‘20 NC PG Jalen Cone

Very good post. I don’t think anyone is expecting Barnes to sign three or four top 25 players in a class like the blue bloods. I think this is the narrative many want to shape of those critical of Barnes recruiting.
Wait, so he gets paid 26 million over the next 5 yrs and mediocre recruiting is what we should accept as fans? It's that kind of mind set that needs to change.

Reactions: Special Ed
Wait, so he gets paid 26 million over the next 5 yrs and mediocre recruiting is what we should accept as fans? It's that kind of mind set that needs to change.
I agree. Consistently getting classes with multiple top 50 players would be what I’d expect. I don’t think Barnes is going to suffer the baggage of top 15 recruits.

Just have to see what he does with the players he gets.

For a top ten salary one should expect great things from the program every year.

If the program dips significantly next season one can reasonably ask "why did it happen?"

And then ask "should it have happened?".

Paying big bucks should guarantee a top 3 finish in the conference each year.

Reactions: Special Ed
Define mediocre. If he signs Plavsic next season's squad will have a 5 star and 4 4 stars on roster.
I think we are speaking of incoming recruits, not current players. Outside of James the other Freshman are 3 star recruits with Pember likely a red shirt based on what I'm reading. Bottom line is expectations after this season should be high when it comes to recruiting. Right now we need a point guard to back up Turner. With Cone off the board who is next in line?

I think we are speaking of incoming recruits, not current players. Outside of James the other Freshman are 3 star recruits with Pember likely a red shirt based on what I'm reading. Bottom line is expectations after this season should be high when it comes to recruiting. Right now we need a point guard to back up Turner. With Cone off the board who is next in line?
So you don't accept the 247 composites. Some have questioned them. Just asking, no challenge.

And idiot posters reminding of every perceivable misstep. You keep doing you.

Future SmokeyLives posts...

"Big $ Barnes farted at the baseball game."

"Big $ Barnes didn't finish his steak at Texas Roadhouse last night. Oh...the humanity!"

"Can you believe Big $ Money Barnes didn't sign the top 5 players in the 2020 class. What a bum."

"Big $ Barnes isn't a registered organ donor. I hope he dies from liver failure."

"Well, clearly Big $ Barnes saw my earlier post about being an organ donor, and reluctantly registered yesterday. He donated a kidney this afternoon, but can you believe he still wants to keep the other one?!?!? What a jerk! I mean, come on dude, you have $5 million. You can buy new kidneys."

😀

Last edited:
So you don't accept the 247 composites. Some have questioned them. Just asking, no challenge.
Pember and Gaines are 3 star, James is the only 5 star. Don’t know much of the Big coming in. For $26 mill I expect by Coach to recruit better. Lots of shoes to fill this fall. Just my humble opinion.

Pember and Gaines are 3 star, James is the only 5 star. Don’t know much of the Big coming in. For $26 mill I expect by Coach to recruit better. Lots of shoes to fill this fall. Just my humble opinion.

How many top 150 recruits has Tennessee landed over the past two or 3 years? Now how many Tennessee getting this and next?

I think you’ll find a HUGE improvement.

Well 3 of our 4 signees were signed before the contract and he has signed a 4 star since signing the contract. And plus Barnes has a pretty good track record with 3 stars since becoming the head coach here. We could have two possibly three players drafted in this years draft who were 3 stars coming out of high school and three more who have been solid contributors for us and will be even bigger contributors this upcoming season.

Last edited:
The rankings for the four previous recruiting classes of the two teams who played for the national title this year were 33,39,135 and 74 for Texas Tech and 65,98,7 and 62 for Virgina. Besides the one year for Virgina, neither school has killed it in recruiting going by the rankings and zero 5 stars were signed by either school. What they have killed it in is coaching and player development......just like Barnes has done since he's been here.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Have a question for some folks.
Barnes has sent quite a few 3 stars to the NBA. Were they under rated 4-5 stars? Or did Barnes build them into Pro Players?

Is it possible the folks with the recruiting sites who assign these rankings aren’t as good at evaluating talent as CRB? Recruiting sites looked at GW and said 3*. Did CRB look at GW more accurately or was it all his ability to develop players? Would GW have had similar success at whatever college he attended?

The rankings for the four previous recruiting classes of the two teams who played for the national title this year were 33,39,135 and 74 for Texas Tech and 65,98,7 and 62 for Virgina. Besides the one year for Virgina, neither school has killed it in recruiting going by the rankings and zero 5 stars were signed by either school. What they have killed it in is coaching and player development......just like Barnes has done since he's been here.
This is where negotiating the one and done is critical. It is next to difficult to have the turnover it creates and maintain. I do think teams are better to recruit the next rung down and build a team over time. Those results confirm it.

Sure, Duke was hands down the most talented team but galvanizing a bunch of stud freshman is no easy task.

Have a question for some folks.
Barnes has sent quite a few 3 stars to the NBA. Were they under rated 4-5 stars? Or did Barnes build them into Pro Players?

IMO it is a combo...player has to possess the required "skill" and, ultimately, the work ethic but a great coach helps them find that greater "will" (à la Barne's orchestrating Schofield's dad coming in to secretly observe his son during practice) while deftly molding their game to reach their full potential.

Reactions: calban
Is it possible the folks with the recruiting sites who assign these rankings aren’t as good at evaluating talent as CRB? Recruiting sites looked at GW and said 3*. Did CRB look at GW more accurately or was it all his ability to develop players? Would GW have had similar success at whatever college he attended?
Just my opinion but I think Barnes' greatest gift as a coach is the ability to motivate young men to WORK to become the best they can be. Probably the best example of that is Admiral. He was a 3 star , but he was also a workaholic that responded to that type of motivation.
Williams I think was an under rated 4 star who also responded.
Also think he is a better teacher than game coach. He practices hard (remember harder than games) and then expects his guys to do what they've been taught after handing them a scouting report.
His answer to those that don't play like they practice is the quick hook. Guys that don't practice or practice to expectations don't play.
He approaches games like a job. Hence you hear constantly on the side line "Do Your Job!!!"
Over simplification i guess but how I see it.

Let's judge Barnes on wins and losses. I believe Barnes knows the type of players he wants. Some may be highly rated and some may not. We are going to have good teams as long as he is here. We also don't have to worry about the NCAA knocking on our door. I believe Tennessee is in good hands. Probably in a better position than we ever have been with the exception of Mears.

Let's judge Barnes on wins and losses. I believe Barnes knows the type of players he wants. Some may be highly rated and some may not. We are going to have good teams as long as he is here. We also don't have to worry about the NCAA knocking on our door. I believe Tennessee is in good hands. Probably in a better position than we ever have been with the exception of Mears.
I agree. Though I don't think his coaching style will produce a NC he'll leave a solid program behind that frequents conference championship games and goes to the tournament. It will be up to the admin to make an intelligent hire when he retires. If Pruitt succeeds and Barnes sustains, the money will be there.

The entitlement of some "fans" is unbelievable: "I" want this; "I" want that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back