'22 ★★★★★ Class of 2022 Commitments

Well I just know that there's a lot of four and five star receivers on Rivals right now that are uncommitted. I sure would like to trade some of these "5-star heart" players for some actual 5-star players
How many hours of film of these kids have you watched? How many have you seen live? How long have you been a D1 football coach?

How many hours of film of these kids have you watched? How many have you seen live? How long have you been a D1 football coach?
Probably as much as the rest of you couch coaches. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that we aren't getting the best of the best. This is the SEC. You're not going to be a top tier team without consistently recruiting top tier talent. We're recruiting who we can, not who we want. If you think these coaches are looking at these 3 and 2 star players and drooling about their potential, you're diluted. They take the best players on the board that is willing to look. Right now, the best of the best don't appear to be willing to look. Avfew blowout wins showcasing an exciting, high scoring offense will turn heads.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Why aren't we recruiting better?

What's the outlook for the remainder of recruiting season?

Why aren't we recruiting better?

What's the outlook for the remainder of recruiting season?
Portal. I won't be surprised to see almost half the class coming from the transfer portal. Just too many needs and we just don't have the roster/luxury to sign kids and "develop" them. Heupel needs to keep the good vibes and mojo rolling. He can't have a fall back year next year. We need help for next year. You're not gonna get that from a HS class especially at the LOS and at LB.

Portal. I won't be surprised to see almost half the class coming from the transfer portal. Just too many needs and we just don't have the roster/luxury to sign kids and "develop" them. Heupel needs to keep the good vibes and mojo rolling. He can't have a fall back year next year. We need help for next year. You're not gonna get that from a HS class especially at the LOS and at LB.
My thoughts exactly.

Afternoon sir,

What do you think that does to the roster 2-3 years down the road? I remember when Dools didn’t take any Oline guys one year and then it hurt us a couple years later. Do you see something like that happening to us again?
Or do you think this is the new norm?
I was thinking about this yesterday. Let’s say we take 20-25 in this class as freshman. Do we lose 10 plus of these guys down the line to the portal anyways? Is that maybe also why he is going to go big this year on transfers and maybe continue this way in the future?
I apologize is I picked the wrong thread for this. I know the rules are a bit more strict here in the recruiting house.

Probably as much as the rest of you couch coaches. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that we aren't getting the best of the best. This is the SEC. You're not going to be a top tier team without consistently recruiting top tier talent. We're recruiting who we can, not who we want. If you think these coaches are looking at these 3 and 2 star players and drooling about their potential, you're diluted. They take the best players on the board that is willing to look. Right now, the best of the best don't appear to be willing to look. Avfew blowout wins showcasing an exciting, high scoring offense will turn heads.
The funny part of this is that the Recruiting Services Miss the Boat on evaluations because they don't have the staff to evaluate a player and what may not be the right fit for a team. Trust the Coaches, they know more so than the Recruiting Services will ever know. It's a process and a system of which fans look at stars and some coach's look at fit based on need.

Vols need depth. Vols just need to load this class with as many big, fast young men as they can.

There wasn't a recruiting service out there who thought Cedric Tillman was the kind of WR who could consistently reel in 100+ yards in SEC play, let alone go for 200+ against the likes of Georgia.

None of us had a clue that Hendon Hooker would turn out to be one of the top QB's in the SEC. (Harrison Bailey had all the "stars" and Joe Milton had all the "measurables.") Now, we're all sweating whether Hendon Hooker stays or goes.

Don't look at individual stars. Look at 40 times... look at size... and look at overall number of guys they bring in from wherever the staff brings them in.

If they were fresh along the line of scrimmage late in games, last season... they win 10 times and the Dogs and Tide are sweating are little harder down the stretch.

VN Store

Back