The Final Fantasy Thread

I’m about 4 hours into this. It’s ok. I would put it about the same level as that PS4 game Greedfall, like it’s the epitome of “something to play”

I would not at all compare it to Nioh. Nioh is drastically better. So far this game feels very repetitive: Run about 20 feet, hack n slash battle, go 20 more feet, hack n slash battle, eventually reach a boss. Rinse, repeat.

Ok it’s starting to grow on me at 20 hours in… definitely has gotten a lot more difficult, which is a good thing.

with the steam summer sale going on. I thought I might get my first final fantasy game. any recommendations on a good one to start with? graphics is not a huge concern.

with the steam summer sale going on. I thought I might get my first final fantasy game. any recommendations on a good one to start with? graphics is not a huge concern.

Depends on a few things (preferences for turn based/strategy combat or action combat, exploration). The good thing is that most of the games are not connected in terms of story/characters. So you can pick any starting point.

I would recommend FF7 Remake, as the combat is a good mix of action and strategy, the story and graphics are good. But SE is really bad about porting modern games to PC and supposedly it has a lot of issues. It is not open world and is kinda linear. Can probably be brought up to par with fan patches, if you don't mind doing that sort of thing.

Even tho I'm not a fan of FFXIV, it is extremely popular and well liked, but it IS an MMORPG. A lot of people swear by it saying it it is great for even a single player RPG. I think the base game and up to 30 levels are free, but after that you have to pay a monthly fee.

After that:

FFXV has action combat and is open world, and unlike most SE games has a decent PC port. But the combat can be pretty shallow. Flashy and fun, but shallow. Really hard to die in that game. Not very challenging. Story is alright, but side quests are repetetive.

FFX/X-2 HD Remaster is great but keep in mind it has turn based combat and the first game is pretty linear. Very story driven.

FFXII might be a good starting point. Good story, semi open world to explore, and the combat is real time where you can program the AI of your teammates.

FFXIII trilogy is absolutely beautiful even by today's standards, but the PC ports have a ton of problems. XIII has turn based combat and is considered too linear for a lot of people's liking. Similar to FFX in that it is more story driven. And the sequels might be hard to follow if you're not familiar with the first game. More exploration and freedom in the sequels. Lightning Returns has some of the best FF combat there is, and is the predecessor of FF7 Remake's combat, but a lot of people are put off by the time limit in the game and the story.

FFVIII Remaster is really good, but keep in mind it is turn based combat. And the story is pretty melodramatic.

Then you have the pixel remasters. All 2D, all turn based combat. But lots of exploration in all of them. II, IV, and VI have good stories. FFII can be a cheap as there are enemies who will instakill you without any way to protect yourself (coeurls). And it has awful dungeon design. So I would recommend IV and VI, altho you can get all six remasters cheaper in a bundle right now.

Type 0 has exploration and action combat, but it has PC port problems. Decent story, but kinda goes off the rails at the end and needs multiple playthroughs to get the full picture. Dungeon and town map design is pretty bad because it was originally made for handhelds and they never bothered to upgrade the maps.

No opinion of Worlds of Final Fantasy. Never appealed to me because I don't like the character style.

Cannot recommend FFVII (not the Remake) or FFIX. Both are inferior to even the original console releases unless you do lots of modding.

Last edited:
thank you, I'm more looking for turn based on the pc. I think I will go with either 4 or 6.

Depends on a few things (preferences for turn based/strategy combat or action combat, exploration). The good thing is that most of the games are not connected in terms of story/characters. So you can pick any starting point.

I would recommend FF7 Remake, as the combat is a good mix of action and strategy, the story and graphics are good. But SE is really bad about porting modern games to PC and supposedly it has a lot of issues. It is not open world and is kinda linear. Can probably be brought up to par with fan patches, if you don't mind doing that sort of thing.

Even tho I'm not a fan of FFXIV, it is extremely popular and well liked, but it IS an MMORPG. A lot of people swear by it saying it it is great for even a single player RPG. I think the base game and up to 30 levels are free, but after that you have to pay a monthly fee.

After that:

FFXV has action combat and is open world, and unlike most SE games has a decent PC port. But the combat can be pretty shallow. Flashy and fun, but shallow. Really hard to die in that game. Not very challenging. Story is alright, but side quests are repetetive.

FFX/X-2 HD Remaster is great but keep in mind it has turn based combat and the first game is pretty linear. Very story driven.

FFXII might be a good starting point. Good story, semi open world to explore, and the combat is real time where you can program the AI of your teammates.

FFXIII trilogy is absolutely beautiful even by today's standards, but the PC ports have a ton of problems. XIII has turn based combat and is considered too linear for a lot of people's liking. Similar to FFX in that it is more story driven. And the sequels might be hard to follow if you're not familiar with the first game. More exploration and freedom in the sequels. Lightning Returns has some of the best FF combat there is, and is the predecessor of FF7 Remake's combat, but a lot of people are put off by the time limit in the game and the story.

