The Atlanta Braves Thread

Do you think that Ozzie, Freddie, Ozuna, and Dansby won't hit all year?
Dansby has only had a small sample size of good hitting. Ozuna well hes had a bad year or two. Ozzie maybe its too soon to really know about him. But the bigges issue is the pen being trash. Jones is terrible and Matzek is due for some regression. Also Riley is who knows and Pache isnt a good hitter.

Not worried about Freddie, but the other 3 can go long stretches of cold hitting.
Being streaky is one thing, but those guys have career BAs of .275, .294, .276, and .248. Even Dansby, who isn't a great hitter, is currently nearly 50 points below his career average. Even if he has an off year offensively, there's no way he continues at this pace all year.

This team's issue looks to be starting pitching (especially if we don't get much from Soroka this year), then the bullpen. Once you get past Max (I don't think he struggles all year either), the rotation is filled with question marks (Morton, Smyly) and limited sample sizes (Anderson, Ynoa/Wright/Wilson/etc.).

We're just 4 starts in. You think he has a repeat of his 2018 and 2019 seasons at age 37?
I have a lot more faith in what he’s done over the last decade than what anyone else has done in their MLB careers, combined. If he fades or gets hurt it is what it is but he’s far and away the safest bet we’ve got.

I have a lot more faith in what he’s done over the last decade than what anyone else has done in their MLB careers, combined. If he fades or gets hurt it is what it is but he’s far and away the safest bet we’ve got.
And off to a good start lol

Nobody expects that. Heand Smyly were brought in to eat innings in the middle of the rotation.
Correct, but the problem is that given the rest of the rotation, it looks like they are going to need to do more than just that. That's my point.

This rotation needs Fried, Soroka, and Anderson to carry it with Smyly and Morton to eat innings and keep the team in games. When you start needing to rely on Morton to be one of your better starters it's a problem.

Correct, but the problem is that given the rest of the rotation, it looks like they are going to need to do more than just that. That's my point.

This rotation needs Fried, Soroka, and Anderson to carry it with Smyly and Morton to eat innings and keep the team in games. When you start needing to rely on Morton to be one of your better starters it's a problem.

Morton finished 3rd in the Cy Young race in 2019 and has a 2.78 ERA in the last three postseasons. He’s a legit dude.

Drew Smyly has thrown 700 IP in his 8 year career. He’s topped 100 IP three (barely) times

He was not brought here to eat innings. He was brought here because his velo ticked up and he flashed the ability to be a double digit K/9 starter when healthy enough to take the mound.

Something we don’t have.

Charlie Morton is 37 years old, has never pitched 200 IP in a season and has only sniffed it once.

He was not brought here to eat in innings. He was brought here because he’s been a true no 1 with postseason success and a leader to our pitching staff.

Something we don’t have.

There’s guys were signed as differences makers, not innings fillers. You can debate their merit all you want but I’d contest you’re misguided on the purpose.

Reactions: AV_12
Morton was brought in to start playoff games guys
I agree. My point was that he wasn't brought in to be an Ace and I don't think anybody expects him to contend for the Cy Young. He's supposed to be the reliable 2ish-3 guy behind Fried and Soroka and provide leadership.

VN Store

Back