a hell of a combine.

Agree he isn’t but I think a lot of that comes from his athleticism. He can shoot, he makes good decisions, he does not turn it over a lot, he isn’t short, and he handles the ball well anywhere on the floor.

I think Bone is one of the better “point guards” in the draft; however he lacks the athleticism and upside as many others. Because of that he is not one of the top draftable point guards.

Just my opinion.

To say Bone lacks athleticism seems WAY off to me. He's fast as hell and he can jump out of the gym. He also has a first step that is elite which means his quickness is off the charts. No idea why anyone would question his athleticism.

Not saying he doesn’t have speed. Watch him and 🦊 drive, Bone is certainly fast when he needs to be and is very precise, 🦊 is athletic (as are those who will be drafted high)......at least to me.

Tre Jones and Cassius winston Coming back makes me think grant may follow their lead.

Hope your right.

However I think Jones needed another year. Not sure Grant “needs” it. Not saying Grant can’t improve or that he is like a lottery pick now. Just hard (for me) to say he can improve his stock as he has been back to back sec player of the year, was a finalist for player of the year, and had the second most all American votes. If he could improve to a 40% 3 shooter and shoots it much more, maybe........but that prob isn’t happening.

Agree with both.
I think Bone May be one of the best point guards in the draft; however the NBA rewards athleticism.....and as much as I like Bone he isn’t even close to the most athletic.
Not sure how you quantify “athleticism”, but Bone is dang fast and can jump quickly and high.

Not sure how you quantify “athleticism”, but Bone is dang fast and can jump quickly and high.

Bone is certainly fast on the floor, he is strong, he can jump, he is athletic. However I feel there are others that can do those things better. There are better “athletes.”

Bone has skill, he can shoot, he can handle the ball well, he makes good decisions. I think Bone does those thing better than a lot of others in the draft.

If the first is true (can’t say as that is merely my opinion), then Bones upside is not as high. Those players who may not have achieved the skillset Bone has or level Bone has.......can over time. It will be harder for Bone to jump higher, stay in the air longer, run faster, ect.

I understand your opinion, but I Wish I had a dollar for every time Jimmy Dikes said Bone was the fastest point guard in the nation. I don’t know how to compare these players and maybe Jimmy doesn’t know either?

Reactions: ttatj
I understand your opinion, but I Wish I had a dollar for every time Jimmy Dikes said Bone was the fastest point guard in the nation. I don’t know how to compare these players and maybe Jimmy doesn’t know either?

Well we can’t put too much stock announcers say. Every team in the country has someone on their team an announcer will compare to an NBA hall of famer.

Bone is fast and precise with his speed. For me I compare Bone with the guy from LSU. Bone looks more in control, he looks more polished. The guy from LSU sometimes looks out of control; however he will make some crazy athletic plays. While that guy is more raw he is also more athletic and has more upside.

Really hard to know unless we had all the guys “athletic” stats. But later we can see Bones compared to others and get a sense if he is as “athletic” as several of the other guys. And that may reveal I am way off.

Well we can’t put too much stock announcers say. Every team in the country has someone on their team an announcer will compare to an NBA hall of famer.

Bone is fast and precise with his speed. For me I compare Bone with the guy from LSU. Bone looks more in control, he looks more polished. The guy from LSU sometimes looks out of control; however he will make some crazy athletic plays. While that guy is more raw he is also more athletic and has more upside.

Really hard to know unless we had all the guys “athletic” stats. But later we can see Bones compared to others and get a sense if he is as “athletic” as several of the other guys. And that may reveal I am way off.

Exactly why I said Barnes system isn't the best way to showcase great PG individual skill. Think about how many times Bone would think better of the dribble drive when it wasn't perfect. He played so under control it hurts many people's thinking of his athleticism.

I posted ealier that obviously Bone isn't as good as Morant but I bet if Bone played at Murray and he played for Barnes the gap would appear much smaller than it does now

Exactly why I said Barnes system isn't the best way to showcase great PG individual skill. Think about how many times Bone would think better of the dribble drive when it wasn't perfect. He played so under control it hurts many people's thinking of his athleticism.