FFVIII Remaster is really good, but keep in mind it is turn based combat. And the story is pretty melodramatic.

Then you have the pixel remasters. All 2D, all turn based combat. But lots of exploration in all of them. II, IV, and VI have good stories. FFII can be a cheap as there are enemies who will instakill you without any way to protect yourself (coeurls). And it has awful dungeon design. So I would recommend IV and VI, altho you can get all six remasters cheaper in a bundle right now.

Type 0 has exploration and action combat, but it has PC port problems. Decent story, but kinda goes off the rails at the end and needs multiple playthroughs to get the full picture. Dungeon and town map design is pretty bad because it was originally made for handhelds and they never bothered to upgrade the maps.

No opinion of Worlds of Final Fantasy. Never appealed to me because I don't like the character style.

Cannot recommend FFVII (not the Remake) or FFIX. Both are inferior to even the original console releases unless you do lots of modding.

Hold on, hold on… what?? VII? The bolded, you’re talking about the actual greatest game of all time, not just the best FF game.

@alwaysvol by all means start with VII, it’s incredible.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Hold on, hold on… what?? VII? The bolded, you’re talking about the actual greatest game of all time, not just the best FF game.

We're talking about the Steam version tho (due to the Steam sale that's going). And the Steam version is inferior unless you do a bunch of mods. If that's someone's first experience with FF7, it might leave a bad impression.

If you're gonna play FF7 on PC, I'd just recommend getting a Switch emulator because that version is better. Same goes for FF9.

We're talking about the Steam version tho (due to the Steam sale that's going). And the Steam version is inferior unless you do a bunch of mods. If that's someone's first experience with FF7, it might leave a bad impression.

If you're gonna play FF7 on PC, I'd just recommend getting a Switch emulator because that version is better. Same goes for FF9.

Ah I see. Ok that makes sense.

I have just now started Shadowbringers for FFXIV. I really take my time with this game, but seem to always come back to it for a bit
'

I have just now started Shadowbringers for FFXIV. I really take my time with this game, but seem to always come back to it for a bit
'

I'm just now getting into the post Shadowbringers quests. It's so easy to get sidetracked doing different quest lines, getting sucked into the story lines from other jobs, crafting, etc. They did such a great job with this game.
I've been playing off and on for about a year now and getting closer to the end is frustrating because I've enjoyed it so much.

I'm just now getting into the post Shadowbringers quests. It's so easy to get sidetracked doing different quest lines, getting sucked into the story lines from other jobs, crafting, etc. They did such a great job with this game.
I've been playing off and on for about a year now and getting closer to the end is frustrating because I've enjoyed it so much.
One of the best games I have ever played and its so involved and so much to do that I have to take breaks from it every now and then. I did get my first relic weapon last night.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The DioField Chronicle.

This seems to be SE’s answer to everyone who always wanted a Tactics sequel (meeee). Not sure how to feel about this one.

They're also doing Tactics Ogre: Reborn, which is a remaster of the game that FF Tactics was based off of:

Pretty bummed out by this. This looks less FF Tactics and more RTS. I was REALLY hoping it would be a new age tactics. This looks like I could play it on my iPhone.

One of the best games I have ever played and its so involved and so much to do that I have to take breaks from it every now and then. I did get my first relic weapon last night.

Did you ever finish Endwalker? I wrapped it up right before moving into GoW Ragnarok. It might be the most enjoyable game I've ever played, which is crazy considering it took me well over a year to finish the whole thing. I had to cancel my subscription to force me to move onto other things.

PS5 bundle announced...

PS5 Final Fantasy XVI Bundle, limited edition DualSense Wireless Controller and console cover announced - Gematsu

PS5-FF16-Bundle_04-26-23_Top-320x180.jpg

PS5-FF16-Controller_04-26-23_001.jpg

PS5-FF16-Controller_04-26-23_002.jpg

PS5-FF16-Cover_04-26-23_001.jpg

Reactions: 99grad and Pennheel
Delayed to 2024, will be two discs so I imagine it will be huge. This trailer looks really really good. They're about to really change up the story, for better or worse.

Delayed to 2024, will be two discs so I imagine it will be huge. This trailer looks really really good. They're about to really change up the story, for better or worse.

It looks incredible! I loved the first one and this looks even better! I cannot wait!

Did you ever finish Endwalker? I wrapped it up right before moving into GoW Ragnarok. It might be the most enjoyable game I've ever played, which is crazy considering it took me well over a year to finish the whole thing. I had to cancel my subscription to force me to move onto other things.
Nah, will get back into it at some point though

It's sitting at home taunting me. As luck would have it I'm leaving on a trip for a week so it'll have to wait till I get back. All the reviews I've seen are overwhelmingly positive.

The positive reviews on the story are what have me so optimistic. FF is at its best when the story is really good.

...... and when it's turn-based, but that's a different conversation for another day :)

VN Store

Back