I posted ealier that obviously Bone isn't as good as Morant but I bet if Bone played at Murray and he played for Barnes the gap would appear much smaller than it does now
Yes, Waters had much more freedom to be out of control at LSU than Bone did at Tennessee, and Tennessee as a team was better for it. Waters makes the highlight reel plays, but they come at the expense of some head-scratching turnovers quite often.

From my perspective, Waters sub 6’ height along with his slight build makes him a less desirable NBA prospect vs Bone. Also, I think Waters is slower and not as good of a jumper vs Bone. Waters is a bit like GW , a great college player but their size at their position are outside the NBA norms

Reactions: i2amavol
Yes, Waters had much more freedom to be out of control at LSU than Bone did at Tennessee, and Tennessee as a team was better for it. Waters makes the highlight reel plays, but they come at the expense of some head-scratching turnovers quite often.

Completely agree

From my perspective, Waters sub 6’ height along with his slight build makes him a less desirable NBA prospect vs Bone. Also, I think Waters is slower and not as good of a jumper vs Bone. Waters is a bit like GW , a great college player but their size at their position are outside the NBA norms

I wasn’t really saying I thought Waters would go real high in the draft. Using him to show: his athleticism vs Bone’s developed skill set.

Bone is the fastest player in the draft hands down, Coby White is the only person I think that even gives him a run for his money. He also has over a 40 inch vertical. Athleticism has never been the question. His skill game still needs to make some progress. His handle is good, but he needs to show he can consistently beat people off the dribble. His shooting/ shooting form is the biggest question mark. It is fair to question whether or not his form will ever lead to being a consistent 3 point shooter, especially from NBA range. Ish Smith is his best comp, but I think he could be better than that as well.

Reactions: scvolfan7
You know this as a fact or it’s your opinion / observation? Not disputing it, just curious how you know it to be a fact
Observation for sure, but just watch him play. I've heard a dozen or more analysts say he is easily one of the fastest players in the nation for the last 2-3 years. Speed doesn't always translate to playing speed, but I think it does for him. That's to say, just because you possess speed doesn't mean you cab use it on the court. I think he can and does do that very well.

Another knock on him though is finishing in traffic while driving to the rim. For some reason he holds on to the ball for a very long time when going for a layup allowing shot blocks more time to block his shot.

Another knock on him though is finishing in traffic while driving to the rim. For some reason he holds on to the ball for a very long time when going for a layup allowing shot blocks more time to block his shot.

I'd argue that issues was laid to rest this year. He improved his 2pt FG% significantly this season

Reactions: walkenvol
Yeah I was a little confused by the poster saying Bone was "less athletic but more skilled." I think it is the opposite actually. If you take every player between 6'2-6'4 in this draft and rate them solely on athleticism and Bone is near the top of the list. He has elite speed and quickness for his size. He is not a quick leaper but his vertical is strong. Strength is probably the weakest part of his athletic ability but even it is not bad.

His biggest weakness compared to his peers comes in his skill set. Ball handling is good but not elite. He rarely turns the ball over because in our system (and years of Barnes coaching) make him a very risk adverse player. He picks his spots very judicially to be a play-maker. His passing ability is decent but not great. His court vision is also not elite. Not saying those things will keep him from being an NBA PG but they are certainly unknowns at this point because of our system and what he was asked to do. He is not a creative finisher when attacking the basket. With his size and athleticism he could be much better. And his shooting is below average. It has improved since he got here. But it is not smooth and has a terrible trajectory. I would say there are definite question marks as to whether he is anything close to a competent NBA-range 3pt shooter at this time. And defense is a skill. That is his weakest skill right now. He is bigger, longer, faster, and quicker than Turner but unlike Turner he never "made anything happen" on defense. Just played very safe defense with little-to-no intensity. He has tremendous growth potential defensively.

All that to say, he has tremendous speed and athleticism for his size. If he can improve his skills he can play in the NBA. And if not, there is no question he can make good money playing the game of basketball somewhere.

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back